The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: For the Twin Cities Folks and the Older Punks (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210370)

ptourkin 09-05-2017 08:54 AM

OT: For the Twin Cities Folks and the Older Punks

The long awaited Husker stuff is showing up. I've been listening loudly all morning:

"No one who loves punk should live without the Hüsker Dü catalog. With the exception of Bad Brains, no hardcore band of the early '80s played faster or with more bite, and not even Bad Brains wrote better tunes — and hardcore was only the beginning of Hüsker Dü's range. From 1982 to 1987, the band issued seven superb albums (counting 1983's Metal Circus 12-inch EP, their first for SST) that remained louder than hell while exploring everything from folk to psychedelia to pure pop — albeit as heard through a lint filter much of the time."

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/547854...avage-young-du

clyde the point 09-05-2017 08:55 AM

Thx
Saw them at Emory University in ATL in the mid 80's.

93KgBike 09-05-2017 09:05 AM

The only hardcore I still throw on is Bad Brains and GBH. But I play Zen Arcade every once in a while. Maybe you're right, time to visit those boxes in the attic again...

jtakeda 09-05-2017 09:15 AM

This is pretty cool. Numero does a very good job with their reissues so this should be interesting.

Considering I already have all this stuff I probably won't be shelling out $40+ for it but if any of you Midwest hardcore heads wanna sell your old wax to a collector shoot me a line!

Geeheeb 09-05-2017 09:19 AM

greg ginn. worst greg.

daker13 09-05-2017 11:52 AM

I was never a big fan of that early stuff, but am intrigued about talk of new tapes, new mixes, etc.. New Day Rising holds a special place in my consciousness. Will check it out. Saw them at UMass in 80 something, Warehouses tour.

daker13 09-05-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptourkin (Post 2229551)
"No one who loves punk should live without the Hüsker Dü catalog. With the exception of Bad Brains, no hardcore band of the early '80s played faster or with more bite, and not even Bad Brains wrote better tunes — and hardcore was only the beginning of Hüsker Dü's range. From 1982 to 1987, the band issued seven superb albums (counting 1983's Metal Circus 12-inch EP, their first for SST) that remained louder than hell while exploring everything from folk to psychedelia to pure pop — albeit as heard through a lint filter much of the time."

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/547854...avage-young-du

Just my opinion, but anyone who thinks Huskers were a better hardcore band than Minor Threat is deranged. I think their strength was that both Mould and Hart were great songwriters, but I don't think their hardcore stuff was anything special. Maybe the box set will open my eyes...

ptourkin 09-05-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daker13 (Post 2229655)
Just my opinion, but anyone who thinks Huskers were a better hardcore band than Minor Threat is deranged. I think their strength was that both Mould and Hart were great songwriters, but I don't think their hardcore stuff was anything special. Maybe the box set will open my eyes...

Yeah, I doubt anyone would argue with that. There is some hyperbole there. I saw the Huskers many times and always loved the old hardcore stuff - I like LSR and Metal Circus more than New Day Rising onward, although Flip Your Wig worked for me. Bob is playing some of the old hardcore live now - It's Not Funny Anymore happens a lot.

Warehouse doesn't do much for me and that tour was depressing and it was obvious they were coming apart.

Greg is a supreme dick. He still owes me money I'll never see for more than one thing. I did love pre-Rollins Black Flag though.

echelon_john 09-05-2017 02:06 PM

Top 3 favorite bands of all time. And definitely the one that's most in need of re-mixed/engineered sound. So tinny, for what was just a monstrous band on stage!

This is great news.

GOTHBROOKS 09-05-2017 02:20 PM

this band suuuuuuuuuucks and ginns not remixing/remastering anything because that would mean rewriting contracts and he would have to pay ppl for once.

the white zombie vinyl boxset numero did last year looks great though.

Tony Edwards 09-05-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echelon_john (Post 2229731)
Top 3 favorite bands of all time. And definitely the one that's most in need of re-mixed/engineered sound. So tinny, for what was just a monstrous band on stage!

This is great news.

Totally agree. I loved Husker Du - I remember seeing them for the first time at a basement party in junior high in Minneapolis and saw them at least ten times live - but their records tend to sound very tinny.

redir 09-05-2017 02:30 PM

Cool!

ptourkin 09-05-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS (Post 2229737)
this band suuuuuuuuuucks and ginns not remixing/remastering anything because that would mean rewriting contracts and he would have to pay ppl for once.

the white zombie vinyl boxset numero did last year looks great though.

I always thought White Zombie was just something MTV pretended people liked.

Tony Edwards 09-05-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptourkin (Post 2229745)
I always thought White Zombie was just something MTV pretended people liked.

I liked La Sexorcisto at the time.

I remember seeing White Zombie at an in-store in about 1990 and it was striking mostly because Rob Zombie couldn't keep his breath while singing. It was as though he'd run to the venue. Very strange.

marsh 09-05-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93KgBike (Post 2229561)
The only hardcore I still throw on is Bad Brains and GBH. But I play Zen Arcade every once in a while. Maybe you're right, time to visit those boxes in the attic again...

- Both will be at Riot Fest in a few weeks. Seeing GBH Friday night and Buzzcocks Saturday night aftershows. Also Bob Mould played last year.
I remember a few songs from Zen Arcade.