The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pedal question: PD M9120 vs PD M9100 XTR vs XTR (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=306227)

saab2000 04-23-2024 09:04 AM

Pedal question: PD M9120 vs PD M9100 XTR vs XTR

Curious for those who have used or use the pedal with the platform vs more traditional pedal.

I need a set for a bike that currently has no pedals as I'm tired of switching pedals every time I want to ride that bike.

Curious about opinions. I currently have the traditional ones but am wondering there's an upside to the larger platform.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...SHI00LR/BK.jpg
https://content.competitivecyclist.c...SHI00LQ/BK.jpg

AngryScientist 04-23-2024 09:11 AM

I have used both.

With modern mtb shoes with very stiff carbon soles, I can not tell one bit of difference between the two.

Last year, or a couple of years ago, I started a thread, and sought out the most roadlike mtb shoes and settled on a nice pair of Shimano shoes that are nice and light and stiff like a road shoe. I dont really think the platform on the pedal adds anything with a shoe like that.

Disclaimer, I'm reasonably lightweight and low power output.

charliedid 04-23-2024 09:27 AM

My take is you get the most out of those 9120 pedals wearing an all-mountain style (flat) vs more of a cross country shoe. The CC shoes don't seem to make as much contact on that back part. Some people also like the bigger pedal due to rock strikes...

Either way

benb 04-23-2024 09:30 AM

I'm at least medium size (6'1", currently a little heavy at 180) and I agree with charliedid and angryscientiest.

I put out plenty of power and I don't even go for the stiffest shoes (mine are probably rated trail or all mountain or whatever, they're not full carbon) for MTB and I still have never gotten any benefit out of the platform.

And I very much value the pedal being more svelte to let me fit through smaller spaces before I do worry about rock strikes. I am way more likely to thread through things than try and jump things or ride right over them.

saab2000 04-23-2024 09:33 AM

Thanks for those opinions. I’ll get the standard pedal.

EB 04-23-2024 10:05 AM

Can confirm what charliedid said, the platform style is most relevant to all-mountain-style shoes, and for those shoes, it provides a better surface for cornering mountain bikes (dependent on technique). Totally irrelevant to stiff XC or "gravel" style shoes.

And I say this as someone who runs Saint pedals on their FS bike. :)

BRad704 04-23-2024 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 3375965)
I have used both.

With modern mtb shoes with very stiff carbon soles, I can not tell one bit of difference between the two.

Last year, or a couple of years ago, I started a thread, and sought out the most roadlike mtb shoes and settled on a nice pair of Shimano shoes that are nice and light and stiff like a road shoe. I dont really think the platform on the pedal adds anything with a shoe like that.

Disclaimer, I'm reasonably lightweight and low power output.

Same stiff shoe experience for me. I can’t tell any difference.

I do like having the larger platform on one bike, in case i ride with sneakers to the park with the kids.

Old School 04-23-2024 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Allowing people to test ride my choice of pedal, they unanimously agree the earlier version is worth seeking out even with carbon shoes. The extra few millimeters on the outboard side has been immediately noticed when riding back to back with the later version in your picture.

Likes2ridefar 04-23-2024 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EB (Post 3375986)
Can confirm what charliedid said, the platform style is most relevant to all-mountain-style shoes, and for those shoes, it provides a better surface for cornering mountain bikes (dependent on technique). Totally irrelevant to stiff XC or "gravel" style shoes.

And I say this as someone who runs Saint pedals on their FS bike. :)

And I blame you for the scars on my left leg :) “cornering technique”..it works though but has taken a lot of practice!!! I’m able to mostly manage it on xtr 9100 but definitely see the benefit going to the platform and shoes using that method…

Soloist604 04-23-2024 12:21 PM

Having used both, my experience is that the "feeling" between both platform and non-platform is negligible when clipped in. I tend to use the platform pedals on bikes that I might want to use with normal street shoes in a pinch.

eippo1 04-23-2024 08:01 PM

So I use both and actually have the platform M8120 on my gravel and short travel full suspension bikes. For mtb, I appreciate it for hard cornering and it helps me mentally to reinforce where I should have my weight.

I use them on the gravel bike because I was getting hot spots on my foot and swapped them and surprisingly it got rid of them, so I got a pair for that bike and have been happy since.

I'm building up an XC hardtail and will most likely use the traditional 9100 pedals for that since I'll need more clearances to finesse my way through rock gardens and my style is different on hard tails. Note that I use flats with pins for my long travel mtb.

Hilltopperny 04-24-2024 05:37 AM

I use both on all of my bikes or an XT variant. I like the platform style and feel like out of the saddle I can tell a tiny difference. I like the platform for mtbing and hard out of the saddle efforts.

I am 225lbs and only 5'8, so not a typical cyclist body. I swapped a set just yesterday as the Look road pedals that came on my Mxxxxxo were creaking under hard out of the saddle efforts. Pretty sure it was the clear interface, but still drove me nuts. We did some 7 mile fast loop repeats yesterday and the XT pedals with the extra platform didn't even have a tiny creak!

I run the latest Sidi Drako shoes, so plenty stiff. My Mosaic has the non platform version as does my Serotta Legend. I don't have any issues with them at all and they work for me as well. I would say the difference is still pretty negligible all things considered.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

C40_guy 04-24-2024 05:41 AM

With my mtb shoes clipped into the 9120s I saw zero additional engagement - the shoe did not contact the platform anywhere. I *do* have a set on my fat tire bike as I occasionally ride unclipped (based on terrain).

Old School 04-24-2024 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C40_guy (Post 3376269)
With my mtb shoes clipped into the 9120s I saw zero additional engagement - the shoe did not contact the platform anywhere. I *do* have a set on my fat tire bike as I occasionally ride unclipped (based on terrain).

This is correct, and common.

However....if you use Shimano "Trail" shoes, the interface is perfect!

scopes 04-24-2024 01:41 PM

I have both styles and find the platform to be helpful for aligning the pedal while mountain biking and navigating tricky terrain while re-clipping after stopping or foot down.

If you ever ride the bike without clip shoes the platform is also nice.