The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   C40 paint touch up in NYC (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=201600)

galgal 03-08-2017 07:37 PM

C40 paint touch up in NYC

Have a C40 that could use some paint touch up, before I do the build. Have searched the forum for prior posts on paint refinishing and found a lot of useful information. Most of the recommended pro painters mentioned are not located in NYC though. Someone like Allan Wanta would be great, but I really want to start riding the bike asap and imagine there would be a long turn around time with someone like that. Any recommendations for someone comparable in NYC?
Or of car/motorbike shops in NYC one might have used for similar purposes?
The bike doesn't really need a complete new paint job, just has its share of paint chips, on the drive side chain stay and one on top tube.
I might just try a DIY job, though never tried on a carbon frame before, so any advice would be appreciated.

ultraman6970 03-08-2017 07:58 PM

The 1st question you will get is... how much or a touch up do you want??? All depends of what it is, some stuff sure you can do it yourself but sure if you want the whole fork refinish that is not a retouch at all...

kmla320 03-08-2017 08:03 PM

Vicious Cycles in New Platz

fuzzalow 03-08-2017 08:30 PM

Dontworryboudit. Ride it, make sure you can get outta it what you want and expect outta it first. Only then will you know that it is worth putting any money into it at all.

If positive on the assessment, then make plans to have it refinished during the fall/winter 17-18 off season (you're northern hemisphere, right?)

If negative on the assessment, then it becomes just another bike, passing through.

AngryScientist 03-08-2017 08:49 PM

i agree with fuzz!

additionally, its carbon fiber, at leas you know the spots with the missing paint arent going to rust!

galgal 03-09-2017 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzalow (Post 2139109)
Dontworryboudit. Ride it, make sure you can get outta it what you want and expect outta it first. Only then will you know that it is worth putting any money into it at all.

If positive on the assessment, then make plans to have it refinished during the fall/winter 17-18 off season (you're northern hemisphere, right?)

If negative on the assessment, then it becomes just another bike, passing through.

That is good advice. Will follow. Thanks.

Hilltopperny 03-09-2017 06:32 AM

After you ride it and still want to follow through with the paint call Carl at vicious cycles/metal guru. He is in New Paltz and does good work from what I've seen.

galgal 03-09-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilltopperny (Post 2139239)
After you ride it and still want to follow through with the paint call Carl at vicious cycles/metal guru. He is in New Paltz and does good work from what I've seen.

Will keep that in mind, thanks. During the summer, I go riding in the Rhinebeck/Woodstock area. Would be a 60 mi r-t to New Paltz

R3awak3n 03-09-2017 09:36 AM

I have seen people go through the work of repainting and restoring their frames, dumping tons of money into them only to after ridding them not being the right size/geometry.

I say ride the bike first, get a few more nicks in it, then in a few years, send it to the painter.

rallizes 03-20-2017 10:49 AM

can we see a pic of the frame?

i'm a big C40 fan

galgal 03-20-2017 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rallizes (Post 2145123)
can we see a pic of the frame?

i'm a big C40 fan

Here you go, just put it together, probably need to tweak seatpost and handlebars. Pardon the badly lit indoor pic, roads are still slushy in NYC.

rallizes 03-20-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galgal (Post 2145135)
Here you go, just put it together, probably need to tweak seatpost and handlebars. Pardon the badly lit indoor pic, roads are still slushy in NYC.

very nice! what size is that?

hope to see it on the NYC streets (or one of the parks) soon!

zzy 03-20-2017 11:16 AM

NYCer here - for small touch ups you're limited to auto repair shops. Anyone else will either want to do a full respray or will charge too much. Blending /matching colors is very difficult to do well. I had to repaint a rewelded seattube and got very high quotes from most local shops, almost the same as a 1 color repaint. Auto places were the only reasonable ones. Maybe hit up Raphael at Chelsea Bikes but I was never able to get a straight answer from him.

galgal 03-20-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallizes (Post 2145139)
very nice! what size is that?

hope to see it on the NYC streets (or one of the parks) soon!

Thanks! ST is 51, TT 52.
Waiting impatiently for slightly drier streets

galgal 03-20-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzy (Post 2145141)
NYCer here - for small touch ups you're limited to auto repair shops. Anyone else will either want to do a full respray or will charge too much. Blending /matching colors is very difficult to do well. I had to repaint a rewelded seattube and got very high quotes from most local shops, almost the same as a 1 color repaint. Auto places were the only reasonable ones. Maybe hit up Raphael at Chelsea Bikes but I was never able to get a straight answer from him.

Thanks for advice. Just a few paint chips on the bike so did a little DIY touch up. That will do for now.