The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current best prices on Campy? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=105661)

stephenmarklay 03-08-2012 07:32 AM

Current best prices on Campy?

Since it seems like this changes at times I wondered who is doing campy for good pricing currently?

Thinking along the lines of 2011 Athena.

AngryScientist 03-08-2012 07:38 AM

Ribble is showing a full 2012 Athena-11 groupset (alloy) for $742.

I bet you wont beat that price anywhere else. Ribble is super reliable too.

cuda2k 03-08-2012 07:57 AM

I'd give the folks at VeloMine a call/email asking if they'll match Ribble's price. US based company, got my 2010 Athena from them on close out for around 750 if I recall, and was at least a while back matching any UK price on groups.

dpmackey 03-08-2012 08:20 AM

is that ribble in the UK? ( I dont know of any other ribble)

Their price is 559 gbp which is about 880 USD + etc

Cheers

buldogge 03-08-2012 08:34 AM

You have to make sure that you choose USD as your currency and the prices shown will reflect VAT-free pricing.

Having said that...You should give Ben a call!

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpmackey
is that ribble in the UK? ( I dont know of any other ribble)

Their price is 559 gbp which is about 880 USD + etc

Cheers

peanutgallery 03-08-2012 08:35 AM

plus 2 on velomine

Marcusaurelius 03-08-2012 08:38 AM

I've always got very good service from Ribble and their prices are some of the lowest I've found. Athena is $734.87 this morning.

veloduffer 03-08-2012 08:42 AM

Lickbike (Chicago, I think) also has good prices and has offered to match UK pricing. They also have a better selection of slightly older (2009-2010) Campy components, if that's your desire.

stephenmarklay 03-08-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
Ribble is showing a full 2012 Athena-11 groupset (alloy) for $742.

I bet you wont beat that price anywhere else. Ribble is super reliable too.

Well now that is a good price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephenmarklay 03-08-2012 08:50 AM

I would prefer to go with a US company so I will check with Velomine.

Tony T 03-08-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I would prefer to go with a US company so I will check with Velomine.

Why? Campy isn't a US Company ;)
Anyway, another UK company http://www.probikekit.com/us/ also has good prices, and you can get an add'l 10% using their coupon code from their US print advertising, and shipping to the US is free (but takes a few weeks with std shipping)

(I just bought a Chorus cassette for $139 (20% off sale + 10% cpn))

:bike:

d_douglas 03-08-2012 10:44 AM

Shiny bikes

I bought mine from a small biz called 'Shiny Bikes' in the UK. It was cheap and decent service.

http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo...pset-2011.html

PS long live the LBS - sorry Pete :crap: ;)

thegunner 03-08-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony T
Why? Campy isn't a US Company ;)
Anyway, another UK company http://www.probikekit.com/us/ also has good prices, and you can get an add'l 10% using their coupon code from their US print advertising, and shipping to the US is free (but takes a few weeks with std shipping)

:bike:

one word - warranty ;)

velotel 03-08-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Recently bought a Chorus 11-speed for the equivalent of 114$, and that was with the 19,6% tax!

Black Dog 03-08-2012 11:09 AM

I just bought some 11 speed chorus parts for an upgrade. Shiny and Ribble and Maestro were the best prices. Here is a comparison of some the big retailers (mostly UK). Notice the wide range in prices.

.......................Probike/Velomine/Maestro/Ribble/Wiggle/Shiny/Chain Reaction

Shifters Chorus ..318 ...NA...240....214....400....222....301
RD Chorus ........242....229....175....164....306....169...2 31
Chain Chorus.... 52.....55......42......35......65......36......48
Cassette Chorus..175..NA.....131.....95.....175.....99..... .131

stephenmarklay 03-08-2012 11:12 AM

I actually used Shiny during my last build with SRAM. They were good prices then. They are 692!!

dancinkozmo 03-08-2012 11:17 AM

...i can understand why so few shops in the us would bother with campag as long as they allow these crazy price discrepancies to exist .

summilux 03-08-2012 11:25 AM

I had great success with an ebay merchant named planetcyclery when I bought my 2011 SR11 group. They were a few hundred dollars cheaper than anything else I found. Free next day shipping too.

54ny77 03-08-2012 11:34 AM

euro bike shops must be the best currency hedgers on the planet to support product dumping like that. :rolleyes:

i can understand a 10% (+/-) or so discount offered by lower cost/larger scale mail order house for bike stuff (u.s. or offshore based), but 50%+?

that's some f'd up control (or lack thereof) of distribution. talk about screwing the retailer. :no:

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 11:39 AM

Velomine..Ben or David are great to work with and will come to a great price. I have bought three Record groups from them and what's best about them is you get the WARRANTY unlike the Euro shops.

In the end, it's better to purchase here, support 'Merica :) :p

Tony T 03-08-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegunner
one word - warranty ;)

The manufacturer warrants the product, not the seller.

Tony T 03-08-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixedNotBroken
... and what's best about them is you get the WARRANTY unlike the Euro shops.

I don't understand, are you saying that Campy does not honor their product if it is sold in the UK?

thegunner 03-08-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

The manufacturer warrants the product, not the seller.

er... you have to go through the channel from which you bought. the manufacturer warrants it, but it's not like you can just send your shifters to campy...

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

er... you have to go through the channel from which you bought. the manufacturer warrants it, but it's not like you can just send your shifters to campy...

Better said than how I stated it..thank you

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 11:54 AM

Let OldPotato chime in. He can explain it better.

Tony T 03-08-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

ok, so mail the shifters back to the UK retailer instead of a US retailer.
Unless you're suggesting not to buy via mail order, I don't see the point of not buying from the UK.

Edit: You have to send the defect parts to a Campy Service center. There are 4 in the UK, 5 in the US. Other than the cost of international postage, I see no reason to use US mail-order over UK mail-order

akelman 03-08-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

ok, so mail the shifters back to the UK retailer instead of a US retailer?
Unless you're suggesting not to buy via mail order, I don't see the point of not buying from the UK.

Shipping back to the UK is costly and time consuming. Moreover, there are unanswered questions about how warranties work when products are purchased through so-called gray market channels.

To be clear, I'm not saying that people shouldn't purchase things from UK merchants. That's an individual choice. But if a consumer wants warranty protection, it's more certain to buy from a US vendor.

akelman 03-08-2012 12:02 PM

I would also add, as I have many times before, that I think the guys at VeloMine are really terrific.

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akelman
I would also add, as I have many times before, that I think the guys at VeloMine are really terrific.

+1. Thanks again for explaining it better.

Tony T 03-08-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akelman
Shipping back to the UK is costly and time consuming. Moreover, there are unanswered questions about how warranties work when products are purchased through so-called gray market channels.

To be clear, I'm not saying that people shouldn't purchase things from UK merchants. That's an individual choice. But if a consumer wants warranty protection, it's more certain to buy from a US vendor.

We're not discussing grey market. Shipping to a UK Service Center is no more time consuming than shipping to a US Service Center. Might cost a little bit more, and take a little more time to get there, but if this is offset by savings in the purchase price, then it might be worth it.

FYI: Campagnolo limited warranty

So, the warranty will be honored by Campy if bought in the UK, you just have to send it to a UK Service Center ("8. PROCEDURE: In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred ")

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

We're not discussing grey market. Shipping to a UK US Service Center is no more time consuming than shipping to a US Service Center. Might cost a little bit more, and take a little more time to get there, but if this is offset by savings in the purchase price, then it might be worth it.

How about I buy a group from Velomine, you purchase yours from the UK or wherever it's coming from. I'll support what's left of an economy here..we both get the same group and who knows why but we have the same warranty problem. I take mine to my LBS and you ship yours back to wherever it came from..most likely I will be safer and get mine quicker..I think you're taking what Akelman said too literally.

Tom 03-08-2012 12:13 PM

Personally I like Velomine because I can get 10-speed parts, cheap and without the drama associated with some online retailers.

nighthawk 03-08-2012 12:14 PM

What I don't understand is why you (Tony T) are arguing with people who are simply stating they think it more convenient to deal with a US retailer, being US-based customers. It's not a big deal.

Quote:

We're not discussing grey market. Shipping to a UK US Service Center is no more time consuming than shipping to a US Service Center. Might cost a little bit more, and take a little more time to get there, but if this is offset by savings in the purchase price, then it might be worth it.

So, the warranty will be honored by Campy if bought in the UK, you just have to send it to a UK Service Center ("8. PROCEDURE: In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred ")

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighthawk
What I don't understand is why you (Tony T) are arguing with people who are simply stating they think it more convenient to deal with a US retailer, being US-based customers. It's not a big deal.

Well stated..I wasn't trying to argue Tony, it's just more convenient for me to purchase here and spend a little more to keep things local. Cheers guys.

oldpotatoe 03-08-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

I don't understand, are you saying that Campy does not honor their product if it is sold in the UK?

Each item has a tracking code, if the code shows it's not a 'standard' distribution route(gray or black market)-> no warranty. In addition, I've seen a few UK Campagnolo items where that little tag is scratched off->no warranty.

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
Each item has a tracking code, if the code shows it's not a 'standard' distribution route(gray or black market)-> no warranty. In addition, I've seen a few UK Campagnolo items where that little tag is scratched off->no warranty.

Trust this guy ^. He know's all things Italian and Campagnolo.

Tony T 03-08-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixedNotBroken
How about I buy a group from Velomine, you purchase yours from the UK or wherever it's coming from. I'll support what's left of an economy here..we both get the same group and who knows why but we have the same warranty problem. I take mine to my LBS and you ship yours back to wherever it came from..most likely I will be safer and get mine quicker..I think you're taking what Akelman said too literally.

Not discussing Mail order vs LBS. (and anyway, you'll still have to send your defect parts to a US Service Center, so save your receipt!), we're discussing how there is no loss of warranty by buying from UK mail-order.

Liv2RideHard 03-08-2012 12:30 PM

Ribble all the way...

I have been gathering 11 spd alloy Athena bits together as I have the cash for my current modern classic build in progress. I have purchased everything thru Ribble when they have their Campagnolo sales. They have the best interweb pricing. I have compared them all incl velomine. No one can touch them. I asked my good friend who used to own a LBS and was a campagnolo pro shop how they are even less than his COST price. He said the import duties are passed along to the consumer, plus factor in markup and the middle man distributor and there you go. I have no problem purchasing from Ribble. Free fast shipping, no VAT, no tax. Never have had an issue. What is all this warranty talk? I have never had to warranty a campagnolo product and run Campagnolo on all my bikes. I tend to support my local economy in many ways incl my LBS but when it comes to hundreds of dollars on a Campagnolo gruppo, I am going to go Ribble everytime...and all that money I saved...I will spend it right here on this forum buying all of y'alls various items in the classifieds section!

FixedNotBroken 03-08-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Not discussing Mail order vs LBS. (and anyway, you'll still have to send your defect parts to a US Service Center, so save your receipt!), we're discussing how there is no loss of warranty by buying from UK mail-order.

I was using it as an example..good luck. Talk to OldPotato..I am sure he has warrantied parts many times and has dealt with customers who purchased products from the UK.

Tony T 03-08-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighthawk

I'm "arguing" with people who are saying that if you buy from the UK, you lose the Campy Warranty. As I've demonstrated, the warranty is not "lost"