The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "They're Trying to Kill Us" - Blog Post on Above Cat (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211428)

FlashUNC 09-29-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etu (Post 2240762)
Hey Matt,
You're lucky to be riding on the roads up by Rogue River! I remember our Alpine Dam/Seven Sisters ride, but I must be so jaded to aggressive traffic that I can't recall the truck incident. As others have noted, the traffic around Mt Tam, especially weekend traffic, has become really bad.
More bikes plus more cars equals more confrontations and unfortunate crashes like this one are bound to happen. However an US vs THEM mentality does nobody any good.

Well, the "them" is killing the "us." How long should we turn the other cheek?

In the first four pages of General Discussion alone, we have threads on people getting hit by dump trucks, someone shooting pellet guns at riders he compared to vermin, and an NYPD officer arrested for his interaction with a cyclist. Never mind the regular threads about distracted driving, road rage, and the like.

The Oliver Twist "Please don't hit us" approach ain't working.

Elefantino 09-30-2017 07:29 AM

It's a rare day that this place disappoints me.

Today is a rare day.

Jgrooms 09-30-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2240773)

In the first four pages of General Discussion alone, we have threads on people getting hit by dump trucks, someone shooting pellet guns at riders he compared to vermin, and an NYPD officer arrested for his interaction with a cyclist. Never mind the regular threads about distracted driving, road rage, and the like.

I agree with you. Its a cesspool out there and you don’t just slip a toe in when cycling-you dive in.

However, what’s the upside to seeking to add to the rage? Maybe it makes one feel good at the moment? On the other hand you may get shot or in this case brake checked. You certainly aren’t going to win the hearts and minds of your attacker, whether it be intentional or a mistake. Let alone those around who most likely don’t share in the right to the road argument.

Move on, take a breath, turn off, change your route. That’s not Oliver Twist, that’s simply the only control one has. Because, I’ll assure you the Apocalypse Now approach will get you nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobswire 09-30-2017 09:28 AM

In any case he was traveling too close at that speed, that tells me road rage took over common sense. We've all experienced it in one form or another, in this case it had dire consequences for the cyclist and possible felony assault as well as drivers license suspension and insurance penalty (justly) against the driver (whose road rage was to teach the cyclist a lesson) now he'll have to deal with the consequences. It all started out as taking a nice ride up Mt. Tam for both parties.

Heisenberg 09-30-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2240773)

“We have met the enemy, and he is us.”

simplemind 09-30-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobswire (Post 2240827)
In any case he was traveling too close at that speed, that tells me road rage took over common sense. We've all experienced it in one form or another, in this case it had dire consequences for the cyclist and possible felony assault as well as drivers license suspension and insurance penalty (justly) against the driver (whose road rage was to teach the cyclist a lesson) now he'll have to deal with the consequences. It all started out as taking a nice ride up Mt. Tam for both parties.

Good summary. :bike: