The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Matt & Robbie vs. Phil & Paul (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=208433)

drewellison 07-27-2017 11:35 AM

Matt & Robbie vs. Phil & Paul

My wife and I have decided we like the commentary of Matthew Keenan and Robbie McEwen (on the NBCSportsGold service) better than Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin (no introduction needed for these guys).

I am so tired of hearing Paul talk about "a job of work" and "a nasty little this" or "a nasty little that".

What say you?

ntb1001 07-27-2017 01:34 PM

I like Matt & Robbie, especially McEwens real insight. My son who is a real sports fan picked up on McEwen right away...he was watching with me and commented on how the announcer was really good and knew his stuff.

I do miss listening to Phil & Paul a bit though...for nostalgic reasons only.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Clean39T 07-27-2017 01:34 PM

Same here, except my wife doesn't really tolerate any of them - headphones were my friend.

MattTuck 07-27-2017 01:41 PM

Did they ever mention Fabian Aru? :p

William 07-27-2017 01:43 PM

What, no Lance and JB option?

:)

William

FlashUNC 07-27-2017 02:22 PM

Phil and Paul needed to go to pasture long ago.

Give me Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly any day.

drewellison 07-27-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2210172)
Phil and Paul needed to go to pasture long ago.

My threshold of acceptable commentary is that it be in English and that I can understand over 50% of the words. I'm not sure if Sean meets either one of those. :no:

Jgrooms 07-27-2017 03:07 PM

To say PL is past his prime is being kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashUNC 07-27-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewellison (Post 2210182)
My threshold of acceptable commentary is that it be in English and that I can understand over 50% of the words. I'm not sure if Sean meets either one of those. :no:

And Phil saying Team Kelme is in the break is somehow better?

Kelly at least can still give real insight into a race and what's happening in a particular move.

Phil's too busy misidentifying guys as riders who retired 25 years ago.

Jaybee 07-27-2017 04:44 PM

I do prefer McEwen/Keenan myself, but I think a lot of casual fans (test case: my wife) think that Phil/Paul are a cultural part of the race. Like Verne Lundquist is SEC football, or Bill Raftery is March Madness, or Marv Albert is NBA. None of those guys have their fastball anymore, but there's a comforting familiarity there. My wife doesn't know enough to care that Phil is just guessing at rider names at this point.

I got into cycling in the -7 era, and I will grudgingly admit to the super-fredliness of still hearing Phil's voice in my head when I get out of the saddle on a climb. :o

rustychisel 07-27-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntb1001 (Post 2210125)
I like Matt & Robbie, especially McEwens real insight. My son who is a real sports fan picked up on McEwen right away...he was watching with me and commented on how the announcer was really good and knew his stuff.

I do miss listening to Phil & Paul a bit though...for nostalgic reasons only.

+ 1

Unfortunately Keenan is as exciting as watching grass grow and talks cr4p about someone's 8th place in a race 5 years earlier because he memorised it.... McEwen is really growing into the role (& he's only been commentating for about 3 years)

Hindmost 07-27-2017 09:06 PM

McEwen has surprised me. I didn't expect a scrappy sprinter type to be a knowledgeable, articulate commentator.

rousseau 07-27-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2210172)

Yep. I honestly don't know why you'd watch anything other than Eurosport for racing. Carlton Kirby's infectious enthusiasm, extensive knowledge and witty asides are pure joy. Can't imagine the Tour without him.

Though I do miss David Harmon.

Bruce K 07-28-2017 05:14 AM

When I was watching I preferred Matt & Robbie for commentary content but, having met Phil and Paul, I would still listen to them for a while.

Plus, as others mentioned, there is a sort of "It's not the same withoutt them" feel about it all.

BK