The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CSI in transit... driving me crazy- need therapy. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=112667)

carlucci1106 07-13-2012 02:16 AM

CSI in transit... driving me crazy- need therapy.

Probably the only kind riding this new steed can deliver. This will be my first Serotta. Worked at bike stores over a decade ago and picked up two employee purchase Bianchis.

Now I feel this strange resentment against my Bianchi as I ride. But I have ideas to make her feel fresh again. Listed it on Craigslist, but not getting hits. So I resolved to set it up fixie if it doesn't sell. I will need some technical support.

Anyone know if you can achieve decent chainline if you keep the campy inner 39T as your front chainring?

Also can you run the 3/32 chain with a 1/8 cog? Or can you run a 1/8 chain with the 3/32 chainring?

I would like to do this economically. This will be my commuter.

Any ideas?

kceb_cire 07-13-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlucci1106 (Post 1170858)
Probably the only kind riding this new steed can deliver. This will be my first Serotta. Worked at bike stores over a decade ago and picked up two employee purchase Bianchis.

Now I feel this strange resentment against my Bianchi as I ride. But I have ideas to make her feel fresh again. Listed it on Craigslist, but not getting hits. So I resolved to set it up fixie if it doesn't sell. I will need some technical support.

Anyone know if you can achieve decent chainline if you keep the campy inner 39T as your front chainring?

Yes. Though, you're going to have to run a pretty small cog in the rear to run a decently rideable ratio.
Quote:

Also can you run the 3/32 chain with a 1/8 cog? Or can you run a 1/8 chain with the 3/32 chainring?

No to the first, yes to the second.

monkeybanana86 07-13-2012 03:29 AM

if you're on a budget 1/8 inch chains can be bought for cheap. some examples are izumi, kmc and sram.

you can run that with your current 39t no problem but as previously mentioned you can't keep a 3/32 chain with a 1/8 cog in the back.

I'd run a 14 or 15 teeth cog maybe smaller if you're living in a real flat area here's a gear inch calculator:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_g.html#gearinch

carlucci1106 07-13-2012 03:59 AM

flat if I'm riding to work or errand

Thanks kceb cire, def. cleared up what I will need. I am looking for a wheelset that is under $175. I see that I have choices between Velocity, Mavic, and Vuelta. Do you have recommendations? Would prefer light ( I only weigh about 130), and looking for something to compliment celeste w/royal blue decals.
Also should mention that it is a 1998 steel, so more the classic look

Thanks monkeybanana. Yeah, I agree that the ratio could be too easy for everyday riding. Probably best off with the 14T.

oldpotatoe 07-13-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

I would like to do this economically. This will be my commuter.

Any ideas?

Yes.

No. Yes.

Horizontal dropouts? Easy, cog onto a properly spaced(same as you frame, 126? 130?) track type hub, single ring CR bolts, chain. Keep a front brake and bob's yer uncle.