The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spin class maiden broken (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202169)

Elefantino 03-20-2017 06:15 AM

Spin class maiden broken

We are visiting our daughter in DC and she spins at a local gym, Vida Fitness. So I went along this morning. Had never spun on a real spin bike before; this one was a Matrix IC7 with "coach by color."

Forty-five minutes with her personal trainer, Kyle Suib, leading the class of about 25 people.

Whew. It was interesting, to say the least. The bike took some getting used to, adjusting the resistance knob and all, but by the end I was able to hold 300+ watts with the rest of the class on the final "sprint" session.

Not bad for an old man who two days earlier had the last birthday he's going to count.

I have to be honest, though. I don't see the attraction for serious cyclists. Sure, it was a great workout, but I would much rather go out and do a hard 45 minutes on the road.

Those of you who do both might be able to weigh in on how spinning benefits your road riding.

huck*this 03-20-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 2144987)

I have to be honest, though. I don't see the attraction for serious cyclists. Sure, it was a great workout, but I would much rather go out and do a hard 45 minutes on the road.

Agree. It's a good sweat but that's about it.

Those of you who do both might be able to weigh in on how spinning benefits your road riding.

Two totally different worlds. I would not classify spin in the same category as cycling. Easy to cheat let up on a spin bike, can't do so on a road/mtb bike.

ultraman6970 03-20-2017 08:04 AM

If you need to move the legs because you cant go out spin class is great. But from here to replace nice road or track training with spinning? well...

I dislocated my knee twice years ago, part of rehabilitation was this spinning computer bike and pretty much the guy was surprised that i was able to spin that think in level 5 and 6 resistance (out of 12 i think) with a really f'ed knee at the 1st try, even had to tell the guy to increase the resistance because felt like nothing. I had to do the same work out in a regular bicycle even with super light gearing it might have hurt badly. At the opposite side it makes me wonder how weak legs some people has because honestly I left my prime long time ago and Im pretty wimp now.

ftf 03-20-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

We are visiting our daughter in DC and she spins at a local gym, Vida Fitness. So I went along this morning. Had never spun on a real spin bike before; this one was a Matrix IC7 with "coach by color."

Forty-five minutes with her personal trainer, Kyle Suib, leading the class of about 25 people.

Whew. It was interesting, to say the least. The bike took some getting used to, adjusting the resistance knob and all, but by the end I was able to hold 300+ watts with the rest of the class on the final "sprint" session.

Not bad for an old man who two days earlier had the last birthday he's going to count.

Does vida still have that watt bike, probably better off on that than a spin class.

simplemind 03-20-2017 08:13 AM

Spin only when it's raining! :bike:

Jeff N. 03-20-2017 08:13 AM

The idea of spinning on a stationary bike, as well as mountain biking, has never grabbed me. My hat is off to those who do either but, for whatever reasons, I've never been intrigued by either.

Bentley 03-20-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck*this (Post 2145024)
Two totally different worlds. I would not classify spin in the same category as cycling. Easy to cheat let up on a spin bike, can't do so on a road/mtb bike.

Agree with this perspective. I do Spin Classes when I am on travel because I dont take a bike. Ive done all the big places, SoulCycle, RPM, CycleBar, a few others. Basically it works to help keep a strong aerobic system, if you work. Typically, most of the "cyclist" are loafing, very low resistance on the wheel and they "fake" the pain. That said, there are some very serious spinners who grind me into the dust.

The biggest difference is that you do things in a Spin Class you would never do on a bike. Jumps, who the H goes from seated to standing on a 2 or 4 count. Push-ups? Crunches? Dumbells???

For me its about mixing things up (keeping my training fresh) but when I go in, I go in to work not screw around and check out the scenery. I think that used appropriately its a good way to ride and do other stuff that keeps up the overall fitness, but I don't believe that it "improves" my cycling in any way.

My 2 cents

Ray

simplemind 03-20-2017 08:27 AM

Agreed, cycling is so linear that to stay overall healthy, its my thinking that you need cross-training some way. I mountain bike, which does wonders for upper body and to a degree is more 3 dimensional. Spin class does get you out of your comfort zone by dictating the rhythm.

benb 03-20-2017 08:59 AM

I did a few spin classes 10+ years ago in the winter. The bikes are about the same, some places have some rudimentary or even fancy electronics on the bikes but the structure of the classes and overall feel has changed a lot in a negative way IMO.

Back then there were often a bunch of cyclists in the class, the workout was somewhat sane in terms of something we'd want to be doing in the winter. The instructors were often cyclists too. It wasn't expensive, most of the ones I did were free with my gym membership.

Now it's expensive, they're doing weird things like turning out all the lights, burning candles, not running the A/C, playing tons of really obnoxious dance/disco music, doing weird moves that have nothing to do with cycling or maybe even seem like they'd mess up your pedal stroke, etc.. the instructors aren't cyclists and the classes are full of people who wouldn't get on a real bike. Just weird, not for me!

I go to the exact same workplace gym I was going to back then. Back then the spin bikes were accessible all the time to use in place of the horrible life cycles, etc.. the classes were free with your gym membership. Now they're locked up all the time except during classes and they want $20 to ride them for $45 minutes. The bikes are pretty much the same except now they have a head unit that lists speed (meaningless) and resistance level or something.

Elefantino 03-20-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ftf (Post 2145035)
Does vida still have that watt bike, probably better off on that than a spin class.

I think that's what we were on. We rode to watts.

bigbill 03-20-2017 09:32 AM

I used to do 6-8 month deployments in the Navy where I had access to spin bikes. I took MTB shoes with SPD cleats and would ride at least an hour a day. The ship had organized classes that I'd do a few times a week, but because of my schedule, my rides would sometimes be in the middle of the "night".

What it did for me was to maintain a level of fitness and a smooth pedal stroke. The first two weeks after I returned from deployment and riding my road bike felt awkward. The Q factor of the spin bike was much wider, on my road bike I felt like my feet were going under the bottom bracket and I had trouble riding in a straight line because of this awkward feeling. After I adjusted to my bike, I was riding strong and was able to stay with the A and B groups in San Diego.

lovethesport 03-20-2017 09:43 AM

I mountain bike and road ride as well, and find spin cycling terrific as a tremendous supplement during the winter/rainy days. Having watts on the computer during class is a plus.... maintaining 300 is pretty strong!!

notsew 03-20-2017 09:51 AM

I used to do spin at lunch a couple times a week. My gym offered classes for free and my work situation was such that a midday ride wasn't a possibility.

Its absolutely not cycling, and you get what you put into it, but it can keep your fitness up and I feel like it kept me strong on the road when I had limited riding time.

Veloo 03-20-2017 09:58 AM

I had a neighbour running a spin class. She's fit. Does marathons but does NOT ride.
As in - has a fear of being hit by cars so she won't touch a bike.

I've come across a number of spin class instructors that are not cyclists.

crankles 03-20-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff N. (Post 2145037)
The idea of spinning on a stationary bike, as well as mountain biking, has never grabbed me. My hat is off to those who do either but, for whatever reasons, I've never been intrigued by either.

LOL. That's because you live in SD! I remember when I first moved there, I went for a run past a gym and saw people on tread mills! I wanted to run in and slap them. The worst day in SD is better than most days where I grew up!

benb 03-20-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethesport (Post 2145081)
I mountain bike and road ride as well, and find spin cycling terrific as a tremendous supplement during the winter/rainy days. Having watts on the computer during class is a plus.... maintaining 300 is pretty strong!!

That's especially excellent if the ventilation is as poor as I've seen in spin rooms.

Bentley 03-20-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veloo (Post 2145089)
I had a neighbour running a spin class. She's fit. Does marathons but does NOT ride.
As in - has a fear of being hit by cars so she won't touch a bike.

I've come across a number of spin class instructors that are not cyclists.

It would be a big mistake to confuse a Spin Instructor with a cyclist. Not trying to throw shade on Spinning, but its an "indoor" sport, not an "outdoor" sport. As I said, good for cross training, but not gonna help your cycling other than to maintain overall fitness.

As far as the lights and the music, Spinning appeals to a certain demographic. If you are sitting in the changing area before the class its mostly 20/30 somethings and they are in two general conditions, in shape or trying to get in shape. A few of us older "lurkers" make them uncomfortable. The music, it is really used to set the "cadence", I have been in classes where if you could not spin to the beat you could not be on the "front row". I can honestly say there have been a few classes that were beyond my ability to keep up with the instructor, in general, good work out, lot of sweating so I got my money's worth.

Ray

benb 03-20-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley (Post 2145098)
As far as the lights and the music, Spinning appeals to a certain demographic. If you are sitting in the changing area before the class its mostly 20/30 somethings and they are in two general conditions, in shape or trying to get in shape. A few of us older "lurkers" make them uncomfortable. The music, it is really used to set the "cadence", I have been in classes where if you could not spin to the beat you could not be on the "front row". I can honestly say there have been a few classes that were beyond my ability to keep up with the instructor, in general, good work out, lot of sweating so I got my money's worth.

Ray

Except there is a whole of just letting the flywheel drag knees around at high cadence if they are riding in time to most of the music they play.. it's about the same as going down a big hill clipped into a fixed gear bike. It's a bounce fest.

Bentley 03-20-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benb (Post 2145117)
Except there is a whole of just letting the flywheel drag knees around at high cadence if they are riding in time to most of the music they play.. it's about the same as going down a big hill clipped into a fixed gear bike. It's a bounce fest.

Agree, lots of posers

cderalow 03-20-2017 11:19 AM

the one spin class I did last year, I stupidly listened to the instructors recommendation on how to setup the bike against my better judgement, and during all the hopping and bouncing and standing up, managed to tear my hamstring.

Won't be doing another, took 3 months to heal properly and i'm still not back to the fitness level I was at prior.

Bentley 03-20-2017 11:27 AM

Spin Class

I never listen to the instructors instruction on setting up my bike. Typically what I see are seats either too low or too high and they set up the handlebars too high. As a cyclist, I set up the bike based on how I set up my road bike, clearly I dont have a tape measure but I try my best to get into the same position. What that generally means is I am the "outlier" on the class relative to how my bike is set up.

Hope you heal well, and given your experience I understand you wont be doing a spin class

Best

Ray

bikinchris 03-20-2017 05:00 PM

One of the instructors at a local gym was an ex Euro racer and he was a cool guy. He didn't blare music and we rode the class to stories about training in Spain. We would climb some hills with biting flies in our stories and work our way through the peleton before sprinting for the finish, then cooling down.

The other spinning instructors? Meh. They couldn't keep from bouncing at high rpms. They were also boring.

We don't currently belong to any gym.

FlashUNC 03-20-2017 05:06 PM

Spin class? Really? I know we've been getting a lot of rain, but man...

Elefantino 03-20-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2145395)

It was a D.C.-only one-off. Don't think I will repeat it anytime soon. But I give props to the people who also were there at 6 a.m., holding 300+ watts for extended periods of time.

Mr. Pink 03-20-2017 09:34 PM

Can't stand them. There is no appeal to getting crammed into a room with twenty others, all sweating profusely, and having somebody's butt right in my face, as really awful techno pop music is playing REALLY LOUD and the instructor is shouting REALLY LOUDLY into an amplified device so he/she can be heard over the REALLY LOUD crummy music. What the hell.

El Chaba 03-21-2017 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink (Post 2145529)
Can't stand them. There is no appeal to getting crammed into a room with twenty others, all sweating profusely, and having somebody's butt right in my face, as really awful techno pop music is playing REALLY LOUD and the instructor is shouting REALLY LOUDLY into an amplified device so he/she can be heard over the REALLY LOUD crummy music. What the hell.

THIS.....and then you get instructions like "Take one foot out of the pedal and pedal with one leg"....or "Now, pedal backward"....

Bentley 03-21-2017 06:11 AM

Pedaling with one leg

Not trying to defend the class, but spinning with one leg is considered good training to smooth out your stroke. Not sure about pedaling backward, but it does engage some different muscles

I am not defending Spinning, but it's a legitimate form of excercising and for me folks get a benefit from it, just not good cycle training for the most part. It's ok if you don't like it, but we ought to respect it as a form of excercise.

😀😀

Tony T 03-21-2017 06:38 AM

I've posted this before, so many of you have already seen it.
(keep in mind that "Pig" is naive and usually believes everything, but not this :))
https://brettfish.files.wordpress.co...egym.gif?w=640

cinco 03-21-2017 07:17 AM

Spin class

Just another option when not motivated to ride/workout otherwise. One thing I've found is the wider q-factor of the spin bike really kills my knees if I do too many classes, like two, too close together.

I don't really have a problem with setting up a bike in the back of the class and just zoning out - doing my own thing, instead of following the instructor. But, can see how in some classes, social pressure might make that difficult to do for some.

Andy in Houston

providence 03-21-2017 10:54 AM

We bought a Peloton spin bike (you've seen the TV commercials I'm sure) for home a couple months back now. Came up on CL hardly used at a good price and we had money in the bike fund and figured why not.

The gal and I quite like it for a quick workout before or after work. Has a large screen and you can follow along with live or on demand spin classes from home. We've found it useful over these MN winter months to get a good sweat in and will continue to use it moving forward throughout the rest of the year.

Certainly won't take the place of cycling for us but lets us stretch our legs a bit and get our heart rate up on days we aren't riding.

Splash 03-21-2017 01:09 PM

Good thread,

Hypothetically, if I installed a pair of P1 powertap pedals on a spin bike, would it measure genuine watts or - cheating - watts due to the flywheel effect (that does not exist on road bikes riding outdoors)?

Splash

GParkes 03-21-2017 07:24 PM

Apologies in advance if I offend anyone.

Option 1: Ride in your own home, on your own bike, on your trainer, to your own music or video/movie. Maybe even with your SO.

Option 2: Drive somewhere to endure all the annoying things previously noted.

I can understand if traveling, you might want to hit a session (I'd rather walk/run on a treadmill though). However, why in God's name would any of us walk in to such a session when we have what we want/need/enjoy in our own home? Motivation from a crowd in a spin class? If we aren't motivated by the goal of staying fit, or getting stronger by riding in our preferred environment, why even bother owning a trainer? If you don't have the mind set to do a hard ride or intervals on the trainer, just spin for 30 minutes, loosen your legs and watch/listen to something light. If you want some social interaction, play basketball at the Y or join and old guys hockey league.

Went to one session with my wife four years ago, to appease her. Never again, NFW, couldn't pay me.

djm 03-21-2017 10:26 PM

I started attending low-key spin classes at my gym a couple of years ago to maintain off-season fitness here in the upper midwest. Ive found it makes a big difference in the spring. Its hard for me to stay motivated to train indoors at home but having friends at class keeps me going. I do my own thing, concentrating on intervals, and dont worry about suggested cadence, effort, etc.

b3pkay 02-02-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Option 1: Ride in your own home, on your own bike, on your trainer, to your own music or video/movie. Maybe even with your SO.

Option 2: Drive somewhere to endure all the annoying things previously noted.

I can understand if traveling, you might want to hit a session (I'd rather walk/run on a treadmill though). However, why in God's name would any of us walk in to such a session when we have what we want/need/enjoy in our own home? Motivation from a crowd in a spin class? If we aren't motivated by the goal of staying fit, or getting stronger by riding in our preferred environment, why even bother owning a trainer? If you don't have the mind set to do a hard ride or intervals on the trainer, just spin for 30 minutes, loosen your legs and watch/listen to something light. If you want some social interaction, play basketball at the Y or join and old guys hockey league.
I'm considering going to a spin class tomorrow... because it's been about 8 degrees for the last few days and I don't own a trainer. The quoted post about is making me realize that for the price of 6 spin classes, I could instead purchase a used trainer on craigslist...

dgauthier 02-02-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

(...) I have to be honest, though. I don't see the attraction for serious cyclists. Sure, it was a great workout, but I would much rather go out and do a hard 45 minutes on the road. (..)

*Serious* cyclist ride to spin class, and ride back, and forget to go inside. :)

avalonracing 02-02-2019 01:38 PM

I've literally had people say to me "Oh, you're an OUTdoor cyclist". Uh, no, I'm a cyclist. Along the same lines, I say Zwifting isn't "racing". If it is I'm going to put my motorcycle on rollers and call myself a motorcycle racer.

eddief 02-02-2019 02:14 PM

i just spun this morning for the first time in a year

and I gotta say for me there is a big difference between "keeping up" in a spin class and my typical 40 mile club ride with a 2K feet of climbing. When I club ride I usually ride fairly hard but mostly keep the gearing in a range that is comfortable so I can last 40 miles.

in today's spin class I was standing up when commanded to do so after cranking up the resistance and staying there until allowed to sit back down and back off on the resistance. in other words i was being forced to work way harder on purpose than i ever "force" myself when road cycling. it was the toughest 45 minutes of "cycling" i have done maybe ever.

i will go back and suffer some more and do believe road cycling will be more fun as a result.

today's class = 12 women, 1 me.

joosttx 02-02-2019 03:19 PM

I found spin class was too intense of a workout for endurance training.

Quote:

joosttx 02-02-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2145395)

Paris Roubiax is soon. the cobbles only get smooth at speeds < 21.99999 mph

ghcs 02-02-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Live in a climate where it's below freezing and snowy for long periods.
Also, living downtown in a big city, "getting out on the road for 45 minutes" is much more time consuming than that.

Also, my spin class is at lunch, so it gets me away from my desk.

At home, I always find other things that take priority over riding for an hour.