The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Custom Ritchey Break-Away (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211079)

Clancy 09-21-2017 11:23 AM

Custom Ritchey Break-Away

I inquired on this forum a while back as to which custom builders are licensed to use the Ritchey Break-Away coupler system. Although I got a few leads, I wondered if there were more builders.

I currently have a 54cm steel Ritchey Break-Away which I dearly love. However it's just not the right size. Unfortunately the geometry of any of the Break-Aways simply won't work for me.

With that said I attempted to contact Ritchey via their web page to ask about a list of licensed builders. However, there is no direct email nor does their seem to be a form on line although the site mentions one.

So, two questions.

One, does anyone have a contact for Ritchey?

(I could call, but not sure if that would be the best way to obtain a list)

Or, does anyone know of a way to find out who are the builders that can use the coupler system?

As always, this forum is great! Thanks

mhespenheide 09-21-2017 11:48 AM

I don't have a list or contact information... but I do know that Curtlo offers custom frames with the BreakAway system.

https://www.curtlo.com/index.html

shovelhd 09-21-2017 12:14 PM

I hear ya about the geometry. I have a BreakAway Cross and it's very different than my race bike. It takes some adjustment and compromise.

sales guy 09-21-2017 12:29 PM

our guys have done both a Break Away version and the S&S coupler version. They prefer the S&S. BUT, if the tubing is shaped, it's tougher to use the S&S versions. Which is when we switch to the Ritchey couplers.

I prefer the S&S model. The Ritchey ones, on the BreakAway i have, it is a flexy frame. Also, I've had to have the downtube coupler redone twice. The clamps can and have come loose for me which leads to the tubing getting damaged. Tom's been super nice in repairing them. But honestly, for a larger/taller rider, the BreakAway couplers aren't solid enough. Also, the BreakAway case is not airline regs legal. The S&S is. And for the bigger size BreakAway frames like mine, the frame fits super snug in the case. Kind of bulges out a bit.

foo_fighter 09-21-2017 12:33 PM

RockLobster!
I had 2 BreakAway / S&S hybrids done through him and another guy liked my frames and paint so much, he also did the same thing.

sandyrs 09-21-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_fighter (Post 2236734)
RockLobster!
I had 2 BreakAway / S&S hybrids done through him and another guy liked my frames and paint so much, he also did the same thing.

Interesting, which location had which coupler style?

foo_fighter 09-21-2017 12:48 PM

The down tube has the S/S coupler. It seemed more robust than the clamp that the breakaway has.

Speaking of BreakAway, this looks like a cool rig:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/20...dventure-bike/

But you could go custom for less than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyrs (Post 2236741)
Interesting, which location had which coupler style?

ColonelJLloyd 09-21-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_fighter (Post 2236745)
Speaking of BreakAway, this looks like a cool rig:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/20...dventure-bike/

I hope that fork is available separately.

eBAUMANN 09-21-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd (Post 2236752)
I hope that fork is available separately.

i hope that fork is available with a 15mm insert ;)

im pretty sure that any insured framebuilder can order breakaway components from ritchey.

jtakeda 09-21-2017 02:31 PM

Mikkelsen

ColonelJLloyd 09-21-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBAUMANN (Post 2236808)
i hope that fork is available with a 15mm insert ;)

Aw, hell. Didn't notice that. Certainly looks possible. Is that a Ritchey specific system? Alternatively, I wonder if my 15x100 hub would work with a shim because that fork doesn't look to have a cutout.

metalheart 09-21-2017 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It might be worth a look at Bill Holland's jet frame, a breakaway style design that might work for you.... This packs in a very compact case.

Clancy 09-21-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sales guy (Post 2236733)
our guys have done both a Break Away version and the S&S coupler version. They prefer the S&S. BUT, if the tubing is shaped, it's tougher to use the S&S versions. Which is when we switch to the Ritchey couplers.

I prefer the S&S model. The Ritchey ones, on the BreakAway i have, it is a flexy frame. Also, I've had to have the downtube coupler redone twice. The clamps can and have come loose for me which leads to the tubing getting damaged. Tom's been super nice in repairing them. But honestly, for a larger/taller rider, the BreakAway couplers aren't solid enough. Also, the BreakAway case is not airline regs legal. The S&S is. And for the bigger size BreakAway frames like mine, the frame fits super snug in the case. Kind of bulges out a bit.

Weights not too big of a concern, I weigh 155lbs kitted up. I've never experienced any flexing with my current Ritchey. I do like the beefed up coupler that's on the carbon break away.

Great leads so far....

Anyone know how to email Ritchey?

AngryScientist 09-21-2017 04:29 PM

if you're going custom anyway, i would absolutely do S&S couplers over breakaway system. I own both systems and that's my opinion.

Clancy 09-21-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2236876)
if you're going custom anyway, i would absolutely do S&S couplers over breakaway system. I own both systems and that's my opinion.

Expand?

I've been happy with my Ritchey Break Away and have shied away from S&S couplers due to the weight.

The Break Away bag is ok, I can see where the S&S case is certainty better.