The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Serotta's new bikes? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=201436)

shovelhd 03-06-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

As for dirt and gravel, I’ve ridden all of my past road bikes with 20 & 23 tires on dirt and gravel roads without a problem. Amodomio is designed around 25-28 sizes. You don’t need bigger. Just ride it.
He got this part right. Way too much agida over big tires these days.

rwsaunders 03-06-2017 08:53 AM

30 fillet brazed frames/bikes @ $13,000 = $390,000
30 TIG welded frames/bikes @ $10,000 = $300,000

Total sales $690,000

I'm not sure of the cost of materials and parts but that's a nice gig if you can get it. With the gains in the DJIA over the past few months, there may be a few folks out there who have some returns to redistribute and Ben is no stranger to that income base. I'm waiting for the matching Silca floor pump though....

PS the site indicates that 12 fillet brazed units are sold and 5 TIG welded units are sold...sales to date $206,000.

lemondvictoire 03-06-2017 09:02 AM

Seems great Ben Serotta is back doing what he knows best... and I'm sure everyone is happy for him and the increased value of what we own right now..... Now who is going to be the first here to review one of Ben's new bikes? :fight:

happycampyer 03-06-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colker (Post 2137387)
And i don´t know why he cannot sell you the frame only.

There is a very small number of builders who operate this way. Sacha White with his Vanilla brand is one of them--the frame and fork start at a little over $7K, but one cannot by the frame and fork alone. The parts specs aren't as locked down as these are, so there's more flexibility in terms of how much extra cost the complete bike is.

I don't know what the prices are for the various component packages, but my swag is that it leaves a frame and fork price in the $5 - 6K range. So it's about the same price as a top-model Pinarello, not twice. As far as whether a Pinarello is better or worse than any of the custom bikes that are beloved on this and other boards is another matter altogether.

As compared to other custom steel bikes, which is really the best comparison, these have to be among the most expensive out there. The Vanillas cost more, but are more elaborate in both construction and paint. There are only two or three other builders I can think of who command such a premium. The difference is that those builders have been honing their craft at the bench for decades. And then there are other phenomenal builders--some of whom worked for Ben--who have been at the bench for decades as well, and don't charge as much. I just don't see how a tig'd steel bike made by BSB or FWW stands out.

tuscanyswe 03-06-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colker (Post 2137393)
It´s a tig welded steel frame w/ a red coat of paint. Give the option of frame only. It´s not a diamond ring nor a magic object capable of mysterious travels in space and time.
In 5yrs you will buy it used on ebay. How much?

A fillet brazed disc frame / fork thats limited to 25-28 tires so no real winter bike? hmm not my cup of tea right now but taste can change so perhaps in 5 years its something i would be interested in.

Lets say i was into a frame like that for argument sake. I would pay about 3x what i would pay for the dogma. Wether that is 2000, 1500 or 1000 time will tell .)

PQJ 03-06-2017 09:22 AM

I love my Serotta but the prices of these bikes are totally out of wack. Still, I wish Mr. Serotta the best of luck and here's hoping he can Make Serotta Great Again.

Rusty Luggs 03-06-2017 09:54 AM

I don't think it's a particularly good choice even for the excess disposable income poser folks. Nobody will know what it is, you'll have to explain to folks what it is and why it's special, and after you do, nobody will care.

charliedid 03-06-2017 10:23 AM

There is no real reason to compare these bikes to other current builders offerings, they are what they are. They are only "overpriced" if he doesn't sell them or you can't afford one.

My guess is that he sells every one of them.

bob heinatz 03-06-2017 11:12 AM

Ya,I think Ben will sell them all at retail pricing. My guess is the last 10 - 15 bikes will take a long time to move. Would I buy one if I had the $13,000 burning a hole in my pocket? I would be tempted but pass.

John H. 03-06-2017 11:20 AM

$

This is great for the well heeled bike collector that wants to support what Ben is doing in 2017- But no way that it makes sense for a bike that has to stack up to what others are making.
You can get a lugged Bedford or Kirk- and they are at the top of their game and better priced.
Fillet- Can also find a lot of fillet guys who do really nice work with reasonable turnaround and price. Steve Rex comes to mind.
Tig- look to further than a Zanc.
Heck, you could get a frame from any of these guys, an electric group, and a set of lightweight wheels for 13k-

Dale Alan 03-06-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliedid (Post 2137487)
There is no real reason to compare these bikes to other current builders offerings, they are what they are. They are only "overpriced" if he doesn't sell them or you can't afford one.

My guess is that he sells every one of them.

You nailed it.

oldpotatoe 03-06-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzalow (Post 2137414)
Dear 'old Ben was never going down that shopping cart path ever again.

I rather dislike the pretentious rip off of the Italian vibe in the name of the bike. I wanna like Ben but there have been so many screw ups and ridiculous decisions he's made that there is nothing he can do that doesn't reek of something lacking credibility.

And although I am the last person to begrudge him for charging what he wants to charge for a bike, that asking price is self elevating and reflective of a builder of far greater stature and fame than Ben himself warrants, deserves and has earned. This whole adventure feels wrong to me. But in fairness, Ben has been on a completely different wavelength than me for a long time so it's perfectly reasonable that I don't get it.

Well said, far better than me.

bobswire 03-06-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2137558)
Well said, far better than me.

Me too.

Elefantino 03-06-2017 12:11 PM

There are 60 dentists out there who will snap these up.

beeatnik 03-06-2017 12:11 PM

If you are (or believe you are) a diamond dealer, you don't jump into the cubic zirconia market just because you can't read (every fluctuation in) the diamond market.

Wealth is wealth.