The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1999 Rapid Tour geometry? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=73356)

bec143 04-30-2010 05:03 PM

1999 Rapid Tour geometry?

Greetings from a Serotta newbie!

Does anyone have any idea of the basic geometry of a Colorado Concept Rapid Tour model from 1999 or so in 52 cm?

I know these bikes are really individuized for fit, but are things like the hta and sta pretty standard? I've done some searching without much luck.

Thanks!

Bruce

David Kirk 04-30-2010 05:37 PM

I have a 2000 catalog and I think the spec's were the same as 1999.

ST - 52 c-c
TT - 53
SA - 73
HA - 71.5
Cstay - 42.5
Rake - 5.5
BB drop - 8

I hope that helps.

dave

bec143 04-30-2010 06:01 PM

Dave-that's awesome! Thanks.

What do folks think of these bikes in general? I take it they are in the lower part of the Serotta totem pole, but still pretty fine.

dave thompson 04-30-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bec143
Dave-that's awesome! Thanks.

What do folks think of these bikes in general? I take it they are in the lower part of the Serotta totem pole, but still pretty fine.

Lower part of the Serotta totem pole? Not at all!

From the Serotta catalog:
"If the Rapid Tour would be described in automotive comparisons, it would probably be a SAAB 9-5 V6 Turbo Wagon. It responds like a race bike, is practical enough for the most reasonable Northwesterner and handles with ease. It's got room enough for full, supple tires (28~35MM depending on the brand), fender clearance (with eyelets front and rear) and plenty of room for a triple crank. Rear rack mounts are also standard, so when you want, load it up. One ride in the hills and you'd swear you were on a race bike because it climbs and corners like all Serottas-incredibly. The slightly longer chain-stays aide in smoother shifts with triples while a stabilizing, slightly slackened front-end and lower bottom bracket adds to your sightseeing pleasure. The extended head tube provides the opportunity tor a higher handlebar position for eliminating back fatigue experienced by many cyclists."

The Rapid Tour used the same tubing as the Atlanta, considered one of the better Steel Serottas. I would probably describe the Rapid Tour as a fast credit-card touring bike, capable of forging ahead on most all passable roads.

You've got a keeper!

Frankwurst 04-30-2010 07:38 PM

What Dave said. I've wanted to get my hands on one of them in my size for along time. They don't surface very often and ther is a reason why. :beer:

Ken Robb 04-30-2010 07:57 PM

I borrowed one for a few hours and wanted to buy it. I did buy a Rivendell Rambouillet which is quite similar in ride/handling.

If a 60-61cm Rapid Tour came up for sale I might have a hard timekeeping my wallet in my pocket. :beer:

Ahneida Ride 05-01-2010 10:31 AM

I have a 2002 Legend Ti Rapid Tour ...

RT is definitely NOT lower end.

It is a comfortable ride with high end performance ...

Consider your self fortunate if you can locate a RT in your size. :beer:

bec143 05-01-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride
I have a 2002 Legend Ti Rapid Tour ...

RT is definitely NOT lower end.

It is a comfortable ride with high end performance ...

Consider your self fortunate if you can locate a RT in your size. :beer:

the fit seems pretty close. I do want to look into options to replace the 0 degree quill stem with something with a little rise if possible

Currently ride a Specialized Roubaix Expert. This will be my second "fun" bike

palincss 05-01-2010 03:33 PM

Rapid Tour was Serotta's version of a bike that would fit reasonably sized tires with fenders, and could carry light luggage for credit card touring. In a word, "sensible" and not just a fair weather toy for let's play racer. There's nothing "low end" about that.

joelh 05-01-2010 08:02 PM

I have a CRT from 97 and it is a superb ride. I have the handle bars set up just a bit higher and it is a super comfortable bike for the long haul. Not the quickest handler, but then it wasn't designed to be

Ken Robb 05-02-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelh
I have a CRT from 97 and it is a superb ride. I have the handle bars set up just a bit higher and it is a super comfortable bike for the long haul. Not the quickest handler, but then it wasn't designed to be

But is it "quick" enough? It may be my lifetime riding motorcycles that skews my sense of handling but I have never ridden a bicycle that I couldn't turn as fast as I needed. I have ridden a few that I thought were needlessly "twitchy".
I can always supply plenty of force to turn a bicycle but when I've been tired or conditions weren't ideal I sometimes lacked the riding skills to prevent line-wandering on twitchy bikes.

capybaras 05-02-2010 08:39 AM

I have one and it is kind of heavy - but I guess that is the point, to be able to carry the rider plus gear. Very practical with fenders, a rack, a triple. The previous owner of my bike did a lot of touring on it and she said it was great. It is a nice commuter now but for weekend rides with friends I prefer a lighter bike.

bec143 05-02-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capybaras
I have one and it is kind of heavy - but I guess that is the point, to be able to carry the rider plus gear. Very practical with fenders, a rack, a triple. The previous owner of my bike did a lot of touring on it and she said it was great. It is a nice commuter now but for weekend rides with friends I prefer a lighter bike.

I plan to use it for commuting and light touring and use my Roubaix for the weekends. I didn't weigh the bike but I'm guessing around 22- it certainly seemed lighter than a Bianchi Volpe we have at home, also a touring set up of sorts.

victoryfactory 05-02-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk
I have a 2000 catalog and I think the spec's were the same as 1999.

ST - 52 c-c
TT - 53
SA - 73
HA - 71.5
Cstay - 42.5
Rake - 5.5
BB drop - 8

I hope that helps.

dave

Dave is spot on.
I have the '99 catalog
Also listed in the 52cm RT Geo Chart:
Wheelbase: 99.3
Standover: 77.0

bec143 05-02-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoryfactory
Dave is spot on.
I have the '99 catalog
Also listed in the 52cm RT Geo Chart:
Wheelbase: 99.3
Standover: 77.0

Thanks- anyone know what the standard stem length was, or is there even such a thing as a standard stem size with a Serotta? This looks like a really long Cinelli A1 or something along those lines. I'll know more in a few hours!

victoryfactory 05-02-2010 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know about stem length, but here is the photo from the 99 catalog

VF

bec143 05-02-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoryfactory
Don't know about stem length, but here is the photo from the 99 catalog

VF

Cool! The one I'm getting is green- must be a 2000 than!

dave thompson 05-02-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Cool! The one I'm getting is green- must be a 2000 than!

Again according to the Serotta catalog, the Rapid Tour came in 14 stock colors, which included Mica Green and British Racing Green.

joelh 05-02-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Robb
But is it "quick" enough? It may be my lifetime riding motorcycles that skews my sense of handling but I have never ridden a bicycle that I couldn't turn as fast as I needed. I have ridden a few that I thought were needlessly "twitchy".
I can always supply plenty of force to turn a bicycle but when I've been tired or conditions weren't ideal I sometimes lacked the riding skills to prevent line-wandering on twitchy bikes.

By quick, I mean the ability to hold a tight curve at speed. The CRT is more than quick enough to avoid any potential problem that I have encountered on the road.

My other ride is a Waterford with a steeper HTA and it is more designed to take a bit more of a racing line through fast curves.

palincss 05-02-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

By quick, I mean the ability to hold a tight curve at speed.

Are you talking here about tire adhesion?

joelh 05-02-2010 04:45 PM

No. Perhaps I am not using the correct terminology. With the Waterford, I can take an aggressive line through a curve at speed with the confidence that the bike will hold the line without much input from me. With the CRT, I find that the bike wants to step out just a bit from that same tight line.

Much the same as my wife's min cooper versus my corolla on a winding road.

palincss 05-02-2010 06:18 PM

In other words, you like a high trail bike that locks in on a line through a corner? Thing is, what happens if you need to change the line -- anything from a pothole to a diminishing radius curve. A bike that locks in on the line can be a real bear when you need to tighten the line. Or, is it possible that by "step out from the line" you mean that the bike wanders? I wonder, what happens if you use a bit wider tire?

bec143 05-02-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Well I just picked it up- I'm psyched. And I was wrong, it is the bliw shown above, not green.

Joel- can you tell me how you modified your stem/rise?

Will post a "before" pic when I get a chance.

Bruce

joelh 05-02-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Well I just picked it up- I'm psyched. And I was wrong, it is the bliw shown above, not green.

Joel- can you tell me how you modified your stem/rise?

Will post a "before" pic when I get a chance.

Bruce

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pic. Mine had a threaded headset, so I put a nitto technomic stem on it. I am running the saddle and the handlebars about level. Feels really nice on long rides.

Ken Robb 05-02-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

By quick, I mean the ability to hold a tight curve at speed. The CRT is more than quick enough to avoid any potential problem that I have encountered on the road.

My other ride is a Waterford with a steeper HTA and it is more designed to take a bit more of a racing line through fast curves.

see that's the fun of semantics: To me a bike that holds a line in high speed corners is stable and a quick-handling bike is almost too easy to turn. :)

LewLasher 03-29-2012 12:24 AM

Had 2001 Rapid Tour, now 2012 custom

(Not sure whether this is the best topic for this, but there hasn't been a lot of other discussion recently about the old Rapid Tour models: )

In 2001 I got a Rapid Tour in Classique titanium. Last summer, it was stolen. I recently got my replacement bike, also in Classique titanium, with (pretty close to) Rapid Tour sizing. Because Serotta no longer makes these as stock frames, I had to do it as a custom order. I'm not sure whether I would have personally wanted to spend the extra money for a custom frame, but it was covered by my insurance.

One improvement I noticed in the new frame (compared to the 2001 Rapid Tour) is that the eyelets for the fenders and rear rack are now integral to the frame (and fork), rather than being brazed on.

Another improvement, which is probably attributable to the specs drawn up by the fitting person at my local bike shop, is that the front wheel is a little bit further forward, so that it is not possible for my shoe to kick the front fender. This had been an occasional nuisance with the 2001 Rapid Tour frame.

It appears that Serotta no longer makes the Classique model of titanium frames, but only the more expensive Legend model. So I am happy that I was able to get my replacement when I did.

93legendti 12-08-2015 08:15 PM

Anyone know the fork span of the Rapid Tour's fork?

Mzilliox 12-09-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93legendti (Post 1874578)
Anyone know the fork span of the Rapid Tour's fork?

Ill go measure, I have a Rapid Tour frame in 56cm just hanging around waiting to be sold or built... its just a touch big for me.

Back and its real close to 370 mm from axle to fork crown (parallel to HT), hard to get a good measure.

93legendti 12-09-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzilliox (Post 1874864)
Ill go measure, I have a Rapid Tour frame in 56cm just hanging around waiting to be sold or built... its just a touch big for me.

Back and its real close to 370 mm from axle to fork crown (parallel to HT), hard to get a good measure.

Thank you. Yours is too big for me...

Mzilliox 12-09-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93legendti (Post 1874867)
Thank you. Yours is too big for me...

yup, wish i had it in 54 or 55cm, but I can ride the 56, just don't prefer a larger frame.

David Kirk 12-09-2015 11:00 AM

It was a long time ago but I recall the span being 372. I could be wrong and actual measurements would be best.

dave

Rogue Cycles 12-09-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk (Post 1874892)
It was a long time ago but I recall the span being 372. I could be wrong and actual measurements would be best.

dave

thats gotta be real close Dave, good memory

merckx 12-09-2015 11:26 AM

Does anyone have a source to find the complete geometry chart for this Serotta? I would enjoy seeing what was available at the time, and compare it to current sportif machines.

Keith A 12-09-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merckx (Post 1874908)
Does anyone have a source to find the complete geometry chart for this Serotta? I would enjoy seeing what was available at the time, and compare it to current sportif machines.

A scan of the full 1999 catalog is located here...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82628

Hilltopperny 12-09-2015 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked one of these up for my fiance. It's a great bike. I believe it's pacific blue and a 50cm model but unsure of the actual model year.

93legendti 12-09-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk (Post 1874892)

dave

Dave, thank you for your help! You're always filling in gaps from the the Serotta days of yore. I really appreciate it.

roguedog 12-09-2015 09:57 PM

Have Navy blue 52 kicking around here gathering dust if anyone is interested 53TT.

Wish I could ride it but too big for me.

Hilltopperny 12-14-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roguedog (Post 1875319)
Have Navy blue 52 kicking around here gathering dust if anyone is interested 53TT.

Wish I could ride it but too big for me.

I have a really nice tg that I bought for my fiance but ended up with a rapid tour that was better suited for her. Would you be interested in a trade for the rapid tour. The tg is a 50cm seat tube c-to-c

roguedog 12-14-2015 11:29 PM

Oooh. Tempting. Would be really tempting if it were Ti or the rapid tour but it's another steel bike and I'm limited on space. Sadly and pragmatically, I think I have to pass on the trade. I'm trying to make space so I have an excuse for something else. :/

Thanks though!

Hilltopperny 12-15-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roguedog (Post 1878093)
Oooh. Tempting. Would be really tempting if it were Ti or the rapid tour but it's another steel bike and I'm limited on space. Sadly and pragmatically, I think I have to pass on the trade. I'm trying to make space so I have an excuse for something else. :/

Thanks though!

I totally understand. I figured I'd throw it out there as I picked one up for my fiance and now would like to find one for myself. I have to clear a few out of my collection as well.