The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Next Boom City? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210704)

seanile 09-13-2017 10:38 AM

Next Boom City?

I've been passively playing speculator on this subject for a while, and am wondering what others think. Especially with all of the hubbub the Amazon HQ2 is causing re: its location.
Watching SF, Portland, Austin, Seattle, Boulder/Denver grow and then hit a high cost-of-living milestone that is making them no longer appealing/reasonable, I'd like to know where people think is coming up next?

My speculative short-list of personally appealing cities would be:
Pittsburgh - If Uber doesn't implode, they're paving the way for others. Carnegie Mellon and U Pitt right next to downtown. Large confluence of major rivers, and great forests a short-distance away in all directions. Extremely inexpensive housing, but limited transit capabilities.
Providence - Boston's housing growth is limited and its transit is at capacity..which'll become even more apparent as GE's new HQ settles in. The suburbs are already wealthy and populated, so there's nowhere really to go except northeast. The best commuter train lines expand north to Lowell & Lawrence, west to Worcester, and south to Providence. Providence has Brown U, coastal property, and proximity to Boston (45 mins away), and it's still cheap.
Buffalo - Got a billion-dollar investment boost from Cuomo. Have been putting hard effort into courting new business, and seems to be succeeding. Niagra Falls has consistent tourism, upstate NY has tons of recreation. SUNY Buffalo. They're going to use the HQ2 bid to show that they can be competitive as a proof of concept for any other companies looking to relocate.
Philadelphia - Still a minor city by some standards. Lots of universities and top-teir private secondary and high schools. It's location is hard to beat. Has history, housing, activity. But it's going through a consistent population decline, worse than Chicago...
Tuscon - has been seeing a lot of activity as of late, but is still a sleeper on the national attention level. I don't know much beyond it being a haven for outdoor activity lovers.

Pretty unlikely, but would be interesting to consider:
Bend, OR
Eugene, OR
Spokane, WA
Boise, ID
Missoula, MT
Portland, ME

This list is what has my attention because I need a colder climate..there's certainly a lot of activity in the south..Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas, but none of that appeals to me.

jtakeda 09-13-2017 10:46 AM

I think it will continue to spread in the Bay Area for now.

Moving through Richmond to Vallejo eventually.

NHAero 09-13-2017 11:03 AM

Providence isn't going to get you colder than Boston. Pittsburgh similar to Boston, Philly warmer. Buffalo - now you're talkin' cold! And some houses can be had for a buck. Portland, ME is a great small city, and easier access to cold weather sports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanile (Post 2232949)
I've been passively playing speculator on this subject for a while, and am wondering what others think. Especially with all of the hubbub the Amazon HQ2 is causing re: its location.
Watching SF, Portland, Austin, Seattle, Boulder/Denver grow and then hit a high cost-of-living milestone that is making them no longer appealing/reasonable, I'd like to know where people think is coming up next?

My speculative short-list of personally appealing cities would be:
Pittsburgh - If Uber doesn't implode, they're paving the way for others. Carnegie Mellon and U Pitt right next to downtown. Large confluence of major rivers, and great forests a short-distance away in all directions. Extremely inexpensive housing, but limited transit capabilities.
Providence - Boston's housing growth is limited and its transit is at capacity..which'll become even more apparent as GE's new HQ settles in. The suburbs are already wealthy and populated, so there's nowhere really to go except northeast. The best commuter train lines expand north to Lowell & Lawrence, west to Worcester, and south to Providence. Providence has Brown U, coastal property, and proximity to Boston (45 mins away), and it's still cheap.
Buffalo - Got a billion-dollar investment boost from Cuomo. Have been putting hard effort into courting new business, and seems to be succeeding. Niagra Falls has consistent tourism, upstate NY has tons of recreation. SUNY Buffalo. They're going to use the HQ2 bid to show that they can be competitive as a proof of concept for any other companies looking to relocate.
Philadelphia - Still a minor city by some standards. Lots of universities and top-teir private secondary and high schools. It's location is hard to beat. Has history, housing, activity. But it's going through a consistent population decline, worse than Chicago...
Tuscon - has been seeing a lot of activity as of late, but is still a sleeper on the national attention level. I don't know much beyond it being a haven for outdoor activity lovers.

Pretty unlikely, but would be interesting to consider:
Bend, OR
Eugene, OR
Spokane, WA
Boise, ID
Missoula, MT
Portland, ME

This list is what has my attention because I need a colder climate..there's certainly a lot of activity in the south..Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas, but none of that appeals to me.

texbike 09-13-2017 11:12 AM

Reno. Fantastic access to great outdoor activities. Not too hot. Not too cold. Decent cost of living. Numerous companies moving that way.

Texbike

seanile 09-13-2017 11:12 AM

@NHAero Hah, im just talkin colder than the south. Boston is good for me, denver or seattle would be ideal.

Now reno. Thats another ive heard a bit about. Any insight on what it's like there?

Ken Robb 09-13-2017 11:14 AM

Indianapolis, Milwaukee,Reno--not cold but at the foot of the Sierras so deep snow around Tahoe is a short drive. You didn't say why you need cold.

Clancy 09-13-2017 11:14 AM

Reno, NV

I would never think any city in NV would be appealing for anything else other than gambling, boozing, and committing other sins. I'm a fan of going to L.V., but always feel soiled afterwards and would never consider living there.

However, Reno seems to be fostering a much better family environment, weather is much nicer, and I believe a few Tech companies are locating there (?).

Thoughts?

jtakeda 09-13-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clancy (Post 2232972)
Reno, NV

I would never think any city in NV would be appealing for anything else other than gambling, boozing, and committing other sins. I'm a fan of going to L.V., but always feel soiled afterwards and would never consider living there.

However, Reno seems to be fostering a much better family environment, weather is much nicer, and I believe a few Tech companies are locating there (?).

Thoughts?

Reno would definitely support my eastern expansion theory.

I know tech has already moved towards grass valley/Nevada city. Reno is a hop skip and jump away.

I'd bet on this

cmg 09-13-2017 11:22 AM

does the city have to have the ability to provide corporate welfare? This would help the multi-national corporations like Amazon in their expansion efforts. :)

azrider 09-13-2017 11:35 AM

Unfortunately, the Politics involved are going to be the biggest determining factor atmo. I doubt Jeff Bezos gives two isht's about his employee's quality of life in these areas, but rather what kind of tax benefits his company will recieve, and how stringent the Govt regulations are for that state.

For instance.

Google/Uber were facing 2+ years of legislative wrangling before they could get some of their self driving cars on the road and after hearing this, AZ Gov Doug Ducey publicly announced "California might not want you, but AZ does". Overnight their were truckloads of self-driving cars loaded to trucks and brought to AZ.

As for Amazon specifically, they already have a YUGE network of warehouses and data centers in the area, and a major SW Dev presence. I personally see them picking PHX as their second home. Only time will tell.

seanile 09-13-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Robb (Post 2232971)
Indianapolis, Milwaukee,Reno--not cold but at the foot of the Sierras so deep snow around Tahoe is a short drive. You didn't say why you need cold.

I sweat like an ice cube on a hot plate in weather over 75, and am big on being able to snowboard in the winter. I also just bought a Hudson's Bay wool blanket so i want that to be useful :P
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmg (Post 2232979)
does the city have to have the ability to provide corporate welfare? This would help the multi-national corporations like Amazon in their expansion efforts. :)

Wouldnt say im interested in supporting cities that posit with corporate welfare. But being able to look at a city and know there's multiple companies to make a good living at and save for the future in is important to me. Which is why denver and seattle appealed, plus their outdoor access. Cost of living though has become their encumberance. So, my sightline is on cities that have growth potential and industry to offer.

Seems to be a lot of fans of Reno here!

azrider 09-13-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanile (Post 2232989)
I sweat like an ice cube on a hot plate in weather over 75, and am big on being able to snowboard in the winter. I also just bought a Hudson's Bay wool blanket so i want that to be useful :P

Wouldnt say im interested in supporting cities that posit with corporate welfare. But being able to look at a city and know there's multiple companies to make a good living at and save for the future in is important to me. Which is why denver and seattle appealed, plus their outdoor access. Cost of living though has become their encumberance. So, my sightline is on cities that have growth potential and industry to offer.

Dude you should find a way to make Denver work. Was there few weeks back and was super impressed with what they've done to make downtown more appealing.

texbike 09-13-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanile (Post 2232989)

I like it! It has most of the things that would make a great place to live for me - easy access to fantastic biking, great access to world-class skiing, low humidity, a decent and growing economy, reasonable cost of living, reasonable taxation, etc. Plus, it's not that far of a drive to the Bay Area and an easy hop to other cities in the West. The only downside is that it's been lacking a bit from a cultural perspective compared to other cities. However, that seems to be improving as more tech companies come into the area and bring a more diverse population.

I would also nominate some of cities along the Wasatch Range such as SLC, Provo, Logan, Draper, Ogden, etc.

Texbike

texbike 09-13-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrider (Post 2232996)
Dude you should find a way to make Denver work. Was there few weeks back and was super impressed with what they've done to make downtown more appealing.

Denver rocks!!! However, I would probably plant myself in Golden if I was going to make a move to the area. Seems to be a perfect spot.

donevwil 09-13-2017 11:53 AM

I guess it's all relative, but I lived in Carson City and Reno 22+ years ago. Great location, good people, a lot of interesting industries. As a CA boy I simply couldn't deal with the climate extremes, 100+ in the summer with heavy snow and ice in the Winter. When I visit nowadays I am amazed at the extreme sprawl that has occurred (granted where hasn't it), there used to be individual towns with buffers between, not any more.

I also love Bend, but the ship has definitely sailed on that place.