The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT - Same Attorney General Baltimore Cops/Tom & Bishop (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=167580)

velomonkey 05-01-2015 10:51 AM

OT - Same Attorney General Baltimore Cops/Tom & Bishop

1 Attachment(s)
FYI - the 6 cops who just got charged with the death of Freddie Gray. That's the same Prosecutor, Mosby, who got sworn in and immediately charged the Bishop in the death of Tom.

This lady is not afraid of the power structure. Count me as a fan.

seanile 05-01-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velomonkey (Post 1749964)
Count me as a fan.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

br995 05-01-2015 10:57 AM

Yeah, this is incredible news.

I realize that we must wait for verdicts to determine whether justice has truly been done, but even charging these officers - and the other charge against Slager in SC - is significant in the message it sends and, hopefully, the changes that message will help to bring about.

Henrythewound 05-01-2015 11:38 AM

This is great, more power to her. When I read the headlines I was happily surprised and then I immediately thought how it's pretty messed up I was surprised by the news. It just seems so rare for cops to be charged with a serious crime following their abuse of force

azrider 05-01-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrythewound (Post 1749995)
It just seems so rare for cops to be charged with a serious crime following their abuse of force

that didn't take long :rolleyes:

velomonkey 05-01-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrider (Post 1750006)
that didn't take long :rolleyes:

A bit unfair - least of all when the State AG says you had no grounds to make an arrest - that IS an abuse of power. That's established (his past matters not). Everything else is a charge that will go to trial - the evidence doesn't look good, but, yea let it play out.

soulspinner 05-01-2015 12:21 PM

Surprised by the number of arrest warrants....

ultraman6970 05-01-2015 12:30 PM

I got surprised by this this morning aswell... the biggest problem is omerta, they havent released the names, wonder why??? :) This case looks just like in the movies, one cop talks he is better to kill himself, wonder who will be the 1st to tell the truth of the whole group.

Hope this case is resolved quick, it should present good precedents in the justice system.

yngpunk 05-01-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 1750038)
I got surprised by this this morning aswell... the biggest problem is omerta, they havent released the names, wonder why??? :) This case looks just like in the movies, one cop talks he is better to kill himself, wonder who will be the 1st to tell the truth of the whole group.

Hope this case is resolved quick, it should present good precedents in the justice system.

Not sure what news source you are using, but from the NY Times:

"Ms. Mosby did not allege that the van driver, Officer Caesar R. Goodson, Jr., intentionally gave Mr. Gray a “rough ride,” to slam him against the metal walls of the van. But Officer Goodson was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office.

Lt. Brian W. Rice was charged with manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment. Officer William G. Porter and Sgt. Alicia D. White were each charged with manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office. Officers Edward M. Nero and Garrett E. Miller were charged with assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment."

ultraman6970 05-01-2015 04:06 PM

I year read that... I read something cant remember where honestly, part of the video was in the web page, now went to yahoo and noticed the names... IMO they had to go by the book or that city was going to burn to the ground during the weekend.

OtayBW 05-01-2015 05:22 PM

Wow! I like her.

gemship 05-01-2015 08:44 PM

I watched her today on the local news. Like her?....meh, I dunno. I think she gave some pretty smart PR. Sacrificing a few bad seeds for the many was just plain smart/damage control at this point.

verticaldoug 05-02-2015 04:13 AM

This looks less like 6 bad apples and more like the barrell is bad.

Ray 05-02-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verticaldoug (Post 1750316)
This looks less like 6 bad apples and more like the barrell is bad.

I'm sure it goes well beyond those six, but when you look at the overall restraint that the cops have shown on Monday and, particularly since, and you have to give them credit for being PART of what turned a potential powder keg into one of the great examples of civic action we've seen in a long long time in such situations - maybe ever. As well as the community itself, which has been pretty incredible, including the street gangs who came together at this critical moment to help keep the peace.

-Ray

oldpotatoe 05-02-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulspinner (Post 1750029)
Surprised by the number of arrest warrants....

Gonna be interesting and it's a long way from being 'in the can'. Driver has been cleared of 'rough driving', yet also charged with manslaughter.

And then there is this.

http://www.youngcons.com/baltimore-p...to-gray-family