The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Need a new laptop (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202984)

AJosiahK 04-05-2017 05:20 PM

OT: Need a new laptop

So I've been without a working computer for a good 5 years. Have always gotten away with using one at work, library or my wife's work pc.

Ive not used to newer generations of PCs and am not opposed to it but have naturally gravitated towards Apple stuff and just like their OS etc better.

I tend to use computers mostly for music, photos, writting and of course internet research.

My future will likely include a new and different job and possibly even continued ed.

Is it worth the large sum of money for an Apple product such as a mac book or Mac air, or are there PCs out there that work jus as well for less dollars and less bling.

Whacha think PL pals?

PQJ 04-05-2017 05:24 PM

You are going to get lots of conflicting (and strong) opinions. So let me kick it off...

100% get Apple if you already know and like Apple. The build quality of their products and the way they integrate with each other is top notch. I'm a longtime user of both (Apple @ home, PC @ work) and it is my opinion that Apple makes a far superior product. You could probably get by with a cheaper machine for your intended uses, but if you have the coin and are willing to spend it, it would be money well spent.

Johnny Alien 04-05-2017 05:25 PM

If you are used to the Apple OS and/or are locked into their ecosystem then it might be worth the money. But coming from someone that spent years working exclusively on Macs and loving them I just don't think they are worth the money anymore. They really haven't innovated since Jobs died and basically are just rolling on their past reputation. That said it's still well made hardware so if you like it and don't mind throwing extra money at it you will likely still be happy.

saab2000 04-05-2017 05:27 PM

I'm an Apple guy too. The quality and durability have been great and I have the impression that there is good security on the machine too.

I think they are a premium product, but I'm just a consumer. Not a fanboy in the least but a very happy customer.

p nut 04-05-2017 05:38 PM

I have no bias since I use both. But I will say I *just* retired an 11 year old iMac that has worked great. Won't say how many PC's I've been through in that time, but it was way more than 1.

ntb1001 04-05-2017 05:38 PM

I just switched back to a Mac. I have a macbook pro. I got sick of all of the various windows systems that have been cap...including windows 10.
I'm very happy with the Mac book pro.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ceolwulf 04-05-2017 05:47 PM

If you're considering education and/or career change it would be wise to look into which programs you're likely to need and if any are available only on one platform.

Dell XPS seem to be a good alternative to MacBooks if you need Windows.

fuzzalow 04-05-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Alien (Post 2153687)
If you are used to the Apple OS and/or are locked into their ecosystem then it might be worth the money. But coming from someone that spent years working exclusively on Macs and loving them I just don't think they are worth the money anymore. They really haven't innovated since Jobs died and basically are just rolling on their past reputation. That said it's still well made hardware so if you like it and don't mind throwing extra money at it you will likely still be happy.

That's fine but saying it's not worth it anymore is completely subjective although if the implication is that Apple products are premium priced, no argument there.

Less subjective but valid as a follow up is: If Apple isn't worth the money anymore, then what? So it's not that simple just to not choose Apple, whaddaya gonna do now?

I just bought a space-gray MacPro for Mrs. fuzz, replacing her much older MacPro. Nice machine. I got drafted as sys-admin in my household and I am delighted to never work on or touch a Microsoft OS laptop ever again.

I'm an old timer running Linux on a desktop Xeon workstation. I use an iPad.

vqdriver 04-05-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Alien (Post 2153687)
I just don't think they are worth the money anymore.

i agree with this. just bought a macbook air for the wife and found this video from last year spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

biker72 04-05-2017 07:04 PM

Another vote for Dell XPS.

rnhood 04-05-2017 07:05 PM

Most jobs will require a PC so, you might want to wait and see what is required. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with owning both a PC and a Mac. Given your needs at the moment, I'm inclined to recommend a Mac as others have done. In particular, I would buy the 13" Macbook model along with a larger monitor (any brand is good). It will do everything you need, and a lot more. Once you get a new job, you might need a PC also - especially if working in the corporate environment. If you know that there is a high chance you will be working with a PC in your new job, then go ahead and get a PC now.

Recommending a computer these days is like recommending medical help. Everyone's needs are a bit different.

hollowgram5 04-05-2017 07:14 PM

I have a good friend who works IT at a small college in Minnesota, and he bought a Dell XPS 13 non-touch right before the holidays. Said it is the best laptop he's used or owned in years. All depends on what you really need to do with it.

Schmed 04-05-2017 07:21 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...go_400x400.jpg

I had the (dis)pleasure of working on our customer service rep's PC last week. I haven't worked or used a PC much in the last 10 years, and now I remember why. I can't take all the pop up notices, clunky security warnings, and really don't like the OS.

crankles 04-05-2017 07:25 PM

wow. where to begin.
I have both. everywhere. home and work (I'm a scientist 'embedded' in an IT department for a VERY large company). On my deskcurrently are 4 laptops ...two running windows, one running linux and a mac pro

at home, we have several macs, several PCs plus an embarrassing number of other apple and non-apple IOT things. The mac is great for me as it integrates well with my families proclivity for all things apple....iphone/ipad ..etc. It's simpler for me to manage....plus the mac os is really now just a variant of BSD unix which I'm vary comfortable with.

However, I can't second the 'durability' of macs. In my hands, the macs...several mac minis and macbooks have just up and puked. The PCs on the other hand are like cockroaches.

We deploy and insane number of laptops that get thoroughly abused. The lenovo T460 and X1s are what we are currently deploying. The X1s are a bit fragile, but the T-series are bombproof.

The beauty of the mac is also it's achilles heal. Great integration of packages, that handcuff you to itunes.

i probably didn't make this any easier but alot depends on your current environment.

In my hands, the IBM/Lenovo PCs don't ever die. I never buy support for them btu I ALWAYS buy apple care and have used it almost every year.
The Mac is easier to integrate into home networks if you are not an IT guy and plays nice with just about every device known to man right outta the box.

pick your poison.

MattTuck 04-05-2017 07:29 PM

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/laptops/

Everyone's budget and needs are different. I'm thinking I may get the Dell XPS 15 as my next laptop. I am typing this on a MacBook air that I got my wife a couple of years ago. Quality wise, it is great. Super batter life. I am not part of the apple eco-system, I don't use iTunes, or have any content with them, so there is really very little benefit (other than the nice design and build quality) of mac products. For everything I do day to day, I'm much more efficient on Windows.

All that said, I'd be uneasy recommending a 1500 dollar product to someone who isn't a heavy user.