The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Recommend a good hand pump for jersey pocket (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202155)

msl819 03-19-2017 06:56 PM

Recommend a good hand pump for jersey pocket

After a two flat day yesterday and an almost fail on my last CO2, I want to try a good hand pump that fits comfortably in a jersey pocket. What are you guys using? What's the best on the market in terms of reliability and ability to air up a tire to 100 plus psi in a reasonable amount of time?

bpm 03-19-2017 07:03 PM

Any pump that will fit in a jersey pocket isn't going to be ideal for getting a tire up to 100psi, and doing so in a reasonable amount of pump strokes. Having said that, I have a Lezyne Pressure Drive S that I've been happy with. Overall it seems really solid and well made. It will hit about 100psi while many others won't get to that pressure. It takes quite a few strokes, but it's what I expected when I bought the pump.

Lovetoclimb 03-19-2017 07:06 PM

The mini Silca makes some nice claims. Personally have not had to use mine yet but it's a nice product in a small package. I know lots of people with the Lezyne mini pumps that are very satisfied as well.

MagicHour 03-19-2017 07:15 PM

I carry a Blackburn Airstik mini SL in my jersey as backup to my co2. Thing is tiny and light-about the size of a small size cigar tube. Will get you to 80 or 90 psi with effort, but works fine for a backup.

dustyrider 03-19-2017 07:23 PM

Lezyne road drive is nice in a jersey pocket.
Topeak peak master blaster.
I also have the master blaster frame pump.
Blackburn used to make a good hand pump, but I went with Topeak and lezyne a few years ago.

I did just order a silca pocket pump to see what all the fuss was about!

OtayBW 03-19-2017 07:28 PM

Leyzyne Pressure Drive. It'll get you home....

Chief 03-19-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHour (Post 2144869)
I carry a Blackburn Airstik mini SL in my jersey as backup to my co2. Thing is tiny and light-about the size of a small size cigar tube. Will get you to 80 or 90 psi with effort, but works fine for a backup.

The Airstik works for me.

cadence90 03-19-2017 08:43 PM

I don't like pumps in my jersey pockets, and a small frame pump is more efficient, so I used to have a Barbieri CarbOne and now have a Silca Tattico mini-pump. With extra bottle cage clamps for 4 bicycles, it is light, easily switched, less than half the cost of a Pocket Impero, and really good.

Louis 03-19-2017 08:45 PM

+1 on Lezyne Road Drive

jasonification 03-19-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadence90 (Post 2144910)
I don't like pumps in my jersey pockets, and a small frame pump is more efficient, so I used to have a Barbieri CarbOne and now have a Silca Tattico mini-pump. With extra bottle cage clamps for 4 bicycles, it is light, easily switched, less than half the cost of a Pocket Impero, and really good.

+1 on this. I had a pump jump out of my pocket while descending...broke the flexible hose! Gah

Louis 03-19-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadence90 (Post 2144910)
I don't like pumps in my jersey pockets

For what it's worth, I don't even notice the frame pump when it's in a jersey pocket. YMMV

Another benefit of the compacts is that if you ride multiple bikes you only need one, not several frame pumps. (unless you're wiling to keep switching the frame pump from bike, to bike, which is a option, if one fits them all, but a bit of a hassle)

cadence90 03-19-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 2144930)
For what it's worth, I don't even notice the frame pump when it's in a jersey pocket. YMMV

Another benefit of the compacts is that if you ride multiple bikes you only need one, not several frame pumps. (unless you're wiling to keep switching the frame pump from bike, to bike, which is a option, if one fits them all, but a bit of a hassle)

As jasonification pointed out, pumps in pockets can fall out.

4 bicycles + 4 sets of bottle cage clamps + 1 Tattico = 0 switching hassle.
The Tattico is not a sized frame pump like the Impero; it is a "mini" frame pump, smaller than a frame pump, but much larger than a pocket pump.

Louis 03-19-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadence90 (Post 2144935)
As jasonification pointed out, pumps in pockets can fall out.

Are we talking road or MTB?

Hasn't happened to me (yet?) on the road, but sure, I can see that happening on an MTB.

jasonification 03-19-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 2144938)
Are we talking road or MTB?

Hasn't happened to me (yet?) on the road, but sure, I can see that happening on an MTB.

road unfortunately..hit a pothole if i remember correctly

msl819 03-20-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 2144930)

This way my line of thinking. I have a saddle bag on all my bikes and plan to keep them, stocked with the necessities, but I was thinking a pump in a pocket would be easy to take on whichever bike, just part of what I stash in the rear pockets. Thanks for the recommendations. Ill see what info I can find on each. It will mostly be for peace of mind knowing that if a CO2 fails I can get home with a hand pump even if it is at a lower than desired psi.