The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New footage of spectator incident with Van der Poel at Paris-Roubaix (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=306000)

72gmc 04-18-2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx (Post 3374373)
I see a lot of 'burn the witch' reactions about this, but it looks like the hat harmlessly bounced off his bike and he MVdP continued without incident. What am I missing here?

Make sure she floats first. Who has a duck?

crankles 04-18-2024 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72gmc (Post 3374463)
Make sure she floats first. Who has a duck?

She had turned him into a newt earlier in the week....

rallizes 04-18-2024 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crankles (Post 3374461)
At the speed he was travelling, a spoked wheel is basically a solid disc relative to something like the hat....and it bounced right off. However, imagine if the hat had sailed right in between the front tire and frame. It could have just as easily jammed up the front wheel/fork, locked it up and sent him sailing. I've had not too dissimilar incidents with seeming small sticks on the trail jamming up a front wheel...not probable, but possible

Exactly.

She is a moron and was likely hoping to cause some kind of spectacle.

I am on the fence as to whether she should be burned at the stake but she certainly should be named and shamed forever.

People really can be remarkably stupid.

weisan 04-18-2024 05:44 PM

After watching the video several times, and focusing on her facial expressions and the people beside her, knowing there's no way she can get away with it, i think I am gonna give that lady the benefit of doubt. In the midst of the excitement and chaos, she might have lost her grip and unintentionally let go of the cap.

It has happened to me before.

Glad it didn't cause any crash.

Vientomas 04-18-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

I see a lot of 'burn the witch' reactions about this, but it looks like the hat harmlessly bounced off his bike and he MVdP continued without incident. What am I missing here?

Let me know next time you go for a ride and the route you take, I'll line up some people to throw various objects at you as you pass. Maybe the objects bounce off, maybe they don't. It would be an interesting experiment. Am I missing anything here?

XXtwindad 04-18-2024 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weisan (Post 3374485)
After watching the video several times, and focusing on her facial expressions, i think I am gonna give that lady the benefit of doubt. In the midst of the excitement and chaos, she might have lost her grip and unintentionally let go of the cap.

Hard to see how this is the case. Her physical posture alone signals her intent. She stoops to get a lower angle. Her intent was clearly to make contact with the wheels.

Maybe she’s stupid. Or drunk. Some of the most egregious acts of criminality have involved both characteristics. Drunken stupid people are still liable for their actions.

shoota 04-18-2024 09:43 PM

Quote:

After watching the video several times, and focusing on her facial expressions and the people beside her, knowing there's no way she can get away with it, i think I am gonna give that lady the benefit of doubt. In the midst of the excitement and chaos, she might have lost her grip and unintentionally let go of the cap.

Bro, please don’t ever become a detective. Wow lol

dana_e 04-18-2024 10:23 PM

Euro Karen

Maybe try a chop stick, or something more inspired. She will get her karma.

makoti 04-18-2024 10:48 PM

Quote:

Did you watch it with your eyes closed? That was about as clear as you could ask for. Not accidental. With malice? Why else do it?
If it wasn't on purpose, I think you'd see some shock at what just happened.
Maybe she thought she was watching Cycling's version of Tom Jones and that she had to throw some article of clothing at him

robt57 04-18-2024 10:52 PM

Quote:

Intent pretty much.

zmalwo 04-18-2024 11:04 PM

“It was clearly never my client’s intention to harm the rider in question. Let alone that she wanted to bring him down. No right-thinking person would do something like that, right?” the lawyer said.

i think she was very much in the right of her mind to do what she did. She waited patiently until the rider is passing her then tossed the cap on his wheel to try to jam it to cause a crash.
Why isn't she arrested?

robt57 04-18-2024 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmalwo (Post 3374580)
“It was clearly never my client’s intention to harm the rider in question. Let alone that she wanted to bring him down. No right-thinking person would do something like that, right?” the lawyer said.

i think she was very much in the right of her mind to do what she did. She waited patiently until the rider is passing her then tossed the cap on his wheel to try to jam it to cause a crash.

Why isn't she arrested?

At the risk of repeating myself, "Intent pretty much"

JedB 04-19-2024 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying (Post 3373332)

Fat
C7nt

fijichf 04-19-2024 06:50 AM

It was clearly never my client’s intention to harm the rider in question. Let alone that she wanted to bring him down. No right-thinking person would do something like that, right?” the lawyer said.

So the attorney is claiming insanity as the rationale behind his client’s act? I’d have more respect had he claimed stupidity and I always love when attorneys use the word “clearly”, because in most cases, it’s quite the opposite.

charliedid 04-19-2024 07:09 AM

You guys really still worried about this? LOL

Don't you have some rim brake tracks to clean or something?