The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cicadas (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=306504)

Elefantino 05-02-2024 11:02 AM

Cicadas

On the ride this morning the sound all over the area was loooooouuuuud! :eek:

I found about two dozen of those buggers on one of our newly planted apple trees and they don't come off easily.

Good thing this is only once every seven years.

nobuseri 05-02-2024 11:15 AM

Northern VA here; we get them every year, but this year is going to be significantly worse than the usual. Definitely loud, and they leave molting shells all over trees/light colored walls, etc.

That said, I may try a cicada taco (or some other delicacy) this time around :banana:

reuben 05-02-2024 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobuseri (Post 3378991)
Northern VA here; we get them every year, but this year is going to be significantly worse than the usual. Definitely loud, and they leave molting shells all over trees/light colored walls, etc.

That said, I may try a cicada taco (or some other delicacy) this time around :banana:

From what I've read we'll have two broods this year. No sign of them yet.

shadco 05-02-2024 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 3378982)

I found about two dozen of those buggers on one of our newly planted apple trees and they don't come off easily.

Rode a little east of you today and haven’t noticed any yet.

ColonelJLloyd 05-02-2024 12:42 PM

We had Brook X re-emerge here in 2021. The volume is wild.

We couldn't leave our puppy out unattended because she would eat, eat, eat.

zap 05-02-2024 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadco (Post 3379034)
Rode a little east of you today and haven’t noticed any yet.

Head a little south and west to Regency, Cary.......it's pretty loud. Almost had an on the go snack while riding earlier today.

We also planted small trees earlier this year. Have to keep a close eye on them (or buy a net) next week or so.......egg laying time.

shadco 05-02-2024 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap (Post 3379114)
Head a little south and west to Regency, Cary.......it's pretty loud. Almost had an on the go snack while riding earlier today.

We also planted small trees earlier this year. Have to keep a close eye on them (or buy a net) next week or so.......egg laying time.

Did the farmers market to lake Johnson center to pullen park and back to the market didn’t notice any.

Alistair 05-02-2024 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobuseri (Post 3378991)

Nope, for all the news, NovA/DC isn't getting a periodical brood this year, just the Dog Days annual cicadas in later summer.

The double-brood swings from the mid-West down into western GA, but doesnt' really hit mid-Atlantic.

Details and map here...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...merge-in-2024/

Alistair 05-02-2024 03:53 PM

Quote:

Are they actually damaging to apple trees? I know they tap into small twigs for moisture/feeding, but don't recall ever reading that the damage is lasting or problematic.

zap 05-02-2024 04:30 PM

Cicadas here in RTP started coming up out of the ground this past weekend. They climb bushes/trees, get out of their shells and fly around.

Cicadas are partying right now.

Female Cicadas cut slits into small branches and lay eggs in them. Small branches die, break off and fall to the ground. This process is what can kill saplings.

cgolvin 05-02-2024 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap (Post 3379114)
Almost had an on the go snack while riding earlier today.

So no need to carry nutrition with protein, just carbs.

capt_velo 05-02-2024 05:11 PM

Quote:

I hate it when they hit you in the face on a ride.

reuben 05-02-2024 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt_velo (Post 3379155)
I hate it when they hit you in the face on a ride.

Every rider has a plan until they get hit by a cicada.

Veloo 05-02-2024 06:52 PM

https://vimeo.com/66688653

Elefantino 05-06-2024 08:13 AM

Update: My wife has a NextDoor account and EVERY DAY since the cicadas have arrived, there has been a "what is that noise?" question posted. Some of the funniest answers:
  • Aliens, alien spaceships
  • Stormtroopers
  • Something going wrong at the nuclear plant
  • 5G
  • Cement graders
  • Beavers