The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Ray, how's your Bitcoin investment going? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=127744)

Louis 04-11-2013 04:03 PM

OT: Ray, how's your Bitcoin investment going?

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/imag.../11/361201.jpg

Andrewlcox 04-11-2013 04:25 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5994229/this-vide...-three-minutes

jlwdm 04-11-2013 06:04 PM

I wish I had some from the first of the year when it was $13.50.

Jeff

slidey 04-11-2013 06:13 PM

I watched this interview a few days back about Bitcoin in the hope of trying to understand it better. Unfortunately it cast a poor impression on the product, thanks to the very vocal rep they sent across. :confused:

Ahneida Ride 04-11-2013 06:18 PM

But no-one under vis et armis compelled you to use em.
Not the case with Feudal Preserve green stanps.

I'm in Feudal Preserve notes. The other Fiat currency.

I loose 6% a year.

The guy who started the Liberty Dollar is being accused of
Terrorist activities.

Llewellyn 04-11-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride (Post 1328959)
But no-one under vis et armis compelled you to use em.
Not the case with Feudal Preserve green stanps.

I'm in Feudal Preserve notes. The other Fiat currency.

I loose 6% a year.

The guy who started the Liberty Dollar is being accused of
Terrorist activities.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

samsays 04-11-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidey (Post 1328955)
I watched this interview a few days back about Bitcoin in the hope of trying to understand it better. Unfortunately it cast a poor impression on the product, thanks to the very vocal rep they sent across. :confused:

Mohawk man speaks the truth. A true visionary for personal freedom from centralized systems and inherent corruption. Power to the people! :banana:

MattTuck 04-11-2013 09:16 PM

Bitcoin was the new gold, but it's so played out now.

Palladium is the new bitcoin. you heard it here first ;)

MattTuck 04-11-2013 09:24 PM

Also hilarious...

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/...s-close-up/?hp

Winklevoss twins own 1% of all bitcoins.

samsays 04-11-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTuck (Post 1329103)
Also hilarious...

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/...s-close-up/?hp

You mean The Winklevii...

rounder 04-11-2013 09:44 PM

I was going to suggest Paceline Bits as a new currency for bike parts, etc. It would require a leap of faith that would probably never happpen. There is no substitute for cash.

Louis 04-11-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTuck (Post 1329103)

And they took a bit of a hit today...

Ahneida Ride 04-12-2013 09:50 AM

Actually frns = bitcons..

almost all frns are not paper (cash) ....
they are just data entries in a computer spreadsheet.

We are not FORCED to accept bitcons ...
We are COMPELLED to accept frns. :( :help: :no: :butt: :mad:

frn = non federal non reserve non note

The fed is a private central bank, you will not find it in the phone book
under government agencies. No more federal the fed ex.

It has no reserves ...

It's notes do not specify the terms of redemption, hence are NOT notes.

goonster 04-12-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride (Post 1329372)
No more federal the fed ex.

The Fed was created by an act of Congress, and its board is appointed by the President.

So, yes, it is more federal than FedEx.

ClutchCargo 04-12-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

It has no reserves ...

Really?
So what?

jlwdm 12-06-2013 10:20 PM

It is interesting to go back and read the the two bitcoin threads from April and May. The first thing to note is do not take financial advice from a bike forum.

Bitcoins are volatile and who knows where they will go from here, but they have gone up 10 times since April.

The Winklevoss twins are up $100m since this thread if they are still holding.

Virgin Galactic will accept bitcoins for space travel and someone just bought a Tesla S with bitcoins. No real risk as the sellers immediately lock in a price for the bitcoins.

Jeff

Louis 12-06-2013 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Buy low, sell high. ;)

jpw 12-07-2013 03:28 AM

but who is satoshi nakamoto? 'he' mined straight the first several hundred thousand bitcoins, and holds a position to move the market, up or down.

the bitcoin hash was created by the NSA.

China is not stupid.

Germany_chris 12-07-2013 05:00 AM

I was going to chime in and say they hit $1000 but looks like that's been done

Fishbike 12-07-2013 05:50 AM

Rather invest in silver Campy. . .

Ahneida Ride 12-07-2013 06:13 AM

Congress has relinquished is fiduciary responsibility to a private corporation.
It return, it gets all the funding it needs via a back door method.
The private corporation gets to create $ outa thin air and charge interest
on nothing. The subsidiaries of the private corporation (commercial banks)
can then the practice the Ponzi Scheme of "fractional reserve" knowing that
the private corporation is there is bail em out.

We the people looses about 6% per year of our purchasing power.
This fed reserve dilution tax is the most pernicious tax of all.
We now rent out homes, cars and educations from banks.

Since this private bank controls our nations money supply, It
controls the politicians.

-----------------

"The few who understand the system, will either be so interested from it's profits or so dependant on it's favors, that there will be no opposition from that class." — Rothschild Brothers of London, 1863

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

"Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce." — James A. Garfield, President of the United States

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
Already they have raised up a monied aristocracy that has set the government at defiance.
The issuing power (of money) should be taken away from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs." — Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President.

"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance." — James Madison

"People who will not turn a shovel full of dirt on the project (Muscle Shoals Dam) nor contribute a pound of material, will collect more money from the United States than will the People who supply all the material and do all the work. This is the terrible thing about interest ...But here is the point: If the Nation can issue a dollar bond it can issue a dollar bill. The element that makes the bond good makes the bill good also. The difference between the bond and the bill is that the bond lets the money broker collect twice the amount of the bond and an additional 20%. Whereas the currency, the honest sort provided by the Constitution pays nobody but those who contribute in some useful way. It is absurd to say our Country can issue bonds and cannot issue currency. Both are promises to pay, but one fattens the usurer and the other helps the People. If the currency issued by the People were no good, then the bonds would be no good, either. It is a terrible situation when the Government, to insure the National Wealth, must go in debt and submit to ruinous interest charges at the hands of men who control the fictitious value of gold. Interest is the invention of Satan." — THOMAS A. EDISON

and finally ....

The last President to circumvent the fed, issuing United States Notes ,was the Honorable John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

oldpotatoe 12-07-2013 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

It has no reserves ...

Big sigh, again. I'm sure there are places you could go where you are not so compelled to live under the mighty thumb of the US Government or the Federal Reserve bank.

Barter, like Alaska, I'm sure you could sell your tape for a trapped critter of some sort...

Everytime I see one of your posts I think of..

Closet anarchist or a star of 'Doomsday Preppers'.

Fishbike 12-07-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1463769)
Big sigh, again. I'm sure there are places you could go where you are not so compelled to live under the mighty thumb of the US Government or the Federal Reserve bank.

Barter, like Alaska, I'm sure you could sell your tape for a trapped critter of some sort...

And then make more tape out of said critter. . . .

T.J. 12-07-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbike (Post 1463770)
And then make more tape out of said critter. . . .

Beaver Pelt Bar Tape :banana:

akelman 12-07-2013 08:16 AM

Ray, I know that Louis baited you with this thread, and I'm sorry he did that. Everyone here, including me, appreciates all that you do for this place. As I've said before, thank you. That said, the Rothschilds? The money changers?

Wilkinson4 12-07-2013 08:33 AM

The gods of money… Anybody see this news story from a few days ago

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57614038-76/uk-man-tries-to-retrieve-$7.5-million-in-bitcoins-from-dump/

mIKE

cfox 12-07-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akelman (Post 1463781)
Ray, I know that Louis baited you with this thread, and I'm sorry he did that. Everyone here, including me, appreciates all that you do for this place. As I've said before, thank you. That said, the Rothschilds? The money changers?

this surprises you? ill-informed internet rants about the Fed/banking are almost always peppered with either subtle or overt anti-semtism.

ckamp 12-07-2013 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1463769)
Everytime I see one of your posts I think of..
Closet anarchist or a star of 'Doomsday Preppers'.

+1 or even:

"I'm Finding BitCOINS"

54ny77 12-07-2013 05:04 PM

those stupid currency rants are tiresome on this place, a BIKE forum, and the guy hypes and sells his handlebar tape in exchange for the much maligned "frn."

how do you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?

does being an admin allow one to do this kind of crap, on so many threads? if a regular user did this, they'd probably be asked to take a time out.

the worst example was this thread. so inappropriate: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=139187

unfortunately the forum software does not allow putting an admin on "ignore" so as to hide their posts from viewing. sure would be a nice fix.

#campyuserftw 12-07-2013 05:19 PM

Bitcoin is the latest funny money:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...#axzz2mplLLFNo

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...950323990.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...china-ban.html

I think our Federal Reserve is a joke. I believe Cubits will take over, once again:

Battlestar Galactica - Cubits
South Park - Parshon (space of cash)
The Flintstones - Clam
My Little Pony - Jangles
Bladerunner - Chin-Yen
Legend of Zelda - Rupee
Star Wars - Galactic Credit Standard
Star Trek - Federation Credit

avalonracing 12-07-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #campyuserftw (Post 1464031)
I think our Federal Reserve is a joke. I believe Cubits will take over, once again:

Battlestar Galactica - Cubits
South Park - Parshon (space of cash)
The Flintstones - Clam
My Little Pony - Jangles
Bladerunner - Chin-Yen
Legend of Zelda - Rupee
Star Wars - Galactic Credit Standard
Star Trek - Federation Credit

Paceline Forum- Rapha

akelman 12-07-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfox (Post 1463848)
this surprises you?

No, of course not. As you say, antisemitism is one nasty element of goldbuggery. But by all accounts, Ray's a very good guy. My hope, then, was that if I confronted him, gently, with the offensive implications of the quotes he included in his post, he might think twice before passing along that kind of stuff in the future.

Louis 12-07-2013 07:17 PM

Given the numerous complaints over the years, if he hasn't changed by now it seems unlikely that he'll bother to change in the future.

I don't think anyone can be so unaware of how his continued postings on the FRM subject appear to others (like a cracked record, the same thing over and over again), and Ray's a pretty smart guy, so I can only conclude that he doesn't really believe that stuff, and he's doing it for fun. Otherwise, the alternative (that he really does believe it, and thinks that his postings sound rational) is pretty silly. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I agree, subtle, or not so subtle antisemitism is not acceptable, whether written by a poster or in a quote.

#campyuserftw 12-07-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 1464071)
Given the numerous complaints over the years, if he hasn't changed by now it seems unlikely that he'll bother to change in the future.

I don't think anyone can be so unaware of how his continued postings on the FRM subject appear to others (like a cracked record, the same thing over and over again), and Ray's a pretty smart guy, so I can only conclude that he doesn't really believe that stuff, and he's doing it for fun. Otherwise, the alternative (that he really does believe it, and thinks that his postings sound rational) is pretty silly. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I agree, subtle, or not so subtle antisemitism is not acceptable, whether written by a poster or in a quote.

You started a thread where you called out "Ray" in the initial post title, looking for a reaction, to incite him. I think what you did, subtle or not, was mostly wrong, somewhat unfair, and perhaps an apology to Ray is in order.

Peace and cheers people: it's the Holidays, and that's not subtle.

:beer: :eggnog: :beer:

Louis 12-07-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #campyuserftw (Post 1464077)
You started a thread where you called out "Ray" in the initial post title, looking for a reaction, to incite him. I think what you did, subtle or not, was mostly wrong, somewhat unfair, and perhaps an apology to Ray is in order.

Dude, you need to go back and see when this thread was first started.

This isn't a new thread, and dates back to when there was a flurry of interest in Bitcoins; before you were even a member of this forum (or at least in your current incarnation). That's why what I initially posted was the price of Mt Gox, and if you look at the tone of the discussion it's about bitcoins, not Ray. It has since turned into a "Ray and FRNs thread" which is a separate issue.

Before you appoint yourself judge of all that is right on the forum and run around asking for apologies for other folks, I suggest you figure out what's really going on.

Louis

#campyuserftw 12-07-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akelman (Post 1463781)
Ray, I know that Louis baited you with this thread, and I'm sorry he did that.

+1, agreed.

Cheers and Happy Holidays, may Hanukkah and Christmas bring peace and prosperity, coins or no coins, to all.

Shortsocks 12-07-2013 09:30 PM

I still believe that Standard is better then compact. And that all compact people are idiots. :banana:

Louis 12-07-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #campyuserftw (Post 1464127)
+1, agreed.

Cheers and Happy Holidays to all, may Hanukkah and Christmas bring peace and prosperity, coins or no coins, to all.

Ari's a long-time member, a good guy, and I consider him a friend, so I decided to let that go. I have no clue who you are, but you decided to pile on, asking that I apologize. Sorry, but both you and Ari are wrong on this. All you have to do is go back and see what was posted in the thread when it first went up. Even when JLWDM brought the thread back to life, it was about bitcoins, not about Ray.

akelman 12-07-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #campyuserftw (Post 1464127)
+1, agreed.

Cheers and Happy Holidays, may Hanukkah and Christmas bring peace and prosperity, coins or no coins, to all.

I'd rather not end up in the middle of you and Louis. As I understand it, Louis and Ray have been giving each other grief for years about this stuff. Moreover, I missed that the OP was from months ago. That was my mistake.

Louis 12-07-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortsocks (Post 1464128)
I still believe that Standard is better then compact. And that all compact people are idiots. :banana:

Triple is best of all. :p

http://legalbeer.com/images/westmalle%20tripel.jpg