The Paceline User Agreement
ThePaceline.net Cycling Forum User Agreement
Access to The Paceline forum is free. You must register in order to post messages. We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. Users who do not may be asked to leave or may be banned without notice at the discretion of the moderators.
Although the staff of The Paceline forum will attempt to keep objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of The Paceline, the forum administrators or moderators, or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.
So what is The Paceline for?
• For viewing and browsing or for posting civil discussions by cycling enthusiasts about almost any cycling-related topic, whether products, history, lore, events, bike fit or physical fitness, the riding experience, etc.
• To discuss a variety of "off topic" non-cycling subjects within the bounds of usefulness and good taste as determined by the moderators.
• A marketplace for the sale of cycling products by Paceline forum members.
The Paceline Forum is NOT . . .
• For persons to express negative feelings for persons of any gender, race, religion, national origin, etc. The Paceline will not tolerate bigotry in any form, including posts intended to incite expressions of bigotry from others.
• For individuals or companies to promote their products, goods, services or themselves. If you are interested in advertising on The Paceline, please contact the moderators. Our rates are very reasonable and you can help support the site while reaching a targeted audience. While manufacturers, designers, frame builders, sponsored riders and others with a connection to the industry are welcome to post, and even encouraged to do so, we ask these people to focus on providing information and participating in the discourse rather than on engaging in pure promotion.
• For individuals or companies in the bicycle (or any other) industry to denigrate or disparage a competitor, a competitor's product or a competitor's service.
• For commercial purposes. The Paceline classified section, in particular, is intended for private party cycling gear for sale, or gear wanted postings only. A "private party" is an individual who is not engaged in an ongoing cycling-related business endeavor, and whose posting is not related to an ongoing cycling-related business endeavor of any kind. The Paceline Classified forum exists so that forum members can sell their used, personal equipment and gear. It is NOT intended for traders who buy new equipment elsewhere (i.e, Ebay, Craigslist), which is intended for resale. Also note that the classfied section is the only place where items may be advertised for sale by members. No listings of items for sale are allowed in other sections or via thread titles, signature lines, or other posting elements.
• For anyone whose obvious purpose in the view of the moderators is to harass, threaten, anger, slander, or discredit other forum members.
• For discussion of partisan political topics. If a discussion devolves into partisan politics it will be shut down by the moderators and the thread may be deleted. Experience has taught us these discussions inevitably deteriorate.
• For posting personal information (e-mail address, address, telephone, etc.) of any individual other than yourself.
The Paceline Forum Rules of Conduct
The Paceline forum is intended to be your virtual neighborhood tavern or coffeehouse, open 24/7, where you can always have a seat and find fellow cycling enthusiasts from all over the world willing to share information, fellowship and good times discussing subjects of mutual interest.
• The Golden Rule: "Don't be a jerk." Keep in mind that whatever you say here may be read by other Forum members of almost any age or gender from anywhere in the world, with different cultures, politics, religions, and beliefs. Is it something you would not be comfortable saying to any of those forum members in person? If not, then it should probably not be said here, either.
• Advertisements: You may not advertise other websites, via posts, PMs, or signatures. The purpose of this rule is to prevent spammers from abusing our forum.
• Links: Links to potentially offensive websites are not to be posted to The Paceline Forum, and will be removed at the sole discretion of the moderators. Links to subjects being discussed are always welcome.
• Objectionable Content: You may not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise in violation of any law.
• Personal Information: You may not post personal information (e-mail address, address, telephone, etc.) of any individual other than yourself.
• Harassment: Respect toward fellow members is expected and required. You agree not to harass, flame, insult, taunt, or otherwise disrespect any member of this forum. Polite and intelligent disagreement is expected and inevitable in this type of forum. Personal attacks are not permitted at any time.
• Copyrights: You may not infringe on others' copyrights. Do not post others' copyrighted photographs or images, and do not cut-and-paste entire articles onto The Paceline Forums. When referencing copyrighted work, post a short excerpt with a link back to the original.
The Paceline forum is for your personal use with no explicit or implicit legal or financial liability to the sponsors, owners and moderators, current or future. The moderators reserve the right, without warning or notice if necessary, to disable posting abilities and ban from the forum anyone that violates any of the terms of membership. The moderators also reserve the right to delete posts or threads without notice or warning in situations that reflect badly on the forum.
The terms of this agreement may be revised as necessary, and it will be your responsibility to refer to this agreement periodically to remain informed. Usage of this site and message board will confirm your acceptance of these terms.