The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   For the Hate of Eroica!!!!!! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=185188)

velomonkey 04-10-2016 11:46 AM

For the Hate of Eroica!!!!!!

I'm just gonna park this one right here - from the same guy who doesn't really like d2r2.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2016/04/why...not-at-eroica/

54ny77 04-10-2016 11:53 AM

i guess he's never heard of vintage car racing. the idea there is...wait for it....race the vintage cars.

haven't actively read rkp for years. maybe one or two clicks a year at most. with this link, i've used up half my 2 click quota for '16....

that site & writing used to be awesome. great stories & photos. then, dunno what happened, but it became not great.

unterhausen 04-10-2016 12:04 PM

collectors have a couple of rides a year, and it's an affront to cycling. Huh

ofcounsel 04-10-2016 12:14 PM

I think of Eroica is cycling's version of Comic-con, Renaissance Fair dress-up or civil war reinactment. To the average person, kind of weird/lame. But I think it's kind of cool....

Louis 04-10-2016 12:17 PM

Click bait?

Some stuff is dramatized simply to drive traffic. I assume the more views they get there the more $ they make.

hummus_aquinas 04-10-2016 12:17 PM

Haha, fully backing this, m'lady

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofcounsel (Post 1953897)
I think of Eroica is cycling's version of Comic-con, Renaissance Fair dress-up or civil war reinactment. To the average person, kind of weird/lame. But I think it's kind of cool....

thirdgenbird 04-10-2016 12:29 PM

I'm all for the event but find the rules a little odd. Either get rid of the seemingly useless 1987 statement, adjust it to a year that makes sense, or tweak the other requirements to match the year. Why can I purchase a brand new bianchi that qualifies but I can't use aero brake levers produced before 1987? 7300 had aero levers by 1981.

adamhell 04-10-2016 12:59 PM

there's enough bike rides out there for one vintage-only one to be just fine by me. not that i would ever go.

R3awak3n 04-10-2016 01:14 PM

this article is fine, its the guys opinions and to be fair he actually does have a few good points which he did not have on the D2R2 article (that was straight up garbage).

Eroica sounds cool, I would like to do it one day (do not have a bike that qualifies) but I would prefer to do the Italy one just because its the original. I think its a nice idea and they all look beautiful (cali, england, italy).

I think its a matter of time till they do one in the east coast.

ripvanrando 04-10-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Something about these rules feels divisive, and in our current political climate, I’d rather see us strive for inclusion, rather than rejection
That is where he lost me.

If a ride organizer wants to only include those who wear pink jerseys, so be by me. I think they used to call that freedom of association but then again the First let alone the Second Amendment is not PC.

I don't like the shoe requirements. None of those old shoes fit me in the day and they won't now. So, I doubt I'd go on an erotica ride.

Seramount 04-10-2016 01:38 PM

meh, the whiny guy should just start his own vintage event and set it up with the rules he likes...

FlashUNC 04-10-2016 01:48 PM

Eroica is Civil War re-enactment.

If you love it, you do you. But don't be shocked when people find it weird and point when you're getting out of the car in the parking lot.

pbarry 04-10-2016 01:53 PM

Won't read p's drivel this time around. Why does he even go on these rides, knowing the rules in advance, and then whining about them? Oh, so he has a topic! :eek:

pbarry 04-10-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 1953933)
Eroica is Civil War re-enactment.

If you love it, you do you. But don't be shocked when people find it weird and point when you're getting out of the car in the parking lot.

That's a wild metaphor, especially since the cutoff for bikes is the 1980's. Penny farthings and period dress = civil war reinactment.

unterhausen 04-10-2016 02:08 PM

it is reenactment, that's the fun of it. Not as bad as Civil War reenactment, mostly because there are no cannons that go off for hours at a time. Living in a place with multiple encampments per year can get a little tiring.

And in any event, there are a batch of people that are too cool for cycling that consider randonneuring to be reenactment. To those people, I say, "stick to cross, kthx"