The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Merlin Extralight Info ? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101114)

bobhufford 01-07-2012 08:09 AM

I'm curious about the weight limit as well. This would be for a 60cm frame. Can someone confirm?

Thanks,

Bob

Jeff N. 01-07-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Robb
Do I remember correctly that Merlin recommended a 180 pound weight limit for the XL? If so I'd guess a rider 5'8 would have no problem. Mr. Nix: would you be testing that limit? :)

I'm 245 +/-. Maybe more from the holidays! My Extralight rides like a dream...stiff and compliant, with road feedback that's juuuust right, after many, many miles. I've felt no cowering or other undesireable aspects. The Litespeed Ghisallo, with it's ultra-thin walled tubes, is the model with the weight limit, IIRC. No such weight limits with the Merlin Extralight or even the Merlin Cyrene. Any frame with a weight limit that low (180 pounds) is usually one with extremely thin tube walls. The Ghisallo is exactly that.

bobswire 01-07-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobhufford
I'm curious about the weight limit as well. This would be for a 60cm frame. Can someone confirm?

Thanks,

Bob

Hey you wouldn't happen to be Bob Hufford from the boblist group?
If so good to see you,it's been awhile and years since I've followed them.
If not welcome anyway! :beer:

bobhufford 01-07-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobswire
Hey you wouldn't happen to be Bob Hufford from the boblist group?

Yep ... that's me. I've been lusting for a titanium framed bike since I bought my wife a 1999 Seven Axiom last year. I'm currently on the bubble with a ~2000 Merlin Extralight and a similar vintage Holland. I still love steel, lugs and old Schwinns though.

Thanks for the welcome!

Bob

daylate$short 01-21-2012 05:48 PM

Cat3Roadracer never came back with a pic of his headtube. Is this the one in question? Definately looks much better than the hourglass shape. I picked this up used so do not know much about it. I was told it was a 2002 XLC (extralight compact? - it has a sloping top tube). Looks similar to the Agilis except for the head tube.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...DSC_0194-1.jpg

Cat3roadracer 01-21-2012 09:26 PM

That is very similar to my head tube. I will try to get a shot for all to see.

Dave.

Dave Ferris 07-04-2013 01:10 AM

Thoughts on '97 Merlin Extralight

Hi. Wanted to get some opinions on this '97 Merlin EL frame I found on CL for $850. First off-I'm not hugely knowledgeable about bikes, geometry and the tech end. I'm more a long time runner guy, just turned 60 (yikes !) that bikes maybe twice a week to take some of the stress off my aging body.

I've been riding for over 20 years both road & mountain. I have an '03 55 Litespeed Classic with Ultegra and modest Shimano wheels.. I'm 5'8" and 158. This particular Merlin is a 54 but the seller said the rider (who was his friend and recently passed away) was 5" 8" as well and it was an excellent for fit him. The seller is 5' 6" and said it's just too big for him no matter what he does with the stem otherwise he'd keep it.

The existing build is:
Campagnolo Record Cranks (L172.5)
Campagnolo Record Brakes
Campagnolo Front & Rear Derailleur (10speed)
Reynolds Carbon Fork
EMS Pro Carbon Handlebars & Deda Ti/Carbon Stem
Carbon Seat Post & Light weight Flite Ti Seat

So again not being a "bike guy" (please go easy) , I'm trying to figure the cost of building this up. Nothing elaborate but I don't want to put inferior stuff on there either..basically keeping in character with what is already on there.
So trying to find out exactly what I need. My LBS could help with advice but they are closed over the holiday tomorrow and this guy has one other very interested party. It sounds like I need to kinda jump on this quick. So I need wheelset, shifters and ?

Can I get it happening for 2K or just a tad over, including the price of the frame and already existing parts ?

Is the '97 Merlin EL a good year ? Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the *good stuff* was pre-'98. I was going to save my dough and go custom maybe next year or the year after with a Holland Exogrid. If this rides like a dream though, it probably will be plenty good enough for what I'm doing.

So basically is it worth shelling out the dough for this right now or save my money towards the custom bike ?

Will the ride be that superior (more smooth) over my '03 Litespeed Classic ? To tell the truth, I feel kinda beat up on that bike lately after just 1:45/26 miles on it. I'm not having much fun on it as of late and seem to opt for the mountain biking first.

Thanks in advance.

Peter P. 07-04-2013 05:46 AM

I'd question whether the 54cm Merlin would actually fit your 5'8" self. I'd guess it's a size too small in the top tube.

I also don't think you'll find enough difference between your Litespeed and the Merlin to justify the purchase.

If you're getting beat up on your Litespeed, try fitting larger tires and lowering the tire pressure. One of the biggest mistakes cyclists make is over-inflating their tires.

palincss 07-04-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouDeeter (Post 1045690)
But, the ones I owned had the pressed bottom brackets, which many people scoff at. You are limited to square hole cranksets, but I've found no other cons. Some people might think that finding replacement bottom brackets is a problem, but I didn't find that to be the case.

I got my Ti Spectrum in 1991. My bottom bracket bearings were replaced once in 1996, when I changed the crank, and then again a year ago. The LBS had no problem whatever sourcing bearings. Thanks to the Grease Guard fittings, bearings last a very long time.

If people scoffed at them, I think it was purely as a result of FUD ("Fear, uncertainty and doubt").

Dave Ferris 07-04-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter P. (Post 1377811)
I'd question whether the 54cm Merlin would actually fit your 5'8" self. I'd guess it's a size too small in the top tube.

I also don't think you'll find enough difference between your Litespeed and the Merlin to justify the purchase.

If you're getting beat up on your Litespeed, try fitting larger tires and lowering the tire pressure. One of the biggest mistakes cyclists make is over-inflating their tires.

Thanks Peter P.

avalonracing 07-04-2013 09:04 AM

Actually, the 54cm could be the correct size for a 5'8" guy. Everyone is a bit different but that should like the first size I would recommend sight unseen.

As for the Merlin EL being smoother than the Litespeed Classic, it may be. I had a LS Classic and I found the ride to be a bit unforgiving for a Ti bike (compared to my Merlin or Seven which are both built and set up to be racing bikes).

But I think $2K might be a little steep for that bike in today's market.

Dave Ferris 07-04-2013 11:16 AM

Thanks as well avalonracing. I think I'm going to pass on it and just make do with the Litespeed for the time being. Also will experiment with tire pressure. I'm running 120 psi..maybe knock it down to 100-110 ?

austex 07-04-2013 03:22 PM

120 sounds WAY high. I weigh 160, ride 25mm tires at 75-80 front, 85-90 rear, but when I rode 23's, I rode 90 front, 100 rear with no pinches, and our central Texas roads aren't that smooth...

See if you can fit 25's, 28's even better - my frame won't fit 28's.

pbarry 07-04-2013 04:45 PM

Yes, less pressure will help the ride measurably. 100 in the rear and 95 up front will really help things. 240+ tpi tires too, if you're not running higher end treads already.