The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Campagnolo Wishlist for Eurobike 2015 (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173291)

jambee 08-25-2015 03:32 AM

Campagnolo Wishlist for Eurobike 2015

So Eurobike 2015 is about to get going and I am really crossing my fingers that our friends in Vicenza, Italy are about to make some significant announcements.

High on my wish list:

Gear Range. I'd like a cassette that ranges from 11 to 34.

Disk Brakes. Wake up folks. Everyone has this, it's time. I have been using a combination of TRP Spyre and Campy Record levers. It's ok, but not awesome. Full integration and true hydraulic disks will be welcomed.

1x11. With bigger cassette range and hydraulic disk brakes, it will be natural to release a CX-specific group set.

What's your Campagnolo wish-list?

martl 08-25-2015 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambee (Post 1812708)
Disk Brakes. Wake up folks.

AFAIK there was/is/will be a behind-closed-doors presentation of Campa's disk brake system for OEMs.

jambee 08-25-2015 04:01 AM

One has to ask one self why would Campy do something like this? A behind close doors demo for OEM is likely to go hand in hand with an NDA. I will speculate that the reason to do this is to show something that is not ready and possibly to collect feedback that could go into a revision before release.

That is likely to translate into nothing for consumers in 2015, possibly not before Q2 2016. Pity.

slinkywizard 08-25-2015 05:07 AM

tubular neutrons!

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 05:52 AM

Quote:

So Eurobike 2015 is about to get going and I am really crossing my fingers that our friends in Vicenza, Italy are about to make some significant announcements.

High on my wish list:

Disk Brakes. Wake up folks. Everyone has this, it's time. I have been using a combination of TRP Spyre and Campy Record levers. It's ok, but not awesome. Full integration and true hydraulic disks will be welcomed.

1x11. With bigger cassette range and hydraulic disk brakes, it will be natural to release a CX-specific group set.

What's your Campagnolo wish-list?

Campagnolo follows trends, market speak, etc, less than the other big S, and certainly less than, 'lets get it out now-we'll fix it later', other "S" group maker.

Doubt they will do the big cogset gig, BUT you can do that now with shimano 11s and a Campagnolo mid or long cage rear der.

Yes, they will do disc brakes, for good or ill. Probably with Formula, another Italian company. BUT remember, Campagnolo is aimed at the racer, high-ish end enthusiast..not the dirt guys.

1by makes no sense. With the superior front shifting of shimano and Campagnolo, why sacrifice gearing and make a huge gap rear cogset(that may not be good for anybody), instead of a front der? I have never understood what about 'gravel' or cross riding means your front der won't work?

Cross racers don't need a 10-40, 1by setup. Most in Europe don't even 'need' or want wet disc brakes...

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambee (Post 1812711)
One has to ask one self why would Campy do something like this? A behind close doors demo for OEM is likely to go hand in hand with an NDA. I will speculate that the reason to do this is to show something that is not ready and possibly to collect feedback that could go into a revision before release.

That is likely to translate into nothing for consumers in 2015, possibly not before Q2 2016. Pity.

Except well made, very functional, reliable, well shifting mechanical and electronic groupsets and a wheel lineup that is more versatile and second to none..pity. shimano really won't have anything 'new and amazing'..sram will, and we'll see if it stands the test by consumers..

BTW-2015 bike shows is all about 2016, in spite of the silly product intro calendar that starts in late summer. Bike shops everywhere are discounting 2015 product(and also losing $ doing so) for the 2016 stuff, being introduced now-silly.

jambee 08-25-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1812722)
Campagnolo follows trends, market speak, etc, less than the other big S, and certainly less than, 'lets get it out now-we'll fix it later', other "S" group maker.

Doubt they will do the big cogset gig, BUT you can do that now with shimano 11s and a Campagnolo mid or long cage rear der.

Yes, they will do disc brakes, for good or ill. Probably with Formula, another Italian company. BUT remember, Campagnolo is aimed at the racer, high-ish end enthusiast..not the dirt guys.

I ride dirt, I tour, I ride road and I want the same system of shifting on all of them.

I spoke to a compagnolo representative in March at the Berlin bike show. He said that the most requests they get are for a bigger gear range cassette. Campagnolo does not make any long cage derailleurs for their 11 gears setup so if they do bring something out, they may bring a new derailleur as well.

I pointedly asked the same fellow if they are working on Disk Brakes with Formula. His answer was "God NO". So we have to see.

I also disagree with your last statement - any company is aiming to increase market footprint, customer base and revenues. The way to do this is to appeal to more riders. Lets see what happens!

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jambee (Post 1812728)
I ride dirt, I tour, I ride road and I want the same system of shifting on all of them.

I spoke to a compagnolo representative in March at the Berlin bike show. He said that the most requests they get are for a bigger gear range cassette. Campagnolo does not make any long cage derailleurs for their 11 gears setup so if they do bring something out, they may bring a new derailleur as well.

I pointedly asked the same fellow if they are working on Disk Brakes with Formula. His answer was "God NO". So we have to see.

I also disagree with your last statement - any company is aiming to increase market footprint, customer base and revenues. The way to do this is to appeal to more riders. Lets see what happens!

Except this one.

Campagnolo has been kinda iconic for a while. They are not the 'everything to everybody' type company. They just deleted one of their low end groups while improving the top 3. They care zero for 'gravel grinding', a little in cross, not much. Their forte is SR/Record/Chorus..They don't care about 'gravel grinding' the same way Porsche isn't interested in making a truck or Rolex making a electronic watch. Small company with a much different philosophy. If that doesn't suit some riders, like Rapha, they say 'oh well'. It's not always about the $/Euro/Lira/etc.

They appeal to more riders by making better stuff, the stuff they make.

jambee 08-25-2015 06:30 AM

I stand corrected regarding the real derailleur. It's funny since they write that this component is optimized for the use with triple cranks and 29 teeth cassette :-)

Lets see what comes out. With folks like Rotor coming out with a full groupset the market might become even more competitive at the high-end...

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambee (Post 1812735)
I stand corrected regarding the real derailleur. It's funny since they write that this component is optimized for the use with triple cranks and 29 teeth cassette :-)

Lets see what comes out. With folks like Rotor coming out with a full groupset the market might become even more competitive at the high-end...

Hydrastic shifting..internal hydraulic lines.....yikes, like taking a digital aircraft, and making it back into analog with torque tubes, cables and chains..

FSA with 'wireless lite' group:eek:..we'll see but Campagnolo, IMHO, has pretty good grasp of who they are and where they want to go.

jr59 08-25-2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambee (Post 1812735)

I doubt Campy really cares at all. Those of us that ride it, will always ride it. As an example, indexed shifting. It took Campy a long time to bring those to market, not to even bring up brifter shifting.

jambee 08-25-2015 06:56 AM

There is a German saying that really fits well here. This is entirely from my perspective as a campy rider:

Hope dies last.

Let me hope and dream.

merckx 08-25-2015 07:03 AM

I would like to see, and purchase a Campag. 47/57 reach brakeset. Would also like the silver hubs back in production.

FlashUNC 08-25-2015 07:47 AM

Campy has always done their own thing, for good or ill.

The last thing they need to do is chase someone like SRAM.

I'd be happy with Record hubs in a variety of drillings.

velomonkey 08-25-2015 08:08 AM

They've been talking about the death of Campy since the 90s MTB boom.

They said the same for Apple.

SRAM's worry isn't campy, it's Shimano. Shimano learned to live in a world with Campy, clearly they hate SRAM. Not sure why anyone would select SRAM over Shimano.

And as Elder Spud said, forget not Campy's wheels. Those things rock.

My only wish - bring back record hubs in silver and various spoke holes.

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velomonkey (Post 1812790)
They've been talking about the death of Campy since the 90s MTB boom.

They said the same for Apple.

SRAM's worry isn't campy, it's Shimano. Shimano learned to live in a world with Campy, clearly they hate SRAM. Not sure why anyone would select SRAM over Shimano.

And as Elder Spud said, forget not Campy's wheels. Those things rock.

My only wish - bring back record hubs in silver and various spoke holes.

Almost was in the late 80s, early 90s...MTB stuff.

shimano has put it to sram on OEM..beat them in their own game. Now sram is 'attacking' fringe areas, like gravel and cross(yes, yes, cross is big but small and short compared to road/MTB stuff), 1by, wet road caliper(huh?), road disc....

Record hubs, even black ones, in 28 and 36, along with Centaur or Veloce in 32 and 36..my only wish but with Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels..not sure why they make hubs at all.

I still think eventually there will be an Asian produced 'Fulcrum' group-for OE, but that's not high on Campagnolo's list if on it at all-OE.

SeanScott 08-25-2015 09:01 AM

This is totally random but I wish Campy would start making Automobile wheels again. It would be so cool for an owner of a Ferrari to buy.

zap 08-25-2015 09:13 AM

12 speed.

That would make for a real nice 11-25 set. Even 27 if one needs that so you can discuss world affairs with your buddies while ascending a 18% grade.

Carbon Shamal-just because.

r_mutt 08-25-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanScott (Post 1812827)
This is totally random but I wish Campy would start making Automobile wheels again. It would be so cool for an owner of a Ferrari to buy.

my old Alfa Romeo GTV6 had Campagnolo wheels- that was a nice touch.

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanScott (Post 1812827)

Back in the dark days of late 80s Campagnolo was truly on the ropes. What Valentino did was sell/close everything Campagnolo except bike stuff. Auto wheels also some cast stuff for aviation. They also had an offer from Mavic to purchase, glad he said no.

reggiebaseball 08-25-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Is this topic a "Campagnolo wish list" or a list of things that have no place on a road bike - I vote for the latter.

I wish that Campagnolo would NOT try to sell us a bunch of new-fangled junk that nobody needs.

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggiebaseball (Post 1812884)
is this topic a "campagnolo wish list" or a list of things that have no place on a road bike - i vote for the latter.

I wish that campagnolo would not try to sell us a bunch of new-fangled junk that nobody needs.

doh!!:)

dana_e 08-25-2015 10:26 AM

my favorite time of year

Campagnolo announcements: I remember when they went ten speed, then 11

Why go to 11, because we can

Agreed the Fulcrum and Campy wheels are superior

Mark McM 08-25-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1812722)
I have never understood what about 'gravel' or cross riding means your front der won't work?

When riding on un-improved trail surfaces, front shifting still works, but it does become more problematic. High drag/low speed situations (such as riding uphill on loose surfaces) doesn't allow for the changes in power to the ground that front shifting often entails (rear shifting is difficult enough in these situations).

In addition, rapidly varying terrain doesn't require the ability to finely adjust gear sizes, so large jumps between gears are better tolerated (and often desired).

These two factors combined make wide ranged rear cassettes not only tolerable, but often desireable. If the rear cassette is wide enough to give the full range of gearing desired, and the size jumps between gears are tolerable, why bother with a front derailleur?

dana_e 08-25-2015 10:52 AM

1x

1 x is whatever. i thought the idea of going 11 was less jumps from gear to gear

Now i need a 1 x with a 34 on back?

If I bought a mtn group I would get double or triple. no way 1 x

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark McM (Post 1812917)
When riding on un-improved trail surfaces, front shifting still works, but it does become more problematic. High drag/low speed situations (such as riding uphill on loose surfaces) doesn't allow for the changes in power to the ground that front shifting often entails (rear shifting is difficult enough in these situations).

In addition, rapidly varying terrain doesn't require the ability to finely adjust gear sizes, so large jumps between gears are better tolerated (and often desired).

These two factors combined make wide ranged rear cassettes not only tolerable, but often desireable. If the rear cassette is wide enough to give the full range of gearing desired, and the size jumps between gears are tolerable, why bother with a front derailleur?

Hmmm, front ders, particularly shimano, are not 'problematic', in fact almost automatic(and indeed on XTR di2, it is). And sorry, a 4-6 tooth gap IS an issue as is the front chainring 'selected' then finding its either too big or too small. 'Rapidly changing terrain' would call for smaller gaps, not larger.

Lots of marketing going on by one company who is trying to do something the others guys aren't, imho.

But if ha like it and it works, great but I agree with the other poster, 1by on a road bike makes no sense to me.

And as a MTB rider, I'll take at least 2 if not 3 chainrings.

El Chaba 08-25-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggiebaseball (Post 1812884)
Is this topic a "Campagnolo wish list" or a list of things that have no place on a road bike - I vote for the latter.

I wish that Campagnolo would NOT try to sell us a bunch of new-fangled junk that nobody needs.

This resonates with me. I have to say, though, that Campy's support for their existing products is pretty good.....and certainly without par in the bike industry...They could further differentiate themselves from the competition by doing even more of that. There have been production runs of record 10 speed shifters, derailleurs and some centaur rear derailleurs as well....also certain cassettes long dropped from the catalog have had some production runs to fill in holes in the supply. How about a run of silver record brakes?....a run of silver record hubs?....They don't even need to catalog them...

Kirk007 08-25-2015 11:40 AM

Second the post re tubular Neutrons. Will Campy announce a wider Rim?

danield 08-25-2015 12:26 PM

Third the tubular neutrons. I'd actually love to see a budget alloy tubular for CX.

I'd also like to see a budget 11 speed cassette. It seems they could just combine Veloce and Athena into entry level 11 at this point if 12 speed is on the horizon.

oldpotatoe 08-25-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danield (Post 1813049)
Third the tubular neutrons. I'd actually love to see a budget alloy tubular for CX.

I'd also like to see a budget 11 speed cassette. It seems they could just combine Veloce and Athena into entry level 11 at this point if 12 speed is on the horizon.

12s isn't on the horizon. I expect Veloce will be 11s soon, if not this year.

thirdgenbird 08-25-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark McM (Post 1812917)

This is why I love 1x on my mountain bike. I wouldn't consider it on a road bike outside of a city bike. I could live with a single speed or 3spd however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danield (Post 1813049)

Veloce and Athena are virtually identical outside of the gear count. 11 is likely here for a while given a whole new generation just came out, but I could see 10 going away. I'm also with potato. It wouldn't surprise me to see an entry level fulcrum group. Realistically, they could probably eliminate Veloce, make Athena silver only and then release a black version of Athena under the fulcrum name.

I also think it's too early to say "wake up" regarding discs. Campagnolos core market it road/race. Top end race frames with disc tabs are just starting to hit the market. If they announce a group at eurobike, I would say they are just in time. I am yet to see a road bike (not cross) in the wild equipped with shimano's hydraulic setup. Campagnolo doesn't need to branch into new markets to increase their customer base, there is room in their existing market. There are pleanty of companies that are more singular focused than Campagnolo that survive.

My guesses in the next few months:

I am guessing we see more of their wheels adopting their new rim width spec, I think we will see a disc setup, and it also wouldn't surprise me to see a larger range cassette. 11-32 if I had to guess.

Russian bear 08-25-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk007 (Post 1812981)
Second the post re tubular Neutrons. Will Campy announce a wider Rim?

Boras are already 24.5mm.

Cheaper 11 speed consumables would be nice. Those Chorus cassettes put a hurt on the wallet.

saab2000 08-25-2015 01:07 PM

I want a Super Record groupset that weighs much less, lasts far longer, has greatly reduced drivetrain friction, is vastly stiffer for quicker shifts, is more much aerodynamic and costs a lot less.

Other than that I have no wishes.

drewellison 08-25-2015 01:13 PM

Campagnolo Espresso

I want a Campagnolo Espresso machine with an ergo filter basket handle, hydraulic brass boiler, and a built in indexed (11 setting, heck, let's go to 12 settings) grinder.

merckx 08-25-2015 01:43 PM

I still want 47/57 caliper brakes.

dana_e 08-25-2015 01:54 PM

something better go 11

new alu four arm cranks

no more 10

soulspinner 08-25-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 1812784)
Campy has always done their own thing, for good or ill.

The last thing they need to do is chase someone like SRAM.

I'd be happy with Record hubs in a variety of drillings.

YES silver or black...oh and the Campy corkscrew carbon edition...

dpk501 08-25-2015 03:23 PM

That might be the best narrative of what kind of company campagnolo is that I've ever heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1812729)
Except this one.

Campagnolo has been kinda iconic for a while. They are not the 'everything to everybody' type company. They just deleted one of their low end groups while improving the top 3. They care zero for 'gravel grinding', a little in cross, not much. Their forte is SR/Record/Chorus..They don't care about 'gravel grinding' the same way Porsche isn't interested in making a truck or Rolex making a electronic watch. Small company with a much different philosophy. If that doesn't suit some riders, like Rapha, they say 'oh well'. It's not always about the $/Euro/Lira/etc.

They appeal to more riders by making better stuff, the stuff they make.

dpk501 08-25-2015 03:28 PM

I want to see a new carbon internals reworked campy delta brake....

Please make something that looks that good again!!!!

d_douglas 08-25-2015 03:58 PM

For the time being, I am done buying expensive bikes, as I have other places my money needs to go (they usually jump on me at 6am every day), BUT if Campy comes out with a reliable hydro disc brake setup, I am game. I will sell off the other crap that I am hoarding to make that happen, as Campy shifting and REAL disc brakes would be the ultimate combination.

Other than that, I am happy with what they provide now. I used my first-gen Chorus 11spd yesterday, and it worked like a damn.