The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Holy Trump Market (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=197420)

Mikej 12-10-2016 08:06 AM

Holy Trump Market

The how much to retire thread got me looking into my dream - anybody else surprised by their current retirement fund balance in a good way?

Cicli 12-10-2016 08:11 AM

Yep,
On another note. I am in the transportation industry. Our new truck orders are going up. Trucking is on the way up and people are buying new equipment. When freight is moving, things are good.
I am excited about next year. :banana:

thwart 12-10-2016 08:17 AM

This thread is likely to get locked, but...

Given what happened in 2008 pretty much as a result of regulation of the financial industry being too lax, I'd actually want to make sure I had a goodly amount of liquid assets around.

Especially if I was nearing retirement and needed to cash out.

Those who cannot learn from history...

OtayBW 12-10-2016 08:18 AM

Without getting political, I'll just say that the long-term view on investing is often the more pragmatic perspective.

soulspinner 12-10-2016 09:12 AM

ya maybe the market will offset the cuts in SSI that are coming..that I paid into double when self employed...I am ducking now.

echappist 12-10-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thwart (Post 2090453)
This thread is likely to get locked, but...

Given what happened in 2008 pretty much as a result of regulation of the financial industry being too lax, I'd actually want to make sure I had a goodly amount of liquid assets around.

Especially if I was nearing retirement and needed to cash out.

Those who cannot learn from history...

is that a synonym for bigly or big-league?

key is how long the rise in S&P will last. May last 2 years before a correction, or it may be shorter or longer.

One thing we probably won't have to worry about is fights over the debt ceiling sending S&P tumbling, though if you are going to default and renegotiate your debts in the first place, that may be a moot point

bobswire 12-10-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulspinner (Post 2090483)
ya maybe the market will offset the cuts in SSI that are coming..that I paid into double when self employed...I am ducking now.

I doubt they'll mess around with SSI at the oufset since a lot of those who voted for Trump and helped to secure a Rep congress depend on SSI. If they do those voters will switch alliance in a heartbeat next election. Those folks have a tendency to vote agains their own self interests.

soulspinner 12-10-2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobswire (Post 2090490)
I doubt they'll mess around with SSI at the oufset since a lot of those who voted for Trump and helped to secure a Rep congress depend on SSI. If they do those voters will switch alliance in a heartbeat next election. Those folks have a tendency to vote agains their own self interests.

Hope you are correct but this mornings news shows they sure as hell are gonna try.

thwart 12-10-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 2090484)
is that a synonym for bigly or big-league?

Nah.

'Goodly' is quite a bit less than 'HY-UUU-GE'.

Re: SSI... there are enough Republicans still around in Congress who remember when they talked about touching the third rail, way back when 'W' was president. Didn't work out well for the GOP. They'd have to be much more delicate this time... or maybe sneaky.

bobswire 12-10-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulspinner (Post 2090493)
Hope you are correct but this mornings news shows they sure as hell are gonna try.

I think it's a ploy to get a compromise in congress to offer a choice of SSI or Market based investment and hoping to eventually do away with SSI all together. Though I think it will fail.

Tony T 12-10-2016 09:45 AM

Is it different this time?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1Cdo6BMwkL.jpg

Jeff N. 12-10-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikej (Post 2090449)
The how much to retire thread got me looking into my dream - anybody else surprised by their current retirement fund balance in a good way?

In a VERY good way!

regularguy412 12-10-2016 09:48 AM

Even tho' I've never been a big fan of Blood, Sweat and Tears----

To wit: 'What goes up,,, Must come down Spinnin' wheel, gotta go round'

<sigh>

I've still gotta work about 10 years yet, anyways. Lots of change potential during that time frame.

Mike in AR:beer:

regularguy412 12-10-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobswire (Post 2090501)
I think it's a ploy to get a compromise in congress to offer a choice of SSI or Market based investment and hoping to eventually do away with SSI all together. Though I think it will fail.

^^ And for this we can only hope.

Mike in AR:beer:

sparky33 12-10-2016 10:06 AM

It's been a good long ride since 2008, but I get the feeling that it's almost time for me to change out of my long pants and into my shorts.