The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Mitch Rapp vs Jack Reacher (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35247)

KeithS 11-02-2007 04:54 PM

OT: Mitch Rapp vs Jack Reacher

This one is way off topic, but heck it's Friday...

I just finished the newest Vince Flynn novel. Mitch Rapp is one tough SOB, I wish complex political issues could be as quickly and easily solved as they are for Mitch. Just makes me wonder though, for other fans of this genre, who do you think would win this fight? If you are a fan of Flynn and haven't read any of Lee Child's work you would really enjoy it, Jack Reacher is like Mitch Rapp a flawed man. Much more flawed, and a similarly crazed loner, he doesn't mean to be violent it just turns out that way.

keno 11-02-2007 06:35 PM

I love 'em both,

but I would go with Reacher on brains and brawn and little emotion. I like the fact that the ladies dig Reacher even though he changes his clothes about once a book.

I just finished Flynn's "Act of Treason" last week and thought it had a most satisfying ending, which is hard to pull off in just about any novel.

On a completely different note, I'm currently reading, along with a Mitch Rapp novel, a non-fiction book, "Strangers to Ourselves", by a Prof. at UVA, which discusses the "adaptive unconscious", and concludes that for the most part we don't have much of a clue as to understanding what causes us to do what we do. No shocker here.

keno

dave thompson 11-02-2007 06:43 PM

I've read 3 Vince Flynn novels and have enjoyed them for the author's ability to make great word pictures, build very good characters and to keep me entertained, very similar to what Tom Clancey does for me.

Len J 11-02-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave thompson
I've read 3 Vince Flynn novels and have enjoyed them for the author's ability to make great word pictures, build very good characters and to keep me entertained, very similar to what Tom Clancey does for me.

Reacher....without a doubt.

Len

KeithS 11-02-2007 07:23 PM

Ironically..

That's what Flynn said too. He is a local boy (St. Paul MN) and I heard him interviewed on a local talk station and the host asked him the question I posed. He answered - Reacher. The newest Flynn came out on Tuesday - Protect and Defend, yet another great story.

Len J 11-02-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithS
That's what Flynn said too. He is a local boy (St. Paul MN) and I heard him interviewed on a local talk station and the host asked him the question I posed. He answered - Reacher. The newest Flynn came out on Tuesday - Protect and Defend, yet another great story.

I like Flynn's books........but Reacher is just cool!

Loner, loyal, smart, tough......plus his wandering is a better backdrop for more diverse stories.

IMO

Len

BTW...I still read both.