The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How many Paceliners have you met in person? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=301549)

cgolvin 11-18-2023 03:46 PM

How many Paceliners have you met in person?

I met a new PLer this past week, the usual delightful experience (hi carlucci), and it got me thinking about how many of y'all I have had the pleasure of meeting IRL. I suspect that my list is quite a bit shorter than many of yours; most have included a ride as well.

With apologies in advance to anyone I may have forgotten, here's my list (this is only people I met here, there are a number of Paceliners I know through another channel):
  • Waldo62 (my brother in our quest for 1 million feet in a year … damned deer)
  • XXtwindad
  • KJMUNC
  • SoCalSteve
  • AngryScientist
  • RCCARDR
  • Spaghetti Legs
  • Carlucci
  • LivesAdventure
  • jtbadge
  • whateveronfire
  • mhespenheide (who generously gave me his Brooklyn jersey so I could do my de Vlaeminck impersonation at Eroica)
I believe there were one or two others I met at Eroica, sharing pizza with RCCARDR et al the night before the ride, buy my aging brain can't retrieve their handles.

Honorable mention to Peter B since he met my brother in person to loan me a bike.

One of these days Clean39T and lavi will get it together for Taco Camp and we'll meet in person.

jasonification 11-18-2023 04:52 PM

So far I've met:
BRad704 (when I lived in Memphis for a year)
hairylegs (when I lived in Santa Barbara)
Steve in SLO (when I visited SLO)

cgolvin graciously dropped off a Pearl Izumi windbreaker for me that I still use!

I've also met with martinez when I sold him some stuff.

All class acts all around!

cgolvin 11-18-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonification (Post 3318182)
cgolvin graciously dropped off a Pearl Izumi windbreaker for me that I still use!

D'oh! Sorry about that Jason.

vav 11-18-2023 04:59 PM

I'll play. Quite a few and none disappointed me.

ahsere
pinkshogun
angryscientist
william
bruce k
markie
cp43
pegoready
temeyone
quattro
old_crank
stien
e-richie ;)
Tyler Evans
bicycletricycle
likes2ridefar
bikerboy

Pretty sure I m forgetting a couple more

C40_guy 11-18-2023 05:02 PM

Great question...

As far as I know, only two:

HilltopperNY, who I bought a bike from
...and Bob Ross...Bob and I worked together but that was long before PL or the Internet! :)

Matthew 11-18-2023 05:09 PM

Unfortunately, none. Would love to do a group ride of west Michigan Paceliners if there are any interested.

tepextate 11-18-2023 05:26 PM

None! If anyone is based in Boulder/Denver area and interested in meeting up for a ride, let me know. :)

XXtwindad 11-18-2023 05:28 PM

I think I’ve forged some pretty good friendships with Paceliners over the years. Very lucky to have met them:

1) Cgolvin. My editor-in-chief and and grammarian. Also expert tour guide for the Santa Monica mountains.

2) Waldo62 (née 82Picchio) Vlad and I will always have the “origin story:” https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...zy+coincidence

3) Prototoast. My go-to expert on bike tech and economics.

4) Shrimp123. My other go-to expert on bike tech. We’ve been training together twice a week for 2 1/2 years via Zoom. I’ve seen him more than any other Paceliner. So, I’m counting it, even if we’ve never met in person.

5) Lavi. If I was stranded on a desert island, he’d be among the top five people I’d take with me. I don’t know that he could devise a way off the island, but he’d probably make sure we at least had a good time while we were there.

6) EricChanning. The last few months have been a **** show with current events. He’s been a total rock. Plus, he’s forced me to up my sartorial game.

William 11-18-2023 06:09 PM

Many Rambles

Quote:

Originally Posted by vav (Post 3318186)

ahsere
pinkshogun
angryscientist
william
bruce k
markie
cp43
pegoready
temeyone
quattro
old_crank
stien
e-richie ;)
Tyler Evans
bicycletricycle
likes2ridefar
bikerboy

Pretty sure I m forgetting a couple more

Good times my friend!:beer:

W.

cgolvin 11-18-2023 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vav (Post 3318186)

angryscientist
william
bruce k

Fifty percent of the current mods, that's pretty good.

XXtwindad 11-18-2023 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgolvin (Post 3318212)
Fifty percent of the current mods, that's pretty good.

AKA the Paceliner least likely to get a “time out.”

Gummee 11-18-2023 06:33 PM

Just one: e-richie Set up next to him at a CX race a few years back.

M

roydyates 11-18-2023 06:34 PM

only 3?

Only 3 as far as I know:
veloduffer: we did a ride around Camden Maine

Oldpotatoe: I wandered into Vecchios 10+ years ago … but I didn’t introduce myself as a paceliner. Now that I think about it, maybe this site was still Serotta Forum.

goonster: (I think that was his name. … is he still around?) We met on a NJ randonneurs ride years ago.

nighthawk 11-18-2023 07:56 PM

Just two that I can think of, chriscap and Clean39t… though having ridden a few D2R2s, I’m sure I’ve met others and didn’t realize it.

oliver1850 11-18-2023 08:02 PM

Everyone I've met through the site has been great to ride and/or deal with and/or dine/drink with. Some are sadly missing, from the site and direct contact. Geographic range of the members at time of meeting is from Minneapolis to Des Moines to STL to Birmingham AL to Decatur IL to LaFayette IN to Chicago to Madison. Several members have moved since I've seen them: AL to IN, IL to Atlanta, WI to Boston. Several members' wives would be included if they had screen names. I'm hoping I don't leave someone out. In no particular order:

buldogge
thwart
Andrewlcox
thirdgenbird
FastVegan
Tandem Rider
josephr
kentileguy
Dromen
Force
mcallen
spunky goat