The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   HR high.. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=108954)

FixedNotBroken 05-02-2012 06:17 PM

HR high..

I have been going on rides lately where I'm not putting a ton of effort but my HR is staying at 195-197 and it feels like I'm working harder than I am..it's cut a few rides short and I'm not sure what's going on. Any help would be appreciated.

2LeftCleats 05-02-2012 06:35 PM

It could be a number of things. Not knowing your age, health history and fitness level, I can only speculate.

High heart rates can occur with overtraining. Could be a sign of cardiac disease, thyroid problems, or other illnesses. If you are older and this is something new, may be worth getting checked out medically. Hard to offer advice without more info than can be obtained on the internet.

rnhood 05-02-2012 06:42 PM

Its possible there is some atrial fibrillation going on. I would go see a cardio doc. A stress test will likely show up the issue. You may also be prescribed a heart monitor for a week or so. They are very small now and unobtrusive. Of course you may also be dehydrated - this will lead to a rise in HR, especially if you are trying to lose weight. In any event, its worth seeing a doctor.

FixedNotBroken 05-02-2012 06:51 PM

I'm 21..5'7 and weigh 170 pounds. I'm in very good shape as a matter of fact and have about a 7% body fat. It just worries me..I have just been getting over being sick with a terrible cold and congestion but I don't feel sick like I did a week ago.

SoCalSteve 05-02-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnhood (Post 1131714)
Its possible there is some atrial fibrillation going on. I would go see a cardio doc. A stress test will likely show up the issue. You may also be prescribed a heart monitor for a week or so. They are very small now and unobtrusive. Of course you may also be dehydrated - this will lead to a rise in HR, especially if you are trying to lose weight. In any event, its worth seeing a doctor.

A-Fib, SVT or any number of tachycardia electrical issues with your heart. Does it go back down after your done exercising? Or, does it stay high for quite some time and then drop drastically?

If those things are occurring, best to go see a cardiologist. Its easily cured with meds or an ablation. Also, if you can get an EKG when its high, that will be really telling what is up with your ticker.

Good luck!

Steve

FixedNotBroken 05-02-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalSteve (Post 1131733)
A-Fib, SVT or any number of tachycardia electrical issues with your heart. Does it go back down after your done exercising? Or, does it stay high for quite some time and then drop drastically?

If those things are occurring, best to go see a cardiologist. Its easily cured with meds or an ablation. Also, if you can get an EKG when its high, that will be really telling what is up with your ticker.

Good luck!

Steve

Takes some time to go down..even on the flats it stays at around 185 which is strange to me.

craptacular 05-02-2012 07:19 PM

Next time this happens, see if coughing or the valsalva maneuver (clearing your ears like you are diving in water) works. Also, what is your hr in the morning when you wake up? More than likely this is just a symptom of your previous illness letting you know that you haven't fully recovered.

AngryScientist 05-02-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craptacular (Post 1131744)
your previous illness letting you know that you haven't fully recovered.

I'm not a Dr., but this would definitely be my first guess. If you're still a little sick, certainly your body could be working a little harder than normal during recovery. get it checked out if you feel safer, but if it were me i would wait until you feel fully recovered from the illness and then have a look at the numbers.

nightfend 05-04-2012 03:17 PM

And you are sure you just don't have a bad heart rate monitor? I mean, at that high of a heartrate, do you feel your heart beating in your chest, are you sweating? Maybe verify the high heartrate by taking your pulse manually.

FixedNotBroken 05-04-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfend (Post 1132968)
And you are sure you just don't have a bad heart rate monitor? I mean, at that high of a heartrate, do you feel your heart beating in your chest, are you sweating? Maybe verify the high heartrate by taking your pulse manually.

I'm using a brand new Garmin 500 bundle..with the new HR strap. I do feel my heart beat in my chest and I was sweating. The thing that's odd is that my legs felt great..and I wasn't very sore the next day.

biker72 05-04-2012 03:50 PM

Sounds like atrial fibrillation. A cardiologist will probably put a monitor on you to see what's going on.

This condition is very treatable but can be dangerous in that it can cause blood clots in some people.

FixedNotBroken 05-04-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker72 (Post 1132992)
Sounds like atrial fibrillation. A cardiologist will probably put a monitor on you to see what's going on.

This condition is very treatable but can be dangerous in that it can cause blood clots in some people.

What causes clots? The medication or the problem itself?

stuckey 05-04-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixedNotBroken (Post 1132985)
I'm using a brand new Garmin 500 bundle..with the new HR strap. I do feel my heart beat in my chest and I was sweating. The thing that's odd is that my legs felt great..and I wasn't very sore the next day.

Is it one of the premium soft straps? If so that is your problem, that strap is junk.

slowgoing 05-04-2012 04:02 PM

how much higher are those HRs than normal for those rides? I'm no racer but after a bad cold, my HR was easily 10-20 beats higher than normal. Plus could you be a bit dehyrated for any reason, such as taking meds?

Did you try any other HR monitors and get high HRs on them too? If not, can you try another monitor? Just want to rule out your Garmin as the source of the problem.

John M 05-04-2012 04:02 PM

First thing is to verify that tachycardia (increased HR) is actually present. Second is to assess the pattern (at rest, only during exercise, etc...).

Answering both of these accurately probably requires consultation with a health care provider. If you are otherwise healthy, start with your primary care doctor. He/she can determine if you need a cardiologist.