The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A question of lugged frame aesthetics - sloping vs level top tube? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=164443)

eBAUMANN 03-04-2015 03:55 PM

A question of lugged frame aesthetics - sloping vs level top tube?

This stems from my own mixed feelings about sloping tt's...assuming a completely modern build (like the white bike below), which do you guys prefer?

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7350/1...322e51f5_z.jpg

http://cycleexifcom.c.presscdn.com/w...cadenzia-1.jpg

8aaron8 03-04-2015 03:58 PM

I really couldn't stand the look of sloped TT's about a year ago but they have really grown on me, so much so that I believe I will build myself one in the near future:) To me, they definitely look more the part when equipped with modern components.

toastedbread 03-04-2015 04:00 PM

I'm not totally against sloping TTs, but I'm much more fond of the level TT look.

Cicli 03-04-2015 04:02 PM

Level. More classic. Silver group. Alloy wheelset.

Sloped. More modern. Carbon group set. Deeper profile wheelset.

MattTuck 03-04-2015 04:04 PM

If you have the flexibility to do do it, go with a flat top tube. I went sloped just to get a little more seat tube exposed.

I'm fine with either, but I do think the level top tube looks better. But bikes aren't meant to be looked at, they're meant to be ridden.

m_sasso 03-04-2015 04:04 PM

If I was going to purchase a horse I would not settle for a pony!

Level TT!

tigoat 03-04-2015 04:04 PM

I would use a canted top tube only as required. If you are tall enough and don't need it then why bother with it. I have both and like them both.

eBAUMANN 03-04-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8aaron8 (Post 1719245)
I really couldn't stand the look of sloped TT's about a year ago but they have really grown on me, so much so that I believe I will build myself one in the near future:) To me, they definitely look more the part when equipped with modern components.

exactly why im asking haha

thinking of building myself a roadie for this summer (got a big trip planned) and im totally conflicted...because while i am solidly into level tt's, i think the slope gives the frame a more "modern" look...particularly for larger size frames.

eBAUMANN 03-04-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigoat (Post 1719252)
I would use a canted top tube only as required. If you are tall enough and don't need it then why bother with it. I have both and like them both.

i guess the idea behind any "compact" frame is that it's lighter and stiffer due to less material and a smaller front triangle. not sure if this was ever actually proven but it sure makes sense in theory.

8aaron8 03-04-2015 04:11 PM

The sloping TT design definitely makes frames more compact, which helps take care of too much spring in a larger frame. It's a tough call and is ultimately your decision of course.

MattTuck 03-04-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBAUMANN (Post 1719258)
i guess the idea behind any "compact" frame is that it's lighter and stiffer due to less material and a smaller front triangle. not sure if this was ever actually proven but it sure makes sense in theory.

Here's my uninformed view on that. It is 100% marketing.

Ok, maybe two frames of the exact same tubing, one being level and one being sloping, you'd get an incremental weight savings... I'm not sure you'd get anything significant in stiffness (atleast very little in pedaling efficiency, that has more to do with the chain stays)...

But your choice of tubing and geometry would have a lot more to do with stiffness than a sloping top tube.

8aaron8 03-04-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTuck (Post 1719263)
Here's my uninformed view on that. It is 100% marketing.

Ok, maybe two frames of the exact same tubing, one being level and one being sloping, you'd get an incremental weight savings... I'm not sure you'd get anything significant in stiffness (atleast very little in pedaling efficiency, that has more to do with the chain stays)...

But your choice of tubing and geometry would have a lot more to do with stiffness than a sloping top tube.

I would say that there must exist a small probably indecipherable amount of stiffness added based on the smaller triangles, but would agree that yes geometry and tubing choice plays a much larger role.

bikingshearer 03-04-2015 04:21 PM

I prefer the look of a level top tube. I am a big guy (6'3", 270lbs) and I ride old lugged steel almost exclusively.

Having said that, I did recently buy a Ritchey Break-Away for travelling, and the look of it has grown on me. So now I am have a preference for level top tubes instead of insisting on them.

parris 03-04-2015 04:22 PM

It depends on how much slope to the t.t. . My JKS has a slight slope and to my eye looks like it'll age well.

Ralph 03-04-2015 04:22 PM

I don't normally pay much attention how a bike looks....other than look to see if it has good parts. And if it looks well maintained.