The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Canyon Bikes now available in the US (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=209408)

dbnm 08-15-2017 10:34 PM

Canyon Bikes now available in the US

It appears that the site is now up and running and bikes can be ordered.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/

instantturtle 08-15-2017 10:56 PM

For a consumer direct business, these aren't THAT cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4rk540 08-15-2017 11:08 PM

The Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 is a fantastic value. The DT Swiss wheels and full 9100 retail for over $4000. A Specialized S Works Tarmac or a Cannondale Hi Mod Evo with the same build would be on the floor at over $9000. I've been in the industry for nearly 10 years and I can't recall a big brand bike with those specs for less than 8 grand. Obviously, you're not paying UK mail order prices for Dura Ace from the Big 4, Giant, Trek, Specialized and Cannondale.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/ul...ate-cf-slx-9-0

unterhausen 08-15-2017 11:14 PM

someone remind me why $5000 and up bikes are supposed to cut into the business at the LBS again?

FlashUNC 08-15-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 2220395)
someone remind me why $5000 and up bikes are supposed to cut into the business at the LBS again?

Uh, there's $2,000 bikes and below that on the site.

Lanternrouge 08-16-2017 03:07 AM

These should be a really good deals once the original owners decide to sell them. :banana:

Cicli 08-16-2017 03:58 AM

I am sure they are nice bikes. That said, whats the big deal? Will they cool here in the US now that you can get one?
I bought a big box bike from the S (not sHram) store and cant really imagine it being leaps and bounds better. Just another option.
Like I said, look really cool and I am sure they are nice but whats all the Hubbub. Bub.

belopsky 08-16-2017 06:14 AM

maybe hubhubbhubuhbuhbu is that you can get racey bikes without going to a spesh or trek dealer?

oldpotatoe 08-16-2017 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rk540 (Post 2220393)
The Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 is a fantastic value. The DT Swiss wheels and full 9100 retail for over $4000. A Specialized S Works Tarmac or a Cannondale Hi Mod Evo with the same build would be on the floor at over $9000. I've been in the industry for nearly 10 years and I can't recall a big brand bike with those specs for less than 8 grand. Obviously, you're not paying UK mail order prices for Dura Ace from the Big 4, Giant, Trek, Specialized and Cannondale.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/ul...ate-cf-slx-9-0

So this news thrills you or not? No real surprise, double margin at LBS, remove that margin when direct to consumer. Not the first time a bike/thing maker has gone direct.

R3awak3n 08-16-2017 07:18 AM

all I can think of when I think canyon now, is how UGLY their new cross bike is.

also, what a soft launch, there are barely any bikes in there, no framesets. lame

Bwana 08-16-2017 07:34 AM

I'll be interested when I can get a used Aeroad frame under $1000. :rolleyes::p

54ny77 08-16-2017 08:42 AM

is it time to dance?

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id143633057

Fishbike 08-16-2017 09:30 AM

As long as I don't have to touch your monkey

ColonelJLloyd 08-16-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbike (Post 2220536)
As long as I don't have to touch your monkey

Your agony is gorgeous.

Zey are beautiful and angular.

pncguy 08-16-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3awak3n (Post 2220462)
also, what a soft launch, there are barely any bikes in there, no framesets. lame

This was my reaction. I've been watching them for a while and they've always had a large selection of levels for a given bike - often every level from 105 up to DA. But the launch here is pretty limited. I'm surprised. Probably just a "we build what we think we can sell and any unsold inventory hurts the bottom line." :rolleyes:

Mark McM 08-16-2017 10:15 AM

Earlier in the year Canyon announced that when they launched in the US (late in 2017), they would only be selling 2018 model bikes. As not all 2018 models are available yet, the US web offerings will be a bit sparse at first, and increasing as the new year approaches.

fignon's barber 08-16-2017 10:22 AM

I've been riding Canyon bikes for the past 6 years. They are well thought out, nice performing bikes. You get the feeling that every feature is there for a reason. I wouldn't call them extravagant, like many boutique brands, but solid tools for cycling.

sandyrs 08-16-2017 10:24 AM

I look forward to their full MTB lineup making its way stateside.

jruhlen1980 08-16-2017 11:20 AM

I'll be interested to see how long it takes people to actually receive their bikes.

The website is showing that these models are in stock, but I wonder how accurate that is? The long wait times fulfilling orders in Europe for the past couple years have been well-documented. Are they waiting for sales before they obtain inventory?

54ny77 08-16-2017 11:26 AM

I saw one of their TT bikes in the flesh a few weeks ago. It's very slick. The bento box add-on's are weird looking. Seems like more tt bikes are getting that.

chiasticon 08-16-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R3awak3n (Post 2220462)
all I can think of when I think canyon now, is how UGLY their new cross bike is.

yeah what's up with that weirdo kink in the cx bike TT? I get that they want the TT to be high up for better shouldering, but why the little triangle at the seat tube junction with fastback style seat stays? does that improve ride compliance? were they just ripping off the Colnago design? weird.

for the fat bikes, the Dude looks like a decent price for a full CF fatty. (based on my limited knowledge of such.)

but I agree, it'd be cool to see more configuration options, from framesets on up.

zap 08-16-2017 12:22 PM

Canyon needs a longer stem for their one piece bit.

Until then, I'm out.

Mark McM 08-16-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiasticon (Post 2220622)
yeah what's up with that weirdo kink in the cx bike TT? I get that they want the TT to be high up for better shouldering, but why the little triangle at the seat tube junction with fastback style seat stays? does that improve ride compliance? were they just ripping off the Colnago design? weird.

According to this article on BikeRader, Canyon claims the top tube kink improves ride compliance by increasing the length of the seatpost.

And the reality is, there is more compliance in the seatpost than in the frame.

shoota 08-16-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap (Post 2220628)
Canyon needs a longer stem for their one piece bit.

Until then, I'm out.

Yeah I wonder how easy it is to switch them out for the correct size. Can you customize it upon order? I'm guessing not. So, you'd have to order the correct length after you buy the bike? That would kind stink since I'm sure they aren't cheap.

m4rk540 08-16-2017 04:02 PM

Short stems are the new black.

Lanternrouge 08-16-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 (Post 2220603)
I'll be interested to see how long it takes people to actually receive their bikes.

What I heard was they weren't going live until they were ready to really be live and actually deliver. If that's not how things really are, we will definitely hear about it. The website does indicate what's in stock. They are supposed to have a showroom at their US office, so I'll report when I check it out.

quickfeet 08-16-2017 06:38 PM

The prices are nothing special until you get into the über bike categories... also that cx bike is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Canyon was supposed to be the lbs world killer, but this is a solid meh.

m4rk540 08-16-2017 06:47 PM

Keep in mind that those who were anticipating Canyon's entry into the US market are not in the $1500 bike demographic. So, it's possible the company is looking to satisfy pent up demand first and then pursue the mainstream segment.

zap 08-16-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rk540 (Post 2220735)
Short stems are the new black.

Black is cool.

In this regard, Canyon is not.

simonov 08-17-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickfeet (Post 2220780)
The prices are nothing special until you get into the über bike categories... also that cx bike is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Canyon was supposed to be the lbs world killer, but this is a solid meh.

Also keep in mind that Canyon was supposed to be the LBS killer like 5 years ago when rumors started that they'd start shipping here. My guess is the moment has passed. Agreed on the solid meh.

maxn 08-17-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 2220726)
Yeah I wonder how easy it is to switch them out for the correct size. Can you customize it upon order? I'm guessing not. So, you'd have to order the correct length after you buy the bike? That would kind stink since I'm sure they aren't cheap.

You used to be able to customise stem length when you bought it, but as of last year they made you get the stock bike and then change the stem AFAIK. Pretty stupid, and it took around a month to get a longer stem. I think it was 35 or so euros. That is just for a stem, not the fancy integrated stem/bar

shoota 08-17-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxn (Post 2220947)
You used to be able to customise stem length when you bought it, but as of last year they made you get the stock bike and then change the stem AFAIK. Pretty stupid, and it took around a month to get a longer stem. I think it was 35 or so euros. That is just for a stem, not the fancy integrated stem/bar

Ugh. And that's why I hate proprietary stuff. It just needlessly complicates things.

macaroon 08-17-2017 02:22 PM

Yes, the stems/headsets/oversized steerer tube are a bit crap. I ended up fitting a Giant headset top cap and a Giant stem to mine.

They're a bit "meh" TBH, not exciting, but they do the job and are great VFM.

Clean39T 08-17-2017 05:41 PM

A riding buddy of mine didn't want to wait and WENT TO GERMANY to get his Canyon AllRoad DA-Di2 earlier this year (well, and he also went to visit family).

I'm not gonna lie, it's a sweet bike. But that's some serious dedication.

And yes, I told my wife about it multiple times. It's helpful to benchmark others' bike-lust craziness to normalize your own.. :fight: :eek: :banana:

Lanternrouge 08-17-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clean39T (Post 2221242)
And yes, I told my wife about it multiple times. It's helpful to benchmark others' bike-lust craziness to normalize your own.. :fight: :eek: :banana:

When asked about how many bikes I have, my response is fewer than . . . .
That avoids the disagreement of whether a bare frameset counts.

buddybikes 08-17-2017 07:33 PM

Aren't these things made by Giant? These are German "engineered" not manufactured (correct if I am wrong)

Lanternrouge 08-17-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 (Post 2221278)
Aren't these things made by Giant? These are German "engineered" not manufactured (correct if I am wrong)

They are not German manufactured and I don't think they ever claimed to be. Like most companies, I believe they are pretty tight-lipped about what factory(ies) make their bikes.

m4rk540 08-18-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

No need to romanticize a real world, non-glamorous manufacturing process aka "handicraft". Manual labor is hard.

With any highly engineered race bike, I'd rather it be made in Taiwan by a serious working person who has years of experience than by an art school dilettante in Germany or England or Italy. And that's a premium worth paying for; your teeth and bank account will thank you.

Mark McM 08-18-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

These are German "engineered" not manufactured (correct if I am wrong)

And that would be different from just about all other high-end bicycles how?

It also depends on what you mean by "manufactured". While the frame and components of Canyon bikes are made outside of Germany, complete bicycles are assembled in Germany.

You do realize that very few American bicycle companies produce their frames and components in the US, right? The big American bicycle companies (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale) all produce their frames in Asia.

This is hardly unique to the bicycle industry. Many American companies do the majority of their manufacturing outside the US. Apple computers and cellphones, Nike athletic shoes, and Levi's denim jeans, just to name a few.

FlashUNC 08-18-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

A lot of stuff is made by Giant that doesn't have their logo on it.