The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My turn: "The Big One" (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=154664)

firerescuefin 08-30-2014 10:33 AM

My turn: "The Big One"

Went down at 35+ this morning when my wheel got caught in a concrete seam joint. Sprinting for the intermediate points :rolleyes:

Worst road rash I've ever had....all over. Concrete streets are pretty unrelenting. Possible broken ribs....Right shoulder really dinged (but not broken, or stuff torn up). I feel really lucky.

Front wheel and both shifter levers destroyed.

Costly mistake...could have been much worse.

Todays "new" plans: Beer, Advil, Reading a book, College Football

pinoymamba 08-30-2014 10:41 AM

heal up. glad there was nothing too serious.

Ken Robb 08-30-2014 10:41 AM

Yep, you are lucky you could have been as busted up as me. It's unclear whether you were x-rayed to see if you have fractures that need to treated to ensure that they heal correctly. I don't think there is much that can be done for broken ribs but the shoulder is a complicated structure that can limit your lifestyle if it heals wrong.

biker72 08-30-2014 10:45 AM

You might add another Advil to that last sentence...:)

I hit a seam about a month ago at only 15 mph and jammed my left shoulder and hip. Minimal bike damage however.

firerescuefin 08-30-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Robb (Post 1613369)
Yep, you are lucky you could have been as busted up as me. It's unclear whether you were x-rayed to see if you have fractures that need to treated to ensure that they heal correctly. I don't think there is much that can be done for broken ribs but the shoulder is a complicated structure that can limit your lifestyle if it heals wrong.

Hey Ken...Certainly nothing compared to what you've gone through with the Motorcycle.

I work as a paramedic and gave myself a really good self check. Normal ROM and push pull strength in shoulder. AC joint is really sore. I completely agree with you about lifestyle. I won't hesitate to get it looked at if it doesn't start healing up.

Nothing you can do about the ribs. Been down that road before.

FlashUNC 08-30-2014 10:49 AM

Tegaderm is your friend.

Heal up.

jmoore 08-30-2014 10:58 AM

Dang! Glad you are semi-ok.

Beer is always a good answer to many problems

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

jr59 08-30-2014 11:07 AM

Drat! Sorry Geoff, I hope you heal well and quickly.

bcroslin 08-30-2014 11:09 AM

Good to hear you're going to be ok. Enjoy a few cold ones and hopefully you can also enjoy a Gator win tonight.

Scuzzer 08-30-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firerescuefin (Post 1613373)
Nothing you can do about the ribs. Been down that road before.

Yep, it took me a couple of months and a few bags of strategically placed frozen vegetables to get back to feeling comfortable again earlier this year. I'd rather break an arm than do it again. Hope you heal faster than I did.

MattTuck 08-30-2014 11:24 AM

Geoff,

Glad to hear it wasn't worse. Heal up, spend some time with the kids, and relax.

I imagine the riding season is the whole year where you are now, so don't feel the need to rush back onto the bike.

Dead Man 08-30-2014 11:25 AM

POIDH

Sounds nasty. I finally healed up from my pedal-strike slide out a couple weeks ago... tegaderm was critical. Made life so much easier. The parts I had tegadermed definitely healed faster and with more comfort than the parts I let scab over

Chris 08-30-2014 11:29 AM

Hope you feel better soon.

cnighbor1 08-30-2014 11:49 AM

try

Try vitamin's' and 'e' to speed healing of road rash.
Also you will need some PT for sore muscles. other muscles will take over load from damaged muscles resulting in a imbalance in your body. I have seen three sport persons to get my self back to were I was after 3 different spilss
If in the CA bay area I can recommend a great one
Innate

Bruce K 08-30-2014 11:54 AM

Geoff

SO sorry to hear this

Glad to hear nothing on you is broken (hopefully not the ribs)

Hope you heal fast

BK