The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Campagnolo Mechanic - San Diego, CA (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202207)

kookmyers 03-20-2017 03:25 PM

Campagnolo Mechanic - San Diego, CA

Any recommendations for a good shop with a great mechanic for Campagnolo stuff?

Lovetoclimb 03-20-2017 03:58 PM

Is Pista Palace still open? That used to be THE place for Campagnolo in SD.

wasfast 03-20-2017 03:59 PM

What specifically do you need done?

Cicli 03-20-2017 04:11 PM

Its just bike parts. Get him a #25 torx. If they are worth a crap, it will be fine.

Campagnolo is not voodoo. Its bike parts.

AngryScientist 03-20-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb (Post 2145334)

i was just thinking the same thing.

i think it was you who tipped me off to them when i went years ago and rented a sweet, sweet C50 for the week. that place was cool :beer:

parallelfish 03-20-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb (Post 2145334)

Closed, according to Yelp.

kookmyers 03-20-2017 04:25 PM

I think they are closed. At least according to Yelp and the fact that when you call their phone number it is disconnected. I tried Rose Canyon Cycles from an old forum as well. They appear to have been very close geographically.

kookmyers 03-20-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasfast (Post 2145338)
What specifically do you need done?

I really dont know. This is my first Campy machine and coming from Di2 it feels strange that it takes such an effort to shift such a high end group.

I have had the front shifter lock up until i played with it enough, i've dropped the chain on a big ring to small ring shift and i have noises that i dont think i should.

One shop told me my shifter needs to be rebuilt but dont know how accurate that is being that it is 11 speed. I have read that they aren't serviceable....or at least not as serviceable as the 10 speed ones.

My apologies for any inaccurate things i am stating....and thank you for the help.

DrSpoke 03-20-2017 04:34 PM

Here are a few places to start looking:

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Sho...tore?loc=92001

Of course, Campagnolo North America Inc is in Carlsbad and they may know of a shop or two.

AJosiahK 03-20-2017 04:44 PM

So a buddy of mine (we'll call him J) and a well known to the forum bike guy both moved out there recently to open up a new shop. I have no clue where they are in the process other than bike guru (well call him C) moved out last fall and my pal J left MA in Jan.

J is an amazing mechanic and glorious dude, plus he's a campy guy.

If I hear from them soon I'll reach out to you. As we've been circling the conversations about coffee in a bike shop setting .. which is an area of expertise I'm hoping to offer them.

Anyway. Good luck and Happy Spring

woodworker 03-20-2017 04:55 PM

I've taken my bikes to Adams Avenue bikes for a number of years. They have a mechanic there who does a lot of work on Campy bikes and ordered and installed parts on both mechanical and EPS systems. I think his nickname is Spot (nice nickname, and I wonder how he got it). In any event, I take my bike down there from North County because they do good work. The bike was always dialed in when I got it back. Nice shop too.

There used to be a guy at Hi-Tech bikes who was good, but they've turned over management and I'm not as familiar with their folks anymore.

R3awak3n 03-20-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookmyers (Post 2145360)
I really dont know. This is my first Campy machine and coming from Di2 it feels strange that it takes such an effort to shift such a high end group.

I have had the front shifter lock up until i played with it enough, i've dropped the chain on a big ring to small ring shift and i have noises that i dont think i should.

One shop told me my shifter needs to be rebuilt but dont know how accurate that is being that it is 11 speed. I have read that they aren't serviceable....or at least not as serviceable as the 10 speed ones.

My apologies for any inaccurate things i am stating....and thank you for the help.

so the rear derailleur shifts fine and you are only having problems with the front?

carpediemracing 03-20-2017 05:45 PM

My best friend (and industry insider and former manager of my shop) patronizes Velo Hanger, among other places. Not sure where they are relatively speaking.

El Chaba 03-20-2017 06:34 PM

California Bicycle in LaJolla......

Gummee 03-20-2017 06:51 PM

As a mechanic, I don't get the 'Campy mystique.' They're bike parts. Campy derailleurs adjust the same as any other.

Now, if you wanted your Ergopower levers rebuilt, THEN I'd say 'find a good Campy guy'

I talked to a Campy rep the other day because a customer at my old shop had problems with his Chorus shifting and thought I could replace the spring in the rear derailleur spring, but it turned out it was a 'cable rub inside the chainstay' thing instead of anything the derailleurs or shifters were doing.

M