The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Health insurance not covering crash? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=195022)

estilley 10-21-2016 11:35 AM

Health insurance not covering crash?

Anyone ever heard of a health insurance company not covering a crash? Is there a difference between a race and just a ride in their eyes?

As coverage becomes more and more risk-focused I wonder if this could be imminent in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead Man 10-21-2016 11:47 AM

The idea that you could be denied medical insurance coverage because of the nature of the activity that led to the injury.... Madness. Is this actually happening?

stackie 10-21-2016 11:54 AM

Life insurance excludes hang gliding and Mt Everest. My work partner paraglide instead and had to buy a policy just for Everest.

I could see medical insurance saying increased premium for certain activities. They do for smoking. If they don't then everyone's premium would go up to subsidize the higher risk insurees. Though I think it would be hard to deny coverage.

Jon

estilley 10-21-2016 12:06 PM

No evidence of it happening yet, but the collarbone bills started coming in and I did get a questionnaire from the insurance company asking how the accident happened (work,
Sports, etc) and what property it was on and the property owners health insurance company. As it was basically at a public park (high school) and with all the waivers signed, it doesn't seem like anyone could be held liable.

Of course, they'll do whatever they can not to pay, which got me thinking about risk premiums.

Ralph 10-21-2016 12:12 PM

Organized competition? There may be some fine print about that.

Epicus07 10-21-2016 12:22 PM

I suppose if they wanted you to get extra coverage for voluntarily increasing your risk of injury they might be able to get a premium from you. Enforcing it would be expensive and tricky.

ICD-10 codes are specific but not that specific "Pedal cycle rider injured in collision with other pedal cycle"

Your ER notes may mention that you were in a race if it was provided during a short report but i'm not sure the insurance company would have access to those records.

They would have to investigate the claim and i doubt they would.

yngpunk 10-21-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estilley (Post 2063313)
No evidence of it happening yet, but the collarbone bills started coming in and I did get a questionnaire from the insurance company asking how the accident happened (work,
Sports, etc) and what property it was on and the property owners health insurance company. As it was basically at a public park (high school) and with all the waivers signed, it doesn't seem like anyone could be held liable.

Of course, they'll do whatever they can not to pay, which got me thinking about risk premiums.

Let's be fair here. This is about liability and not about not paying. For example, if the injury happened at work, then your employers workers comp could be liable for covering the injury. Pretty standard operating procedure from what I've seen

Mikej 10-21-2016 12:29 PM

They want to know if it was somebodies fault, or it happened because of a business or at the neglect of another party, city side walk crack etc. - if you are in a law suit because of it etc. Insurance company is trying to make sure they have to pay or if they have to chase somebody down due to circumstances - expect a letter every few months for a year or so...

Idris Icabod 10-21-2016 12:29 PM

Funnily enough I'm getting the exact opposite messages from health care providers. I just received an offer that if I cycle 50 miles per month (or week) I could save on health insurance premiums. I'm guessing the benefit of being healthy outweighs the potential costs associated with accidents.

I broke my clavicle a couple of years ago which required surgery and there was no issue with insurance, usual forms seeing if they could pin the costs on someone else, but it was my own stupid fault.

estilley 10-21-2016 12:36 PM

Right, it was definitely just my own fault. No one else even went down around me.

I like the idea of saving on premiums, definitely agree that the health benefits outweigh the risks.

benb 10-21-2016 12:56 PM

I think they are balancing this out against increased health costs due to obesity.. the # of cycling accidents is a blip compared to that, so they'd rather see people biking.

They don't look at motorcycle racing kindly.. but the health benefits are not there for motorcycles.

notsew 10-21-2016 12:57 PM

The risks for accident are tiny for most cyclists. I can't imagine that it outweighs the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. I don't think it would be in an insurance company's best interest to dissuade that type of behavior (cycling).

It would be an interesting question to pose to an actuary.

benb 10-21-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsew (Post 2063356)
The risks for accident are tiny for most cyclists. I can't imagine that it outweighs the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. I don't think it would be in an insurance company's best interest to dissuade that type of behavior (cycling).

It would be an interesting question to pose to an actuary.

This too.. can't believe I didn't mention it.. we had a good thread a while ago, IIRC the risks were lower for cycling than driving, and driving obviously has no positive health effects to balance risk.

The risk perhaps seems bigger to us cause we know lots of other cyclists and there is an internet echo chamber?

ultraman6970 10-21-2016 04:30 PM

When you have a board of directors in every and each insurance company trying to make millions as prime objective, we the normal people of the US is screwed up big time. We can't do a thing, gvmt (sorry had to mention it, and is not a political rant ok? just saying) could do something about it but is not going to happen ever.

Every year insurances going up and coverages are going down, I personally worth more dead than alive. Sucks.

jlyon 10-21-2016 05:23 PM

Subrogration