The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Rene Herse Nivex Derailleur (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=290269)

maschine 12-12-2022 09:27 AM

New Rene Herse Nivex Derailleur

Thought this might be of interest to some folks here. Rene Herse Cycles just launched a new chainstay-mounted derailleur (up to 12-speed-compatible) that uses separate cables for shifting up and down, the updated Nivex. Priced at a cool $729. Anyone planning to build a bike around one of these?

https://www.renehersecycles.com/wp-c...0490_COVER.jpg

More details here: https://bikepacking.com/news/rene-he...ex-derailleur/

bicycletricycle 12-12-2022 09:29 AM

i would like to try one, I am interested in pull pull derailleurs, the lack of spring tension makes the shifting so light. I will consider one for my next build.

meyatt 12-12-2022 09:33 AM

$750 for something that looks like a medieval french cooking device

I appreciate anyone willing to take a step back and ask why things are done the way they are and trying something different, but seems to suggest mechanical groupsets will end up mostly all looking and functioning alike or auteur 'classic car' pieces.

bicycletricycle 12-12-2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meyatt (Post 3183838)
$750 for something that looks like a medieval french cooking device

I appreciate anyone willing to take a step back and ask why things are done the way they are and trying something different, but seems to suggest mechanical groupsets will end up mostly all looking and functioning alike or auteur 'classic car' pieces.

it certainly does look odd but in reality all derailleurs look odd, we have just gotten used to the look of some of them.

The price is just a reflection of the low volume production and high quality materials/manufacturing methods. Adjusted for inflation this might even be cheaper than a Paul or White Industries LMDS.

Toddtwenty2 12-12-2022 09:41 AM

I'd love to try one.

It's a tough sell to commission an entire frameset around a new and obscure rear derailleur, but I am curious and would love to feel what it is like to shift one.

Perhaps Jan will commission a test-fleet of his anniversary bicycle that we can try out during a Seattle visit.

R3awak3n 12-12-2022 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bicycletricycle (Post 3183841)
it certainly does look odd but in reality all derailleurs look odd, we have just gotten used to the look of some of them.

The price is just a reflection of the low volume production and high quality materials/manufacturing methods. Adjusted for inflation this might even be cheaper than a Paul or White Industries LMDS.

exactly. After all said and done they will make less money per derailleur than Shimano/Sram/Campy.

I have no interest in it but I actually think it looks pretty cool and probably works well.

meyatt 12-12-2022 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bicycletricycle (Post 3183841)

I get that, however insofar as I can tell from the post Jan made it's proprietary at the moment and can only be used with a few select Rene Herse frames. That makes it pretty different from Paul or White IMO.

hummus_aquinas 12-12-2022 09:58 AM

Given the status/collectability of the early paul or white derailleurs is this on anybody's radar to purchase for a similar purpose?

bicycletricycle 12-12-2022 10:10 AM

That is a big difference. It might be mitigated some by the market it is trying to serve. For the high end rando market (what is that 2000 people or so?) it isn't as big of a deal to have proprietary components (Sort of like frames built specifically for wireless SRAM or super clean Di2 integration in the more normal bicycle world). For the rando world having a frame built around specific components is relatively common. A nice rando set up would probably have customized racks, fenders, stem, wire routing, light mounts and brakes so adding a derailleur isn't as big of a deal as it might be for other markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meyatt (Post 3183850)
I get that, however insofar as I can tell from the post Jan made it's proprietary at the moment and can only be used with a few select Rene Herse frames. That makes it pretty different from Paul or White IMO.

bicycletricycle 12-12-2022 10:12 AM

I didn't mean they are competing on the market. Just that the price of low volume CNC derailleurs has stayed relatively constant. I think the Ingrid derailleur is about 800 dollars as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas (Post 3183855)
Given the status/collectability of the early paul or white derailleurs is this on anybody's radar to purchase for a similar purpose?

mlc 12-12-2022 10:14 AM

That price is pretty crazy, and yes it is proprietary, but none of that stops the lust! A guy can dream...:banana:

EB 12-12-2022 10:15 AM

Nah

David Kirk 12-12-2022 10:28 AM

Has anyone seen the shifter that drives this derailleur? I've not seen it yet.

dave

AngryScientist 12-12-2022 10:29 AM

If I had a lot of free time and lots of spare money, neither of which I do...

I would absolutely buy one of these, and then take apart an AXS RD and rig the servo motor to activate this.

Just because.

Xrslug 12-12-2022 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk (Post 3183870)
Has anyone seen the shifter that drives this derailleur? I've not seen it yet.

dave

This is what they’ve got for now — “indexed” for Shimano 11 speed.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/wp-c...ifter_0150.jpg