The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Socks for cycling/running (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168758)

cmbicycles 05-24-2015 09:36 PM

Socks for cycling/running

I have been dwindling down my drawer of athletic socks that either no longer fit (shrunk), or have more holes than they have material. I'm looking for socks that must be good for both cycling and running, just a simple 1/4 length.

Problem I have with a lot of my socks is that while they start out fine, after a while many shrink too much and feel tight from heel to toe (sz 14 shoes). My size puts me just on the cusp of not fitting most "bulk" packaged socks at the stores around me. I've had DeFeet aerator socks that have held up well over time, some PI that are newer and doing ok, and many other misc. "bike branded" that have all shrunk.

So since there are lots of people here with feet, any recommendations for other socks I should check out?

Louis 05-24-2015 09:52 PM

I think your first decision has to be on material (i.e. wool vs plastic) then on thickness, and finally on "generic-looking" vs "nifty designs." IMO / IME (experience) all of those are personal choices - there's no single best answer.

(Given the time of year, I'm assuming we're talking warmish or hot weather socks.)

likebikes 05-24-2015 09:55 PM

www.darntough.com

If they EVER get a hole or wear out they'll send you a new pair for free.

jmoore 05-25-2015 08:12 AM

see if longscycle.com has anything in your size. I have bought lots of socks from them. They are so cheap it makes it easy to toss them .

jlwdm 05-25-2015 08:12 AM

Most cycling socks are not big enough for large feet. My feet are not as big as yours, size 12 shoe, but I have had good luck with Castelli Rosso Corsa. They come in a size 2XL.

Jeff

guido 05-25-2015 08:29 AM

Smartwool

Daveyk 05-25-2015 08:46 AM

Darntough and Balega

FlashUNC 05-25-2015 09:15 AM

Swiftwick

giordana93 05-25-2015 09:23 AM

Defeet. Good experience with longscycle here too.

frank_h 05-25-2015 09:26 AM

I've recently made the switch over from a "general" athletic sock to a dedicated cycling sock.

I chose DeFeet and have been very happy. Locally owned and produced (NC), outlet section on the site regularly has them for $5/pair, and a range of materials to suit your needs.

I like to go thin so that I can have a fixed shoe fit and then alter warmth by adding exterior coverage (oversocks, overshoes, etc). This gives me a consistent fit throughout the year and avoid hotspots, blisters, etc.

One tip for shrinking and helping longevity: Wash on cold with your other cycling gear and let them line dry!

Vientomas 05-25-2015 10:44 AM

Defeet.

Plus, I recently purchased this and have been quite satisfied: https://www.thorlo.com/socks/xcmu/066

EDS 05-25-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbicycles (Post 1761993)
I have been dwindling down my athletic sock drawer of late and pitching the old socks that either no longer fit (shrunk), or have more holes than they have material. I'm looking for socks that must be good for both cycling and running, just a simple 1/4 length.

Problem I have with a lot of my socks is that while they start out fine, after a while many shrink too much and feel tight from heel to toe (sz 14 shoes). My size puts me just on the cusp of not fitting most "bulk" packaged socks at the stores around me. I've had DeFeet aerator socks that have held up well over time, some PI that are newer and doing ok, and many other misc. "bike branded" that have all shrunk.

So since there are lots of people here with feet, any recommendations for other socks I should check out?

This likely comes down to personal preference, but I have very different tastes in running socks versus cycling socks. For cycling I do not want anything to thick but can otherwise wear just about anything, though mostly has been Hincapie because they come with my team kit. For running, I need something thicker and always go back to Thorlos (they worked in college and they worked best for me as part of my marathon training last year).

cmbicycles 05-25-2015 11:31 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out some of those sites/companies mentioned.
I'm primarily looking for warm weather socks, which has usually been coolmax or similar synthetic. I usually wear the same socks for running and cycling, nothing too thick for either. Anyone find that the thinner wool socks to do well for warm weather?

572cv 05-25-2015 11:49 AM

A partisan note in favor of Darntough. They really are a very good sock. Years of experience with them, always my choice for comfort and fit.

seanile 05-25-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashunc (Post 1762153)
swiftwick

+1