The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steelman Closing Shop? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=104322)

Uncle Jam's Army 02-14-2012 10:38 PM

Steelman Closing Shop?

I just read on Brent's facebook page that he is closing up shop and refunding deposits. If true that is very sad. I enjoyed dealing with Brent and I hope he gets through whatever rough patch he is in.

Peter B 02-14-2012 10:55 PM

That would be unfortunate indeed. Brent builds a great bike, and has been quietly doing so for years. A pal of mine must have at least half a dozen customs by Brent, each one truly magnificent. A shame if he shuts it down.

garth 02-15-2012 12:29 AM

What a shame. Here is my favorite Steelman to date.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5202/5...50db7fc0_b.jpg

TimmyB 02-15-2012 02:26 AM

^^^ I know the owner of that bike!

If that's true, it's a shame. I sure love my Steelman Stagerace. I know a couple of other steelman owners and all have nothing but positive things to say about their rides.

Only gripe I've heard was that he can come off a little... rough on the edges sometimes. But I wouldn't know, I've never met the guy and he's never responded to my emails :bike: .

Hope him the best though :beer:

mistermo 02-15-2012 05:33 AM

I'm "friends" with Brent and also Steelman Cycles on facebook, but don't see any notice. I see some concern by customers that he's disappeared, but nothing from him.

I'm not a big facebooker, so it's possible I'm not looking in the right place too.

My Steelman Eurocross is the best all around bike I've ever ridden.

EDIT: I see it now. Not posted by him, but by customers of his on his page.

gearguywb 02-15-2012 05:51 AM

Sad news indeed.

ultraman6970 02-15-2012 07:30 AM

Wow, their website doesnt say anything.

The problem i been seeing for a while is that the market is slow and way too many builders in the country kind'a make the situation worse. So make a living outta building bikes is tough, unless you really want to do it because you like it and you don't care that much about money, but at some point money is an issue even if you are super altruist. Hope he is not closing the shop because if a health problem.

Many builders could make some money just repairing frames but doesn't look like an option for many of them at least here in the US. Where i'm from many of the income for the few builders came from frame repairs, lastly the asian invasion ended up killing the whole industry of master builders because was cheaper get an asian frame that was going to end up in the trash anyways than get built a good frame that could cost you 4 times more, specially if you were sponsor the races yourself. Met with one of the builders like 4 years ago and he had not touched his equipment in 10 years, carbon and aluminum took over.

As I said before, hope steelman is not closing the shop for health reasons, sad he is out tho.

dekindy 02-15-2012 08:30 AM

One customer said he got a letter in the mail and deposit refund. Another customer said that she had also supplied components for a build. Food for thought when dealing with a one man shop, just saying. Really not sure why builders get a deposit before the build is begun. At least he is a class act and refunding deposits as opposed to another well-known builder that customers are waiting years and years for their bike.

bobswire 02-15-2012 08:45 AM

I wonder if that's why we see more top builders turning to carbon such as Strong and Slawta?

victoryfactory 02-15-2012 08:53 AM

Funny how some builders have 5+ year waiting lists and some
struggle. Maybe the niche isn't as big as we think? Or becoming maxed out?

VF

J.Greene 02-15-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekindy
Really not sure why builders get a deposit before the build is begun.

Because customers can be flakes or have problems arise too. I'm having to sell privately a frame and fork that a client had to back away from at the last minute when his business imploded. I don't feel like it's right to sell a new frame for cheap when I'm delivering frames at full cost. This frame is a unique color making it even harder to place. There has been real costs to my efforts up until this point. Because I'm a newer builder, and keep my backlog small, I don't currently ask for a deposit, but I think a modest sum to show the buyer's intentions and to hold the spot in line is more than fair.

Joachim 02-15-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Greene
I think a modest sum to show the buyer's intentions and to hold the spot in line is more than fair.

I agree, a deposit should not be to "finance" the builder or be used for anything except maybe the tubes. Deposits are financially a liability and should be viewed as such.

David Kirk 02-15-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekindy
One customer said he got a letter in the mail and deposit refund. Another customer said that she had also supplied components for a build. Food for thought when dealing with a one man shop, just saying. Really not sure why builders get a deposit before the build is begun. At least he is a class act and refunding deposits as opposed to another well-known builder that customers are waiting years and years for their bike.

Thats'a good question.

The reason is simple - so both sides have some skin in the game. I ask for a $300 to hold the clients place in line - that is their skin. Mine is that I'm making cash flow and business plans based on the promise of that future business. Without predictable and reliable cashflow there is no way a builder can plan and do anything more than survive day to day.

For a short period many years ago I put people in the queue without taking an even small deposit - I just took them at their word. Unfortunately no matter how well intended they were and how much they really wanted a bike when I contacted them and told them is was time to go they bailed - one after another. Lesson learned. So now I ask for that $300 and it keeps to impulse purchases that will never be followed through on to a minimum and now I can plan ahead and run my business much more efficiently........and the customer is assured a spot in the queue. We both have something at risk.

dave

rwsaunders 02-15-2012 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=dekindy]Really not sure why builders get a deposit before the build is begun.

We provide proprietary research and analysis data for our clients and without a retainer, the information doesn't begin to leave our side of the intellectual table. If I were in the custom frame business, I would use the same model, as it miminimizes the risk of a buyer going South.

It speaks volumes of Steelman's integrity in returning the deposits.

Fixed 02-15-2012 09:59 AM

that is a gorgeous bike imho
cheers