The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=174630)

Louis 09-19-2015 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk (Post 1827466)
This is going to hurt them on a real way.

I sure hope so.

The other question will be whether or not there are any criminal charges are well. GM just payed a massive fine for the ignition stuff, but as far as I know, no criminal charges. Let's hope they can pin something on the VW guys.

summilux 09-20-2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akelman (Post 1827144)
I mean, if you can't trust German industrialists, who can you trust?

Ashley Madison

mjb266 09-20-2015 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk (Post 1827400)
Because they put the change in the code to make the car perform better and more reliably. I'm not willing to make my car worse because some politicians want to make hybrid cars seem better.

Dude, go drive the turnpike from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and notice how the trees don't grow on the ridges. Go check out Bethlehem steel and look at the odd vegetation (or lack thereof). Emissions and acid rain are real. Acid mine drainage is as well. As are all the superfund sites. Your libertarian bent screws over the rest of us in ways not seen for a hundred years. Take your awesome diesel car and head over to China where air quality is carcinogenic.

They cheated and got caught. You are caught up in their cheating and refuse to acknowledge it.

Much easier to blame a politician than a brand you chose to believe in.

jds108 09-20-2015 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb266 (Post 1827498)
Dude, go drive the turnpike from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and notice how the trees don't grow on the ridges. Go check out Bethlehem steel and look at the odd vegetation (or lack thereof). Emissions and acid rain are real. Acid mine drainage is as well. As are all the superfund sites. Your libertarian bent screws over the rest of us in ways not seen for a hundred years. Take your awesome diesel car and head over to China where air quality is carcinogenic.

They cheated and got caught. You are caught up in their cheating and refuse to acknowledge it.

Give grawk a break, he's got more important things on his mind. Just wait and he'll tell us...

mistermo 09-20-2015 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk (Post 1827357)
The standards were made to make it impractical to sell diesel passenger vehicles, rather than to do actual good. They were intended to favor gas/electric hybrids. I guarantee my tdi engine, as sold today, is a cleaner running engine than any gas vehicle per mile today, or any vehicle sold prior to 2012.

I drive a tdi and I hope these statements are true, but believe they are not. I would very much like to be proven wrong.

slowgoing 09-20-2015 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk (Post 1827466)
What VW did was set it up so that a key emissions piece of equipment doesn't operate under normal driving conditions but does during the emissions test. The reason for this is simple......the piece of equipment tends to wear out in about 30,000 miles and the regs say that VW needs to cover it for many years (I think ten but not sure) so........by leaving it turned off virtually all of the time it will never wear out and they will never be forced to replaced these under warranty.

Good explanation. Thx.

grawk 09-20-2015 06:27 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure it wasn't tdi engines that caused any of that. Burning coal with no SO2 or NOx remediation is a real problem.

binxnyrwarrsoul 09-20-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Or any interstate/turnpike, better yet watch the news when there's a snowstorm that closes one or at night when there's construction and what will you see. Miles of idling tractor trailers and the very present smell of diesel fumes. Never bought into diesel being the cure all, 37 to 42 mpg every day of the week (my calculations not some live the fantasy numbers from a VW advert) in my "dated tech" '06 Honda Civic.

oldpotatoe 09-20-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul (Post 1827545)
Or any interstate/turnpike, better yet watch the news when there's a snowstorm that closes one or at night when there's construction and what will you see. Miles of idling tractor trailers and the very present smell of diesel fumes. Never bought into diesel being the cure all, 37 to 42 mpg every day of the week (my calculations not some live the fantasy numbers from a VW advert) in my "dated tech" '06 Honda Civic.

My mixed city/hwy mileage on my 2013 tdi SW has been consistently 38-42mpg for 40,000 miles. Am I sweated up about all above? Nope. Love my tdi.

shovelhd 09-20-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summilux (Post 1827496)
Ashley Madison

I love my TDI. It's had the update and it performs the same. VW will be forced to cover the effected part for as long as I care about it. I hope it's not my last diesel vehicle. It's the effect on the marketplace that I am most concerned about.

SlackMan 09-20-2015 09:23 AM

I hope the following provides some useful information to help estimate how VW might handle warranty issues. It involves a somewhat similar situation with a series of Volvos (of which I owned one), albeit Volvo did not appear to have acted with intent to defraud EPA.

http://www.autosafety.org/1999-2002-...hrottle-module

alancw3 09-20-2015 04:00 PM

damage control:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/volksw...130056594.html

Louis 09-20-2015 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alancw3 (Post 1827755)

They're sorry they were caught is more like it, and now wishing they had done a better job disguising the naughty behaviour.

oldpotatoe 09-20-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 1827479)
I sure hope so.

The other question will be whether or not there are any criminal charges are well. GM just payed a massive fine for the ignition stuff, but as far as I know, no criminal charges. Let's hope they can pin something on the VW guys.

Really? GM=VW...didn't know anybody died because VWs emission gig.

Oh, nobody did.

Louis 09-20-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1827764)
Really? GM=VW...didn't know anybody died because VWs emission gig.

Oh, nobody did.

Just because someone doesn't die in a fiery crash doesn't mean that the additional pollution didn't do any damage.

oldpotatoe 09-20-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 1827766)
Just because someone doesn't die in a fiery crash doesn't mean that the additional pollution didn't do any damage.

Damage from death or alleged damage from some TDIs emission part? To equate the GM issues and these is 'misguided', regardless of how serious those relatively small numbers of TDIs might be and their impact might be to you.

Louis 09-20-2015 04:30 PM

Peter, I'm not sure what your point it.

GM should have had more than a just a fine.

VW should have more than just a fine.

Dustin 09-20-2015 04:40 PM

OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 1827769)

Yes, as with so many financial institutions that paid only a fine without so much as acknowledging any wrongdoing.

Increasingly it seems that if the rule for normal people is "commit the crime and do the time," the rule for the powerful is only "do the crime and pay the fine."

Deux poids, deux mesures.

SlackMan 09-20-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackMan (Post 1827573)
I hope the following provides some useful information to help estimate how VW might handle warranty issues. It involves a somewhat similar situation with a series of Volvos (of which I owned one), albeit Volvo did not appear to have acted with intent to defraud EPA.

http://www.autosafety.org/1999-2002-...hrottle-module

Sorry, my bad in linking to the wrong article. The punchline is that Volvo extended warranty to 10 years or 200,000 miles. I suspect that something similar could be agreed to in VW's situation.

old fat man 09-20-2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

He has no point, he has a biased opinion as a tdi owner. Same as his opinion on campy and hand built wheels.

I too have a biased opinion when I use or own something I really like. I have a biased opinion that mike zanconato makes the best steel bikes period.

Rada 09-20-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin (Post 1827773)
Yes, as with so many financial institutions that paid only a fine without so much as acknowledging any wrongdoing.

Deux poids, deux mesures.

Or get a bail out and a big bonus

oldpotatoe 09-20-2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

My point is the GM case that involved people getting killed is not the same as this about emissions equipment. One is heinous, the other isn't, imho.

Louis 09-20-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1827811)
My point is the GM case that involved people getting killed is not the same as this about emissions equipment. One is heinous, the other isn't, imho.

True, and both need to be punished appropriately.

oldpotatoe 09-20-2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fat man (Post 1827801)
He has no point, he has a biased opinion as a tdi owner. Same as his opinion on campy and hand built wheels.

I too have a biased opinion when I use or own something I really like. I have a biased opinion that mike zanconato makes the best steel bikes period.

You are right about
-love my TDI...hopefully my last car
-I would rather walk than use Shimano and certainly never spam
-I will never own a 'wheelouttabox'..

christian 09-20-2015 06:42 PM

Will Winterkorn survive Monday? I give him until Wednesday because getting the VW board together will inexplicably take them two days. He was already damaged goods. He's definitely out this week.

I find it amazing how many people are willing to excuse deliberate fraud by a company to fail to comply with a federal statute. I like VWs but this should be punished severely. Laws only matter if deliberate breaking of them results in significant punishment.

oldpotatoe 09-20-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 1827812)
True, and both need to be punished appropriately.

I agree....appropriately...

akelman 09-20-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian (Post 1827832)
I find it amazing how many people are willing to excuse deliberate fraud by a company to fail to comply with a federal statute. I like VWs but this should be punished severely. Laws only matter if deliberate breaking of them results in significant punishment.

This is right on. I'm always amazed at how people seem to equate the things they buy with their core identity, but I guess that's what happens in a culture of consumption. For my part, I've loved my Sportwagen TDI, but I expect never to do business with VW again.

Anarchist 09-20-2015 07:59 PM

Did I mis something?

Has it been proven, other than in newspaper articles, that this actually happened?

cinema 09-20-2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchist (Post 1827868)
Did I mis something?

Has it been proven, other than in newspaper articles, that this actually happened?

yeah ceo apologized

p nut 09-20-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Did I mis something?

From the Yahoo article linked earlier:
"We have admitted to it to the regulator. It is true. We are actively cooperating with the regulator," a Volkswagen spokesman said on Sunday"

m_sasso 09-20-2015 09:25 PM

Other Volkswagen news https://vid.me/YdCg

binxnyrwarrsoul 09-20-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

Did I mis something?

"We have admitted to it to the regulator. It is true. We are actively cooperating with the regulator," a Volkswagen spokesman said on Sunday.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/volksw...130056594.html

goonster 09-21-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian (Post 1827832)

Agreed 100%. This really is egregious, and quite rare in its scope and brazenness. Criminal charges against individuals would not be out of place.

I've heard suggestions that VW acted in good faith, but that appears to be BS because regulators have been asking very specific questions about varying emissions levels, and the company denied at length.

VW has announced an external investigation. German legislators are asking if similar tricks were used in Europe.

ergott 09-21-2015 04:47 AM

Sales on new models halted. I wonder what this means for owners. I do love the car and hope the fix (I assume there has to be one at this point) doesn't drastically effect the car. I could afford a loss of a few hp over the loss of mileage.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-tells...ars-1731923302

christian 09-21-2015 05:10 AM

There won't be any performance impact of mileage impact - the NOx catalyzer is effectively a heated element in the exhaust pipe that traps specific exhaust particles. It's all downstream from the combustion chamber. The fix is to put a new program on, or "reflash" the engine management computer so the computer tells the NOx catalyzer to stay on all the time.

The only impact will be you'll have to replace the NOx catalyzer more frequently. Perhaps every 30-40,000 miles rather than never. But given this, consumers will never pay a dime for that.

bthornt 09-21-2015 05:31 AM

stock market weighs in

Volkswagen's stock price falls 20%, follow the link: http://www.usnews.com/news/business/...emission-tests

ergott 09-21-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian (Post 1827984)
There won't be any performance impact of mileage impact - the NOx catalyzer is effectively a heated element in the exhaust pipe that traps specific exhaust particles. It's all downstream from the combustion chamber. The fix is to put a new program on, or "reflash" the engine management computer so the computer tells the NOx catalyzer to stay on all the time.

The only impact will be you'll have to replace the NOx catalyzer more frequently. Perhaps every 30-40,000 miles rather than never. But given this, consumers will never pay a dime for that.

Thanks, good to know.

Ralph 09-21-2015 06:40 AM

Sales of new and used 4 cyclinder TDI's halted. This affects values. I imagine some lawsuits will follow. This mess will take a while to unravel.

But hey.....We have a orphan Mercury we inherited from my wife's Mom. Not worth much, so we just drive it.

45K10 09-21-2015 06:49 AM

I loved our 2013 Jettawagon TDI but we traded it in for a 15 Rav4 back in March ( more room for the baby). I am really surprised that VW would willingly violate the law like that. I wonder how high up the ladder that decision went?

LJohnny 09-21-2015 07:39 AM

OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian (Post 1827984)

I am confused. So if this has no impact on the performance of the vehicle then why did they turned it off and only to be on while tested for emissions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk